Workflow Soluiton

View Only
  • 1.  Error when saving Settings File for Workflow Install

Posted Sep 03, 2015 10:37 PM

I'm trying to use the "Save My Settings to File" button on the "System Check" page of the installer for Workflow itself.

It keeps generating the following error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.ArgumentNullException: String reference not set to an instance of a String.
    Parameter name: s
       at System.Text.Encoding.GetBytes(String s)
       at Symantec.Workflow.Installer.Core.WebConfiguration.WebConfigurationProvider.Encrypt(String clearText)
       at Symantec.Workflow.Installer.WizardPages.SystemCheckPageUI.sbSaveSettings_ButtonClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripSplitButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

The actual install runs fine but I can't get a settings file out for re-use.  There are bunch of assemblies listed after the message but I have left them off to save space and I don't think they add any value.

Has anyone else seen/solved this?  Symantec.Workflow.Setup.7.6.4383.487.exe & Symantec.Workflow.Setup.7.6.4383.exe show this behaviour.  My install is on Server 2012 R2.

• 2.  RE: Error when saving Settings File for Workflow Install

Posted Sep 10, 2015 11:42 AM

This has been reproduced and raised as a defect.

• 3.  RE: Error when saving Settings File for Workflow Install

Posted Sep 17, 2015 01:40 PM

Hi Lark,

This has been fixed and found in a new WOrkflow Build https://symantec.box.com/s/cahsfd6wupoe4rdedc010b9tcrm7z3md

This will be posted to TECH232630.

• 4.  RE: Error when saving Settings File for Workflow Install

Posted Sep 18, 2015 03:55 PM

Thanks for following this.  I'm working on improving the consistency of our installs and this will be a big help.  Would there perchance be a command line switch to use this xml file as part of a silent install?

• 5.  RE: Error when saving Settings File for Workflow Install

Posted Sep 18, 2015 07:49 PM

Yes, you can silently install Workflow via command line. It's how the SMP installed the Workflow service on the SMP itself. It looks something like this:

Symantec.Workflow.Setup.exe /S /INPUT=<blah.xml>

In the above, the /S indicates silent install, and the /INPUT indicates a path to an settings XML for an install.