Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Duplicate AD-imported clients & RU5

• 1.  Duplicate AD-imported clients & RU5

Posted Sep 23, 2009 10:31 AM

In SEPM 11.0 MR4 MP2 , Security Status reports that a computer that no longer exists (including in AD--for a month) hasn't run a scan (also for a month!). And I have 2 duplicate clients from a machine that has recently had a NIC transfusion and OS reinstall. In my case, since I imported the the entire AD hierarchy, and therefore have User OUs as well as Computer OUs in SEPM, the 2 duplicates show up as Users. So they can't be cleared by running the workaround script because the duplicates are not in Default Group.

After upgrading in place to SEPM 11.0 RU5, all 3 problems remain. SEP clients remain for the moment at SEP 11.0 MR4 MP2.

Will these problems eventually clear themselves? Or will I need to delete the imported OUs and start over (again).

• 2.  RE: Duplicate AD-imported clients & RU5

Posted Sep 23, 2009 10:40 AM
    Hi Jeff,

I think the link will be crucial to resolve your issue, as it specific to remove the duplicate entries in the SEPM database:
    http://127.0.0.1:9090/servlet/ConsoleServlet?ActionType=ConfigServer&action=CleanClients

Best,
    Aniket

• 3.  RE: Duplicate AD-imported clients & RU5

Posted Sep 23, 2009 10:55 AM
    I'll try it...my understanding was that this only worked if the duplicates were in Default Group, but maybe that's wrong.

And am I correct that this issue will not re-occur with RU5?

• 4.  RE: Duplicate AD-imported clients & RU5

Posted Sep 23, 2009 11:07 AM
    The documentation does say this clears duplicates in Default Group. See my original post; they're not in Default Group. If you're not aware of this, if imported AD includes user OUs, and users in those OUs log on to an affected computer, User objects appear in SEPM in the User OU instead of appearing as duplicate Computer objects in Default Group. The script does not handle these.

Tried the script anyway on your recommendation and bumped SEPM for good luck. Didn't work: They're still there.

• 5.  RE: Duplicate AD-imported clients & RU5

Posted Oct 23, 2009 02:21 PM
    I don't see any script there.

When I enter that URL in a browser, all I see is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
      <Response ResponseCode="0" />

• 6.  RE: Duplicate AD-imported clients & RU5

Posted Oct 23, 2009 02:38 PM
    If you are running SEP with a MSSQL database then tech support can provide you with SQL scripts to detect and remove duplicates.

You're experiencing the exact reason we stopped using the AD interface - too much hassle if someone changes a piece of hardware on a computer.  To us it's less of a hassle to manually manage groups.

• 7.  RE: Duplicate AD-imported clients & RU5

Posted Oct 23, 2009 03:41 PM
    I am not using an SQL database.  It has the standard emedded database.

• 8.  RE: Duplicate AD-imported clients & RU5

Posted Oct 23, 2009 03:53 PM
    @NetUser, the cryptic output you received means the script ran successfully. And the duplicate in Default Group should be gone. If the duplicate was NOT in Default Group, however, the script won't help.

@d-doug...I hear that! I'm still running my company's small, simple SEP installation with AD Groups, essentially as a lab system so I know when Symantec has finally fixed it. But my clients' sites are all on SEPM Groups now. However, if you use this technique, you don't have to give up the administrative benefits of AD integration:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/startup-scripts-and-sylinkdrop-better-together

HTH

• 9.  RE: Duplicate AD-imported clients & RU5

Posted Oct 23, 2009 05:19 PM
    The Up grade to MR5 should resolve this

• 10.  RE: Duplicate AD-imported clients & RU5

Posted Oct 24, 2009 05:56 PM
    No it doesn't.

• 11.  RE: Duplicate AD-imported clients & RU5

Posted Oct 24, 2009 06:07 PM
    Yes, Kavin, it should. But it doesn't.

• 12.  RE: Duplicate AD-imported clients & RU5

Posted Nov 29, 2009 05:00 AM

Hi

I tried to ask support about this script, they have never heard about it :-))

Do you have this script and can you share it?

I'm running the IE linie every second day manualy, which is a pain in the ***....