Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP Client Update Replacing VirusDefs Folder

Posted Feb 03, 2014 04:10 AM

Hi,

I would like to get clarified about something.

I use to update the failed SEP clients by replacing the folder ViruDefs with the updated one.

The Way I do is will copy the current date folder, binhub folder and definfo.dat file in Virusdefs and replace the same files in the failed clients.

The client will get updated for sure. But will it update all the protection sets in the SEP. Am I missing something in this method? This was very easy form as I can access any system in my network through Admin share.

Sanjay

• 2.  RE: SEP Client Update Replacing VirusDefs Folder

Posted Feb 03, 2014 04:13 AM

• 3.  RE: SEP Client Update Replacing VirusDefs Folder

Posted Feb 03, 2014 04:24 AM

I used to this before as well. Yes it does update all the components , if those components are installed

why dont you try running JDB, with SEP 12.X it now updates all the components.

Prior releases prior to SEP 12.1 RU3, there is no way to update the Proactive Threat Protection (PTP) and Network Threat Protection (NTP) definitions on the SEPM without using LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x.

SEPMs running SEP 12.1 RU3 and above can update their SONAR ("Behavior-Based Protection") and IPS ("Network-Based Protection") definitions using new .jdb files available from Security Response's Virus Definitions & Security Updates page. 

Check this Article:

How to update content on a Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager that does not have Internet access

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH104893

SONAR and IPS Intelligent updater (IU) are now available on :

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/definitions.jsp

• 4.  RE: SEP Client Update Replacing VirusDefs Folder

Posted Feb 03, 2014 06:40 AM

This method is unsupported although I've seen it work. Have you tried the jdb file for updating the components? It's much easier...

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/definitions.jsp

• 5.  RE: SEP Client Update Replacing VirusDefs Folder

Posted Feb 03, 2014 07:07 AM

Hi

Please refer the article below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH104893

Regards

• 6.  RE: SEP Client Update Replacing VirusDefs Folder

Posted Feb 03, 2014 07:26 AM

Thank u all...

All those articles describes the way to update the Manager using a jdb file. I already know that and done on few ocations. How would I do that for clients??

I am not bothered about the Manager anymore as 12.1.4 has been working good and never failed to update yet. But when clients got failed, most of the time it wont update again by its own unless we have to update it through Intelligent Updater or the methode I have described above. 

Sanjay

• 7.  RE: SEP Client Update Replacing VirusDefs Folder

Posted Feb 03, 2014 08:07 AM

Hello Sanjay,

You can update the clients using JDB 

How to manually update definitions for a managed Symantec Endpoint Protection Client using the .jdb file

or use psexec to run intelligent updater on remote client
    /q switch will help you to run it silently.

• 8.  RE: SEP Client Update Replacing VirusDefs Folder

Posted Feb 03, 2014 08:13 AM

Use the intelligent updater for clients. You can now update all three components with it.

Otherwise, you can use the method you described, although not officially supported, but if it's working for you than by all means...

• 9.  RE: SEP Client Update Replacing VirusDefs Folder

Posted Feb 03, 2014 11:56 PM

Hi,

I may chose the methode which I described (as far as its working for me) as we dont haveto download the  JDB or Intelligent updater. We can use the allready updated content.I dont understand why it cant be used as recomended methode. Does the virusdefs folder contains all the definition sets? 

Can I enable the third party managment content option for all the client groups permenently? We have gup machines in all our locations. 

Sanjay

• 10.  RE: SEP Client Update Replacing VirusDefs Folder

Posted Feb 04, 2014 12:35 AM

Yes you can enable the third party managment option on all your groups,earlier with 11.x It would create a folder called incoming with SEP 12.1.x clients the \inbox directory is always present under

SEP 12.1.x:
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\CurrentVersion\inbox

AFAIK it should update all the definition sets without any issue,