Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Dell PowerConnect 5324 - Multicasting

Posted Feb 20, 2011 01:44 PM

I have recently implemented Ghost Solution Suite and want to make use of Multicasting. I have some computers that are connected to a Dell PowerConnect 5324, however, multicasting will fail on every one of these PCs.

I also have a Netgear switch and when multicasting the PCs using this switch it works fine with no problems.

This leads me onto another problem...whenever the computers that are connected to the PowerConnect 5324 boot in WinPE, they don't get an IP address automatically from the DHCP server they get a 169.254.0.0/16 IP address. The only way of making them get a dynamic IP address is to run the ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew. This works and the computers get an IP address, so DHCP is definately working.

I hope that there is someone out there that can help with the problems!!

Thanks,

Jonathan Worth.

Hesa Limited

Network Manager

• 2.  RE: Dell PowerConnect 5324 - Multicasting

Posted Feb 20, 2011 03:48 PM

It would appear that your DELL Powerconnect device is the problem since the Netgear works OK.

Could you check whether IGMP and multicasting has been enabled on the Powerconnect?  

Use the search engine to find previous threads in this forum on the topic "multicasting" as there are many such threads which may also be helpful.