Asset Management Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Automatically add asset to location

• 1.  Automatically add asset to location

Posted Feb 11, 2009 09:48 PM
    I would like to automatically add assets to a location. I would like to create a list with all computer with a certain IP and add these to a certain location.

For example all the assets in location1 have an IP address starting with 172.18.
    So I want to do a check on these first two octets and add these PC's to the predefined location1.

I prefer to schedule this as a (notification server)task, so that when a PC moves from one to an other location, the asset automatically gets added to the correct location.

Can anyone help me out on this one?

• 2.  RE: Automatically add asset to location

Posted Apr 08, 2009 01:14 PM
    did you ever get an update with this?
    We too have the same situation... 100+ sites... sepearated by ip address... so that would make things easier for me.!!!!

• 3.  RE: Automatically add asset to location

Posted Apr 09, 2009 01:14 PM
    You could certainy query the inv_aex_ac_tcpip table and get computer's subnet, but you would need a policy or import rule to update the location information somewhere. I guess my first question would be regarding the "Location" of the computer. How do you plan on managing the locations?

• 4.  RE: Automatically add asset to location
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 09, 2009 02:52 PM
    Go to the Assocations tab for each of your Locations, and populate the "Location to Subnet" association.  Once that has been completed, go to Configuration-->Solutions Settings-->CMDB Solution-->"Update Network Resource Location" and enable the schedule.

Hope this helps,

Brad

• 5.  RE: Automatically add asset to location

Posted Apr 10, 2009 12:45 AM
    Do anyone know how to configure the CMDB to have a computer assigned a lcoation only once?

Example,  As a laptop moves around building at remote sites it will keep on getting reassigned.

• 6.  RE: Automatically add asset to location

Posted Apr 15, 2009 04:51 PM
    Up until now we have been pulling our office locations for computers from the primary user/AD information. Your suggestion to associate subnets to a location is a more accurate way to report where the computer is physically located. I already started building the subnet associations and it seems to work fine. Only thing is, I need the network guys to give me a COMPLETE list of subnets for each location!

• 7.  RE: Automatically add asset to location

Posted Apr 15, 2009 07:20 PM
    yeah...good luck with your network guys...that is a constant battle for me.

• 8.  RE: Automatically add asset to location

Posted Apr 16, 2009 05:23 AM
    Thanks bgreen, Location to Subnet Association seems to do the trick!

• 9.  RE: Automatically add asset to location

Posted May 03, 2009 06:25 PM
    This is a great feedback

• 10.  RE: Automatically add asset to location

Posted Jun 23, 2009 10:36 AM
    I had a similar issue...

I was able to create Sites & Subnets and have those associated automatically using the AD import rules. However, I could not cretae Locations, which is the same as our Sites in AD.

Using the COnnector Solution I was able to create a data source from AD, and import Sites as Locations as well as automically associate Subnets to the Locations, much the same way the AD connector works.

Once that was completed I could then run the Location to Subnet Association and my Assets were automatically assigned to the proper Location based on their IP address.

This saved me from ahving to map subnets to locations by hand and everything runs on schedule so its all updated daily.

• 11.  RE: Automatically add asset to location

Posted Mar 18, 2010 04:27 PM
    Thanks for the post; I'm looking at doing the same thing. Has anyone created a report that will so all of the computers by the location?