Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Where is Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1?

symantec123

symantec123Oct 06, 2015 02:20 AM

symantec123

symantec123Oct 06, 2015 02:21 AM

ℬrίαη

ℬrίαηOct 12, 2015 11:15 AM

• 1.  Where is Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1?

Posted Oct 06, 2015 12:14 AM

Received email saying "Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1" has been released.  When I log into FileConnect only 4.0 is available.  Also I can not find any info on what's new in version 4.1 anywhere.

• 2.  RE: Where is Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1?

Posted Oct 06, 2015 12:48 AM

Same here. I don't get the option to upgrade my existing licenses either... granted, I have not received the upgrade email yet, so maybe they're staging the notifications to reduce the burdon on the FTP site.

• 3.  RE: Where is Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1?

Posted Oct 06, 2015 12:53 AM

When ever a new product release they roll out the new version in a phased manner.

• 4.  RE: Where is Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1?

Posted Oct 06, 2015 02:20 AM

There is also not a notification Id.

• 5.  RE: Where is Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1?

Posted Oct 06, 2015 02:21 AM

THere is no notification id as well.

• 6.  RE: Where is Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1?

Posted Oct 06, 2015 07:18 AM

It looks like they have sent the upgrade notification out without including the Notification ID in the email. I had a similar email for Backup Exec a couple of months ago and that had an extra line above the customer number with the notification ID in bold.

I have 3 emails, 2 directly to me and one forwarded from my boss, all identical, none of them have the ID.

Is anyone able to download 4.1 yet?

Do I need to raise a service ticket to get a notification ID?

• 7.  RE: Where is Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1?

Posted Oct 06, 2015 10:26 AM

I am having the same problem, did not receive a Notification ID with my Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1 upgrade notification email.

• 8.  RE: Where is Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1?

Posted Oct 06, 2015 11:41 AM

Here is the email that I recieved, but I am also not able to find the new versions.

Dear Symantec Customer,

We are pleased to announce the release of Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1, available October 5, 2015. As a customer with current maintenance/support on a previous version of this product, as of the release date, you are entitled to upgrade your supported licenses to this new release free of charge. You are only authorized to use this release to update software copies for which you have a current maintenance/support agreement.

Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition is powered with Symantec Insight and protects against today’s complex malware, data loss and spam threats with the fastest, most-effective endpoint security, combined with industry-leading messaging protection reduces upfront and on-going costs. Protection Suite Enterprise Edition’s unparalleled combination of award-winning technologies from a world leader in security and data protection enables you to comprehensively protect, intelligently manage, and automatically control the assets most crucial to your business—keeping your business functioning optimally.

Symantec System Recovery Desktop (SSR Desktop) and Symantec Mail Security for Domino will become stand-alone products and must be renewed independently of your SPS EE 4.1 license(s). To continue to receive software upgrades and technical support for either of the above products; maintenance is now renewed individually. It is important to note that SSR Desktop offering now belongs to Veritas and all future inquiries, which includes licensing, support, sales, and renewals, should be directed to the new Veritas company.

Note: Customers can contact Enterprise Support for Veritas products (SSR) using the following URL; https://veritas.com/support/en_US/contact-us.html.

It is important to note that this change will NOT affect any of the existing component products previously included into the Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition (SPS EE) 4.0 bundle and the product functionality will not be affected. The only change is with the separate maintenance renewals of your SPS EE 4.1 bundle, SSR Desktop 2013 R2, and SMS for Domino 8.1 entitlements. Due to the separation of Symantec and Veritas, there will be a change in ownership of SSR Desktop and moving forward, Veritas will be your primary contact company for all future SSR Desktop inquiries. More details can be found in this communication about Veritas, including contact phone numbers and email addresses. When your current maintenance term for the bundle expires, you will be renewing maintenance for each of the aforementioned bundle and component products separately.

To learn more about this new product release, please visit:

http://www.symantec.com/protection-suite-enterprise-edition

Symantec Corporation will End of Life (“EOL”) the earlier releases of these products including any Maintenance Packs (MPs) and/or patches for each version, in all released languages. Technical support and content updates for customers with current Basic Maintenance Support or Essential Support will be available `until the dates listed in the table below. The frequency and quantity of these content updates will decrease over a period of time. This notice describes the timelines for the delivery of support services for these products that have reached their EOL.

Product Description

Version

End of Life

End of Limited Support and Start of Partial Support

End of Support Life

Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition

October 5, 2015

April 5, 2018

July 5, 2018

End of Life: “End of Life” or “EOL” means when we cease marketing or distributing a Major Release and its related releases of Licensed Software. The End of Life date starts the timeline and process leading to End of Support Life for that Major Release and its related Minor Releases and Maintenance Packs.

Limited Support: Once a Major Release and its related releases reach EOL, they enter the Limited Support phase. The Limited Support phase typically lasts for 30 months following EOL. During the Limited Support phase we will provide code modifications or Bug Fixes to address Problems where there has been data loss, production systems are inoperable, significant security vulnerabilities are identified, or there are other significant product defects. For other types of Problems, we will typically provide an existing Bug Fix or we may elect to address your Problem through a regularly scheduled or future Software Version Upgrade. We will continue to provide Content Updates during this Limited Support phase. Note that some older documentation may refer to the Limited Support phase as the “post-EOL Standard Support” period.

Partial Support: During the Partial Support phase our Support Services generally consist of providing known and existing Bug Fixes, workarounds or information from our technical support knowledge base in response to your request for assistance. Partial Support does not include development of any new modifications to the Software, any attempt to reproduce the Problem, escalation of issues through management channels or to our product development staff, or installation and configuration assistance. The delivery of Partial Support will be subject to available resources, and we may need to limit the amount of time we spend on an issue for a product in its Partial Support phase. We typically do not provide Content Updates during the Partial Support phase.

End of Support Life: After Partial Support, the Major Release and its related releases reach their EOSL. This is the point in the product support lifecycle where no Support Services are available, and when we stop providing any type of technical support regardless of the Severity Level of the Problem, and regardless of the Support Services offering purchased. Our on-line technical support knowledge base includes support-related information that you can use to perform self-help. We also provide information through our community forums at:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums

Support Lifecycle

For more information regarding the services provided in Limited Support, Partial Support, and Content Updates, please refer to the Symantec Enterprise Technical Support Policy at the link below or, alternatively, contact your Symantec Account Manager:

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support/support_policies.jsp

Additional Resources

For more information regarding Content Updates or the services provided in Standard Support, Limited Support or Partial Support, please refer to the End-of-Life (EOL) Policy at the link below or contact your Symantec Account Manager.

http://www.symantec.com/products-solutions/licensing/policies/

Thank you for using Symantec products and services.

Sincerely,

Symantec Corporation

Helpful contact information:

NOTE: Please do not reply to this email as it is electronically generated, and this mailbox is not monitored. Instead, please use the Customer Care link below to request assistance.

Customer Care:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/assistance_care.jsp

To learn more about Symantec products:

http://www.symantec.com

To find regional technical support contact information:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/techsupport_global.jsp

• 9.  RE: Where is Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1?

Posted Oct 06, 2015 05:38 PM

Same here. While we wait for 4.1 to actually come out, does anyone have links to documentation?  I'm interested in seeing what's new (aside from support for Windows 10).

• 10.  RE: Where is Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1?

Posted Oct 07, 2015 05:47 AM

I'm in no rush to install, I just like to download updates before I lose the notifications under thousands of other emails.....

Do you think there will be another email, or is it just anerror that the notification ID was omitted?

(I have raised a service ticket about it)

• 11.  RE: Where is Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1?

Posted Oct 08, 2015 12:50 AM

Just got a reply from Symantec, they said the SPS EE 4.1 download is in fact the "SEP 12.1.6 MP2" download.  I told them are you kidding me.  SEP 12.1.6 MP2 only contains a few minor update, it did not deserve a “4.1” or a stupid email announcement that made it sounded like a big update.

I guess the only real change is they remove the component “Symantec Mail Security for Domino” from the suite and made it a stand-alone product, and make us pay more.

I think my company will be switching shop. (we have over 5000 clients)

• 12.  RE: Where is Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1?

Posted Oct 08, 2015 04:13 AM

Similar answer from support:

Hello *****,

Thank you for contacting Symantec

“This version upgrade doesn’t have any product, functionality or license upgrade. The change is that Protection Suite 4.1 would not include Mail Security for Domino and System recovery. These two products would have to be renewed separately once your maintenance contract for Protection Suite Enterprise edition 4.0 is expired. You can continue to use the current products as usual and no action is required from your end.”

We value your business with Symantec.

Thank you,
    Alex P.
    Symantec Customer Care

So there is no physical upgrade, it's just a change of version number so they can invoice those components separately at next renewal...

We don't use Domino (or any of the other mail servers they explicitly cover) so that doesn't bother me, what does bother me is that we seem to have been paying separately for system recovery for years until our agent noticed last year that it was covered under SPS so we took the separate renewal out as it was doubled up - now we need it again. That's annoying, but I guess we can live with it.

• 13.  RE: Where is Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1?

Posted Oct 09, 2015 01:49 AM

Symantec System Recovery Desktop seems also to be gone. Symantec is stolen us features and did not be offer any reason.

Shame Symanetc....

• 14.  RE: Where is Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1?

Posted Oct 09, 2015 05:30 AM

They have offered a reason, they have separated the Veritas business again, and Veritas is taking System Recovery, so it is no longer a Symantec product :(

The next question is - what is going to happen to Backup Exec?

• 15.  RE: Where is Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1?

Posted Oct 12, 2015 11:15 AM

Falls under Veritas, AFAIK.

• 16.  RE: Where is Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 4.1?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 19, 2015 09:47 AM

Hi,

Here’s how it breaks down by product family:

Backup exec.jpg

Symantec customers can expect business as usual: Buying programs and pricing, contracts, order fulfilment, SKUs, licensing portal, and technical support will remain the same.

The real changes come on the Veritas side of the equation. Veritas customers will see new pricing and buying programs (Corporate, Loyalty, Government, Academic, E-Flex, and VPA); a new website, veritas.com, for product information; and a new license portal, myveritas.com, where they can generate license keys and download products. Entitlements will migrate to the new site on Oct. 5.

Customers with contracts for both Symantec and Veritas products will remain managed and honored by Symantec. However, contracts with Veritas-only products will be duplicated via a consent letter and will utilize new SKUs and pricing. Lastly, Veritas will release new technical support numbers on Oct. 3.

Refer this thread for more details: http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1214652-symantec-and-veritas-what-the-split-means-for-you?from_forum=217