Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  How to manually remove liveupdate (Symantec enterprise)?

Posted Sep 26, 2012 03:12 AM

Hi All,

My SEPM can't automatically or manually update the virus definitions.

So I want to reinstall the liveupdate.

But I can't remove it from Add/remove programs, it returns the error: " Error 1316: A network error occurred which attempting to read from the file:D:\SHIFT_Deport|symupdates|ESM10\ESM_10_Manage|ESMInstaller\ESMConsole\20ef8.msi"

Also I can't start it from control panel, " the liveupdate control panel applet could not access liveupdate settings ifnormation. Error Code:0x80070424"

How can I remove the liveupdate from my server? Any manual steps except the Add/Remove programs?

My liveupdate version: 3.4.1.234

SEMP version:11.0.5002.333

WinOS:2003R2

• 2.  RE: How to manually remove liveupdate (Symantec enterprise)?

Posted Sep 26, 2012 03:14 AM

How to Uninstall and Reinstall LiveUpdate When a Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager or Symantec Endpoint Protection Client is Installed (SEP 11.x)

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102609

• 3.  RE: How to manually remove liveupdate (Symantec enterprise)?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 26, 2012 04:04 AM

Hi,

You should use liveupdate 3.3 version.

You can try to run liveupdate setup over the existing installed liveupdate.

Download liveupdate setup at following location:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/liveupdate/3.3.0/

You can remove liveupdate folders from following location:

Log.liveupdate could be found in -
    Windows 2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate

&

C:\Program Files\Symantec\liveupdate

After successful reinstall please reregister liveupdate with the SEPM.

After reinstall go through the following steps to re-register it.

Open a command window, then browse to:
        C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin
        Type lucatalog -cleanup and press Enter.
        Type lucatalog -update and press Enter.
        Run LiveUpdate to verify that there are no errors.

• 4.  RE: How to manually remove liveupdate (Symantec enterprise)?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Sep 26, 2012 11:59 AM

Hello,

In reference to the "Error 1316: A network error occurred which attempting to read from the file:D:\SHIFT_Deport|symupdates|ESM10\ESM_10_Manage|ESMInstaller\ESMConsole\20ef8.msi"

Check this Article:

'Error 1316: A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file' when installing ESM.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179259

Secondly, in reference to the "the liveupdate control panel applet could not access liveupdate settings ifnormation. Error Code:0x80070424"

Could you let us know when do you receive this Error Message, does it appear when trying to start the Windows update OR Symantec Liveupdate from Control Panel?

Could you upload us a Screenshot?

Secondly, you are running a wrong version of Liveupdate 3.4, you need to be running the Liveupdate version 3.3.

Download the LUSETUP.EXE file from the following Symantec LiveUpdate Web Page or alternatively from the direct FTP link. Be sure to download the version of LUSETUP.EXE that is appropriate for your version of Symantec Endpoint Protection. (For Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.x that would be LiveUpdate 3.3)

To Manually uninstall the Liveupdate Component, check the Liveupdate Enteries from the Document below:

How to manually uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection client from Windows 2000, XP and 2003, 32-bit Editions http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH102261

At last on a Kind note, you are running SEPM 11.0.5002 which is old version of SEPM. Check this Article for version updates.

What are the Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) versions released officially?

I would recommend you to Migrate the SEPM 11.0.5002 to SEPM 11.0.7171 and above. Check this Article for the Reason -

About Maintaining Consistency of Software Versions throughout a SEP 11 Organization

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH131660

Hope that helps!!

• 5.  RE: How to manually remove liveupdate (Symantec enterprise)?

Posted Sep 27, 2012 08:08 AM

xinwei, do you have ESM or CCS installed on this server?  The error message is indicating you do.  For that reason, I would be careful with attempting to remove LiveUpdate and focus more on running the lucatalog steps as documented by Chetan.

What errors are you seeing in the SEPM that is prompting you to need to reinstall LiveUpdate?