Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  GSS 2.5.1 - "Unknown Install Type. Unable to proceed." Error

Posted Jan 14, 2010 12:40 PM
    Hi All,
       I'm at the point that I'm about to start editing the setup.ini file to allow MSI version 4.5.

We've had GSS 2.5 running on Server 2008 for a while now with no real problems, we tried to run the 2.5.1 from LiveUpdate and it errored out... A student worker cleared the error before I could get back to the console, but it seems like it ran partially because shortcuts don't work now, but we can launch all the .exes still. From another similar post I got the 2.5.1 package as a download and when trying to run it, hit the error above "Unknown install type. Unable to proceed." Poking around and I noticed I'm runnning the MSI/Windows Installer version 4.5.x and that's not listed as a supported MSI version in the setup.ini file, it stops at 3.0 and it doesn't have Vista or Server 2008 listed as supported OSs, but from here, service1.symantec.com/support/on-technology.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/0b656b001df6ad9988257475006a6ad4 , both are listed as supported OSs.

I'm just wondering if anyone's run into this problem & found a workaround to this yet?

• 2.  RE: GSS 2.5.1 - "Unknown Install Type. Unable to proceed." Error

Posted Jan 14, 2010 12:56 PM
    I had the same issue with LU erroring out going to 2.5.1, but mine deleted all the files in the process...  I have made comments in several threads and started one as well, but Symantec hasnt responded.  be on the lookout for invalid machines joining the console

• 3.  RE: GSS 2.5.1 - "Unknown Install Type. Unable to proceed." Error

Posted Jan 14, 2010 04:46 PM
    More info:

I'm now getting this message on a group of clients when I try to image a lab.

"cannot open source file for transfer; check that file exists and permissions are set correctly"

This is under Download Client Upgrade and the status in the log is WARNING. Further down under To Virtual Partition it fails with the message "Copy failed: file not found: source = "Program Files\Symantec\Ghost\ghost.exe", dest = "ghost\ghost.exe" "

Now, we still have some labs that are imaging correctly, but this lab worked fine before the update.

• 4.  RE: GSS 2.5.1 - "Unknown Install Type. Unable to proceed." Error

Posted Jan 14, 2010 05:01 PM
    Ok, so more info now... it does seem that the first install of the update from LiveUpdate did run partially, but then just halt for some reason. There was no copy of ghost.exe in the folder "Program Files\Symantec\Ghost\". So, I found a copy on one of the clients I was toying with, dropped it in, and at least one test one is now working fine.

I guess I need to look into a backup of all Console configurations and do a clean install....