Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Installing Managed SEP MSI packages using Active Directory

Posted Feb 22, 2011 02:37 AM

Hello,

I generated sep msi installation package, however when I assign the msi package to the computer settings of the installation GPO, the packages is not installed..

1. Should I generate the packages as managed or unmanaged msi ? I need to manage them by SEPM.

2. Is there any additional script I should use with the msi package, or any MSI switch included in http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102668&locale=en_US ?

3. After the installation of the msi packages, will the packages be installed as managed or unmanaged ? how can I turn them to managed ?

I`m using Windows Server 2008 + Windows XP/7/Vista clients, and SEPM 11.0.6 MP2

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Installing Managed SEP MSI packages using Active Directory
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 22, 2011 02:40 AM

1. Should I generate the packages as managed or unmanaged msi ? I need to manage them by SEPM.

Use the managed client packages to have machines managed by SEPM.

2. Is there any additional script I should use with the msi package, or any MSI switch included in http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag... ?

These are generic Microsoft switch. You can use the scripts as per your requirement.

3. After the installation of the msi packages, will the packages be installed as managed or unmanaged ? how can I turn them to managed ? 

If the package used is Managed it will be managed client. If you are using unamnaged package then you need to copy the sylink.xml from the managed client onto this machine to make it managed.

• 3.  RE: Installing Managed SEP MSI packages using Active Directory

Posted Feb 22, 2011 02:45 AM

ok ,

Is using the scripts necessary to perform the installation ? or just assigning the msi packages should be sufficient for the default installation options ?

Thanks,

• 4.  RE: Installing Managed SEP MSI packages using Active Directory

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 22, 2011 02:48 AM

to use the installation steps using teh active directory, you need to write AD script and use that as a policy.

• 5.  RE: Installing Managed SEP MSI packages using Active Directory

Posted Feb 22, 2011 03:00 AM

were you able to install on any one client?

may be it was rolling back, 

start

run 

%temp%

look for sep_inst.log ? do u see any such log, whats in event viewer? did it ever run?

• 6.  RE: Installing Managed SEP MSI packages using Active Directory

Posted Feb 24, 2011 03:36 AM

I was able to install several clients, but using User Settings script not Computer Settings script in the Active Directory, looks like something was wrong with my AD server.

Now everything is working fine,

Thanks for your help Pete and Rafeeq.

• 7.  RE: Installing Managed SEP MSI packages using Active Directory

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 24, 2011 04:37 AM

our pleasure :-)