Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Using MoveClient.vbs

Posted Feb 15, 2012 08:51 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to create a script to move clients automatically. I'm using the list to move clients by IP range. However, some specific clients have their own group that should not be moved. How do I go about this? Clients are all in their respective groups, but due to frequent movements of terminals, some groups get messed up ending in clients not getting updated by the management server. I'm preparing this for SEP 12.1 although we're using SEP 11.0.6300 at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Using MoveClient.vbs

• 3.  RE: Using MoveClient.vbs

Posted Feb 15, 2012 09:44 PM

Thanks for the links Simpson Homer, my question is how to prevent some clients from being moved?

Like I want to move a group of PCs to a single group using the range.

Example: Clients with IPs ranging from 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254 are scattered in various groups and I want to move most of them to a single group excluding somewhere between 2-5 clients because they are servers in which I want them to stay where they are.

• 4.  RE: Using MoveClient.vbs

Posted Feb 15, 2012 10:26 PM

I don't think it's possible to do something of that sort. Unless you create your own script.

• 5.  RE: Using MoveClient.vbs
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 16, 2012 06:28 AM

Hmm, of course you could do something like this in your subnetgroups.txt (IPGroups.txt in current version) file:

192.168.1.1-192.168.1.100,Marketing
    192.168.1.101-192.168.1.105,SpecialGroupForServers
    192.168.1.106-192.168.1.120,Marketing
    192.168.1.121-192.168.1.200,Controlling

In current MoveClient.vbs versions, you can use the OSGroups.txt file to control MoveClient.vbs. SEP client will be moved dependent on their OS. Snippet from the MoveClient.pdf file:

Windows XP*,Marketing
    Windows 2000,Group1
    Windows Embedded*,Group1\subgroup1
    Windows 2008,Group2\subgroup1
    Windows Vista,Group2\subgroup2

That only works if you can cleanly separate by OS. However, I don't know if this works with SEP 11.0.6.

• 6.  RE: Using MoveClient.vbs

Posted Feb 17, 2012 01:36 AM

When designing an office network or assigning an IP range, it would be easier to manage if they all use an IP range per subnet. First 50 or last 50 - something like that. Especially on large companies where each deparment could have their own file server(s).

• 7.  RE: Using MoveClient.vbs

Posted Feb 19, 2012 04:44 PM

Hi.

If you can't manage to stop those clients from moving, why not move them to to their original group again?

That way you move them from the group where they belong to exactly the same group where they belong?

• 8.  RE: Using MoveClient.vbs

Posted Feb 19, 2012 08:17 PM

Hi Ian_C, here's the answers to the points brought up:

If you can't manage to stop those clients from moving, why not move them to to their original group again?

- I'm trying to move them according to their current IP address. Most of these PCs get reformatted, repaired or reimaged and most often, reassigned to a different group with a different subnet and different policy.

That way you move them from the group where they belong to exactly the same group where they belong?

- We base our groupings by the subnet they belong to. And all of the clients should have the same TCP/IP configurations otherwise, they wouldn't be able do get updates. We have remote offices that uses GUP and some PCs retain their settings while being reassigned to a different subnet.