Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Endpoint installation problems: embedded DB failed, failed to connect to the server

• 1.  Endpoint installation problems: embedded DB failed, failed to connect to the server

Posted Nov 06, 2007 03:07 PM
    I have been spending more than a day to install Endpoint.

I am installing on a SBS 2003. I first installed the manager, with an embedded DB, there I got an error message: failed to start the embedded DB. I did what is recommended here: http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/b1b907126956f3d5882573780072846a?OpenDocument

It then goes ok. I skipped the migration wizard for now. It then opened the management console. If I log in with the credentials I chose before, I got an error message, failed to connect to the server, check server name and port.

I changed the port, checked if it was not used... still not working

I read that java 1.6 had to be uninstalled and jave 1.5 installed instead.... still not working...

Now If I try to reinstall it again, I got an error message when creating the embedded DB, it says that the endpoint manager service is running, but it is not true. There is no endpoint manager serviceyet. I am not sure what to do anymore to make that product work.

• 2.  RE: Endpoint installation problems: embedded DB failed, failed to connect to the server

Posted Nov 07, 2007 03:29 PM
    Hi Bartinla,

let me see if I understand this correctly

1 You installed SEP
    2 You uninstallled SEP according the instranction of the knowledge base article (because you are running Ghost?)
    3 You installed SEP according to the instruction of the knowledge base article using a different database port

Here you could not log on and got the errore "failed to connect to server"

Which port did you change now? The database, management or webser port?

4 You unistalled SEP again (?)
    5 You try to install and get the message that the service is running. - right?

You have checked the Services and no Symantec Service is running? The service is called Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service.

Carsten

• 3.  RE: Endpoint installation problems: embedded DB failed, failed to connect to the server

Posted Nov 07, 2007 03:43 PM
    Hi Cartsen,

1. I installed SEPM on the server.
    2. I first changed the port (see 3)
    3. I am not using Ghost, but that is the only KB I found talking about the embedded DB error. And doing so worked.
    there I changed the Database server port to 2639 instead of 2638
    4. the installation was successful, then I could not connect to the console. I ran the wizard again and change the port to 8445, 8845 .... still not working
    5. I uninstalled it...yes again
    6. to overcome that error message, I had to change the port 8445 to something different again 8477
    7. I still can't connect. I am assuming there is a conflict with something but I can't find what

8. I opened IE, and typed http://localhost:8477/Reporting/login/login.php that doesn't work, but if I typed
    http://localhost/Reporting/login/login.php then I can access a login page, there I entered my credentials, but I now get an error message: can't access the server.

thanks in advance for your help

Gaetan

• 4.  RE: Endpoint installation problems: embedded DB failed, failed to connect to the server

Posted Nov 07, 2007 05:55 PM
    Hi barinla,

http://localhost/Reporting/login/login.php is the normal way to access reporting from a browser. You don't have to specify a port. Is the Symantec Endpoint Protection service running? The reporting engine needs this service for authentication and it also has to run in order to log on to the managemen console?

Carsten

• 5.  RE: Endpoint installation problems: embedded DB failed, failed to connect to the server

Posted Nov 07, 2007 08:37 PM
    Cartsen,

I did check that before, and I started it since it wasn't running, but today I pay more attention to it and I remarked that it stops after 5 seconds. It is set to start automatically.
    Is there something that I need to change in the registry to make it run all the time?

thanks

Gaetan

• 6.  RE: Endpoint installation problems: embedded DB failed, failed to connect to the server

Posted Nov 09, 2007 09:13 AM
    By any remote chance are you trying to install this on the same server that runs Altiris Notification Server? 

The reason I ask is that if you are doing this and don't have the SEP Integration Component installed in your Notification Server you will run into a port conflict for 9090.  To get around this you simply need to browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Altiris\eXpress\Notification Server and change the RpcEndpoint to 9091.  After doing this simply restart the Altiris service, the Altiris NS Reciever service, the Symantec Endpoint service, and World Wide Web (or just run IISRESET to reset it).

Jeremy

Message Edited by JeremyDallas on 11-09-2007 06:13 AM

• 7.  RE: Endpoint installation problems: embedded DB failed, failed to connect to the server

Posted Nov 09, 2007 03:02 PM
    In case you are not running Altiris (although everybody should :)  right Jeremy?) try the following KB article to isolate the cause

Carsten

• 8.  RE: Endpoint installation problems: embedded DB failed, failed to connect to the server

Posted Nov 09, 2007 08:34 PM
    I am not running Altiris, and I have through the steps on the KB:

I have those 2 issues:

Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service stops with a Java -1 error in the event log
    Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service (SemSrv) will not stay in a started state

I ran java 1.5
    I adjusted the heap size to 1024

During the DB assessment, when I test the ODBC connection. it failed: Unable to start the DB server

I guess that is the issue

thanks again for your help

• 9.  RE: Endpoint installation problems: embedded DB failed, failed to connect to the server

Posted Nov 12, 2007 04:42 PM
    hi bartinla,

i have the same issue you have. i have posted a message here describing my problem.

See the logs:

11/01 16:37:14. *** ERROR *** Assertion failed: 201819 (9.0.2.3347)
    Checkpoint log: invalid bitmap page
    11/01 16:38:33. *** ERROR *** Assertion failed: 201819 (9.0.2.3347)
    11/01 17:03:16. *** ERROR *** Assertion failed: 201819 (9.0.2.3347)
    11/01 17:14:36. *** ERROR *** Assertion failed: 201819 (9.0.2.3347)

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: semsrv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4096
    Date:  1/11/2007
    Time:  17:15:48
    User:  N/A
    Computer: DCTA030
    Description:
    The Java Virtual Machine has exited with a code of -1, the service is being stopped.

Event ID: 1
    Time:  17:14:36
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( ASA 9.0 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: ASANYs_sem5; *** ERROR *** Assertion failed: 201819 (9.0.2.3347)
    Checkpoint log: invalid bitmap page.

Event Source: ASA 9.0
    Time:  17:14:36
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( ASA 9.0 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: ASANYs_sem5; Internal database error *** ERROR *** Assertion failed: 201819 (9.0.2.3347)
    Checkpoint log: invalid bitmap page -- transaction rolled back.

Event Source: ASA 9.0
    Time:  17:14:38
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( ASA 9.0 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: ASANYs_sem5; Could not start server.

I. 11/01 11:50:49. Running on Windows 2003 Build 3790 Service Pack 2
    I. 11/01 11:50:49. 65536K of memory used for caching
    I. 11/01 11:50:49. Minimum cache size: 65536K, maximum cache size: 65536K
    I. 11/01 11:50:49. Using a maximum page size of 8192 bytes
    I. 11/01 11:50:49. Starting database "sem5" (C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.db) at Thu Nov 01 2007 11:50
    I. 11/01 11:50:49. Database recovery in progress
    I. 11/01 11:50:49.     Last checkpoint at Thu Nov 01 2007 10:03
    I. 11/01 11:50:49.     Checkpoint log...
    I. 11/01 11:50:49. Performance warning: Database file "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.db" consists of 6111 disk fragments
    E. 11/01 11:50:49. *** ERROR *** Assertion failed: 201819 (9.0.2.3347)
    E. 11/01 11:50:49. Checkpoint log: invalid bitmap page
    I. 11/01 11:50:49. *** ERROR *** Assertion failed: 201819 (9.0.2.3347)
    I. 11/01 11:50:49. Checkpoint log: invalid bitmap page
    I. 11/01 11:50:49.
    I. 11/01 11:50:49. Attempting to save dump file at 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\sa_dump.dmp'
    I. 11/01 11:50:50. Dump file saved
    E. 11/01 11:50:50. Internal database error *** ERROR *** Assertion failed: 201819 (9.0.2.3347)
    E. 11/01 11:50:50. Checkpoint log: invalid bitmap page -- transaction rolled back
    I. 11/01 11:52:45. Adaptive Server Anywhere Network Server Version 9.0.2.3347

thanks in advance for help us.

• 10.  RE: Endpoint installation problems: embedded DB failed, failed to connect to the server

Posted Nov 15, 2007 01:44 AM
    Hi,

I had these symptoms:
  • Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service stops with a Java -1 error in the event log
  • Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service (SemSrv) will not stay in a started state
  •  

My problem was with another instance of Tomcat already installed and running.

I went to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\conf and edited the server.xml file. I changed the second line from:

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN" debug="0">
                            to
                            <Server port="8004" shutdown="SHUTDOWN" debug="0">

after doing a quick check with netstat -ano |find /i "listening" to see if port 8004 was available.

I was then able to start the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service without problem.

SemSrv needs TCP ports 8443, 9090 and 8005.
                            (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/pfdocs/2007395468413898?Open&docid=2007395468413898&nsf=ent-security.nsf&view=383ed085ad1ed2c6882571500069b34d)

Ironicaly, the other instance of Tomcat was from Brightmail, a Symantec antispam solution! :smileywink:

I hope this will help,

PiRLoUiT

Message Edited by PiRLoUiT on 11-14-2007 10:58 PM

• 11.  RE: Endpoint installation problems: embedded DB failed, failed to connect to the server

Posted Nov 25, 2007 09:19 PM
                          Hi PiRLoUiT,

sorry for the late reply but thanks a lot for the tip... at least I can launch the console now... I have the 3 first tabs blank but the last 3 are ok... I still have to work on that but at least I can see some progress...

• 12.  RE: Endpoint installation problems: embedded DB failed, failed to connect to the server

Posted Nov 26, 2007 11:42 AM

Hi bartinla,

I had these problems too:

• -Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager displays an HTTP error in the Home, Monitors and Reports tabs
                          • -Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager continually displays the progress bar without loading the pages in the Home, Monitors and Reports tabs

And solve them by doing this:

Verify communication to the embedded (Sybase) database.

• -Verify that the "Symantec Embedded Database" service is running and that the dbsrv9.exe process is listening on TCP port 2638.
                          • -Test the ODBC connection.
                            1. 1.From the Control Panel open Administrator Tools
                            2. 2.Double click Data Sources (ODBC)
                            3. 3.Choose the System DSN tab
                            4. 4.Double-click SymantecEndpointSecurityDSN and go through the wizard to ensure the following settings: Name: SymantecEndpointSecurityDSN Description: <Anything> Server: Servername\InstanceName (Can be blank as it is localized, otherwise specify default "sem5" ) Login ID: dba Password: <password>
                            5. 5.Leave the defaults for the rest of the items and click Finish
                            6. 6.Click the Test Data Source on the next page and ensure it states "Success"
                            7. 7.Click OK

Extracted from Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 11.x communication troubleshooting

I hope it will help!

PiRLoUiT

• 13.  RE: Endpoint installation problems: embedded DB failed, failed to connect to the server

Posted Dec 04, 2007 02:13 PM
                          Hello,

I'm having similar issues on an embedded db. I am not running ghost or other Symantec products, though I did uninstall Symantec Corporate 10 from this Windows Server 2003 (32 bit) server.

When I first installed SEPM, I was able to log in to the SEPM successfully, but unable to add clients to a group and apply policies. In troubleshooting, I reinstalled SEPM and am now unable to log into the console with a "Failed to Connect to the server"

I have tried all of the available solutions I could find here, including:

1) Changing the port from default 8443 to 8444 and again to 8445, then back to 8443
                          2) Uninstalling Java 1.6 and installing 1.5
                          3) verified dbsrv9.exe process is listening on TCP port 2638
                          4) Changed SEPM heap size to 512 mb
                          5) Verified Symantec Web Server is set to "All Unassigned" IP Address, anonymous access is enabled and IUSR_GARRISON-SERVER is selected and granted access to the directory.
                          6) Other settings verified per http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/d87c5993a0a8b35f882573770063d834?OpenDocument

Although, in the ODBC Data Source Administrator I set the User ID to "db" and password to the one I set up in the Management Server Configuration Wizard. When I click "Test Connection" I get "Connection filed: Unable to start database server".

Restarting the SEPM service doesn't work either. It quits after a few seconds. I should note that I am running another web site on this machine, and both are set to TCP port 80 in IIS Web Server Properties. This didn't prove to be a problem with the initial install.

No doubt these last two items are related.

Thanks for any assistance. This rollout is proving to be quite a chore.

• 14.  RE: Endpoint installation problems: embedded DB failed, failed to connect to the server

Posted Dec 04, 2007 02:40 PM
                          Hello Garrison,

Try using user "dba" instead of "db" for your connection to the DB

Also, for your problem with SEPM service, check this:

I had these symptoms:
                        • Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service stops with a Java -1 error in the event log
                        • Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service (SemSrv) will not stay in a started state

My problem was with another instance of Tomcat already installed and running.

I went to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\conf and edited the server.xml file. I changed the second line from:

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN" debug="0">
                                            to
                                            <Server port="8004" shutdown="SHUTDOWN" debug="0">

after doing a quick check with netstat -ano |find /i "listening" to see if port 8004 was available.

I was then able to start the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service without problem.

SemSrv needs TCP ports 8443, 9090 and 8005.
                                            (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/pfdocs/2007395468413898?Open&docid=2007395468413898&nsf=ent-security.nsf&view=383ed085ad1ed2c6882571500069b34d)

Ironicaly, the other instance of Tomcat was from Brightmail, a Symantec antispam solution!

I hope this will help,

•  
                                              PiRLoUiT