Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  MR4 GUP Carification please

Posted Dec 14, 2009 08:07 AM
    Hi,

I recently went on a course where the trainer insisted that if a GUP ceases to work, then the client who would normally use it will then goto the SEPM Server.

Looking at the LiveUpdte Policy configuration it does not read/imply that - it says If the GUP cannot be reached, the LiveUpdate Server above will be used.  So.....

Question 1 - If your GUP option is selected and the 'default management server (recommended)' is selected and the 'LiveUpdate Server' tick box is not - what happens then?
    Question 2 - If the 'Bypass Group Update Provider' option is set to never, will the clients still goto the SEPM manager (if it has been ticked)?
    Question 3 - If the 'Bypass Group Update Provider' option is set to never, will the clients still goto the Liveupdate serveer (if it has been ticked)?
    Question 4 - Can I succesfully choose the GUP option without having the default Management Server option or Liveupdate option selected (this is my current config that is working)?

Thanks for any help

• 2.  RE: MR4 GUP Carification please

Posted Dec 14, 2009 08:09 AM
    Sorry Question 4 should read at the end...

(My current working config has both options ticked)

• 3.  RE: MR4 GUP Carification please
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 14, 2009 08:15 AM

Question 1 - If your GUP option is selected and the 'default management server (recommended)' is selected and the 'LiveUpdate Server' tick box is not - what happens then?

clients take update from the GUP, if not able to get it then it will take from management server.
    (In this scenario, the Group Update Provider downloads the latest updates from the server. The Group Update Provider then updates the clients in the group. If the Group Update Provider is offline, the clients contact the server for the updates.

The Group Update Provider can reside in any group.)

Question 2 - If the 'Bypass Group Update Provider' option is set to never, will the clients still goto the SEPM manager (if it has been ticked)?

No

Question 3 - If the 'Bypass Group Update Provider' option is set to never, will the clients still goto the Liveupdate serveer (if it has been ticked)?

No

Question 4 - Can I succesfully choose the GUP option without having the default Management Server option or Liveupdate option selected (this is my current config that is working)?

No

it will say you have to select management server.

Gup takes updates from the manager

more info

Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 Group Update Provider (GUP)

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007092720522748

forgot to mention..lot of additions in MU5 GUP

Configuring the Group Update Provider (GUP) in Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 RU5

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009092901593448

• 4.  RE: MR4 GUP Carification please

Posted Dec 14, 2009 08:25 AM
    Thanks for the quick respnose Rafeeq!

• 5.  RE: MR4 GUP Carification please

Posted Dec 14, 2009 08:27 AM

Question 1 - If your GUP option is selected and the 'default management server (recommended)' is selected and the 'LiveUpdate Server' tick box is not - what happens then?

The client first takes the upadte from the GUP.If the GUP is not able to update the client the client takes update from the SEPM.
    Even if the SEPM is not able to do so it  goes to the internet to get the update.

NO , the client will not bypass the GUP

No, it will not.

Yes it will work efficently.