Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

GUPs not working

Migration User

Migration UserMar 19, 2010 01:25 PM

• 1.  GUPs not working

Posted Mar 17, 2010 11:41 PM
    I recently setup several GUPS, some on Windows XP computers, some on Windows Server 2003 R2.  The Windows XP GUPS work, but the Server 2003 do not.  One thing I noticed is the Server 2003 computers did not create the shared updates folder and when you right click on them and check properties to see if they are a GUP(11.0.5 RU5) they show false, but the XP computers show true.

Anyone seen this before?

• 2.  RE: GUPs not working

Posted Mar 18, 2010 12:21 AM
    How do you specified GUP in  the Liveupdate policy --Based on OS.Double check and assure that you are selected server 2003 is selected.Also assure that you assigned same policy for all your clients and server..

It it be better if you are able to provide as a screen shot of this policy..

• 3.  RE: GUPs not working

Posted Mar 18, 2010 08:06 AM
    I did not specify by OS, only by IP address.  I will add the OS and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: GUPs not working

Posted Mar 18, 2010 08:29 AM
    Are you assigned same policy to both xp and 2003 computes?
    Wheter they received those policies(You can find this with the help of policy sl. no.)?

If the answer for both the questions is yes refer this KB
    Troubleshooting the Group Update Provider (GUP) in Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP)

• 5.  RE: GUPs not working

Posted Mar 18, 2010 10:01 AM
    I have 4 Liveupdate policies, two GUPS assigned to each policy.  One GUP is XP, the other is 2003.

I deleted all of my GUP policies and reapplied them, adding the OS where applicable.  Not sure if the GUPS all received the policies, so I checked the logs on the client computers that are assigned to the GUPS.  I only checked client logs for 1 of my 4 policies, but each client Iog I looked at acknowledged the XP GUP but not the 2003 GUP.

• 6.  RE: GUPs not working

Posted Mar 19, 2010 02:58 AM
    Do you assigned the same Liveupdate policy for 2003 server and for the groups which is suppose to use 2003 sever as GUP?(It should be)
    if no do it.

• 7.  RE: GUPs not working

Posted Mar 19, 2010 01:07 PM

I think if I assign the same policy to both groups, I will be defeating the purpose of the GUP (to save bandwidth)

I have the server 2003 GUP in the following group( which is our AD structure)

My company\servers

The clients I want to be assigned to this GUP are in this group:

My company\off-sites\ops\computers

The GUP and the clients are located in the same building and on the same subnet of our network, but there are several other servers in the MY COMPANY\SERVERS group that are in other locations and different subnets, meaning they will go across the WAN to reach the GUP, correct? (not to mention that my two SEPM's are in the MY COMPANY\SERVERS group are in different locations and different subnet of our network as well)

The Shared updates folder never was created on the 2003 GUP either, would it be helpful if I sent you the debug log for the computer  I want to serve as the GUP?

• 8.  RE: GUPs not working

Posted Mar 19, 2010 01:25 PM

are you trying to Add Multiple GUP providers ?

• 9.  RE: GUPs not working
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 19, 2010 04:30 PM
    Your GUP servers don't know they are supposed to be GUP servers... (based on the fact they are showing FALSE under the GUP field, and the SharedUpdates folder doesn't exist)  They will only know they are supposed to serve as GUPs if you have a LiveUpdate Policy applied to their group that tells them to be GUPs.

The way I do it for 2 of my clients is to setup "locations" in each group (server and workstation groups) and apply the appropriate Live Update server to the location.  So if a client has an IP in a specific range, it knows it is in Location X and should use the LiveUpdate policy and GUP server defined for location X.

So yes, you should have the same LiveUpdate policy defined for your Servers AND your workstations, but you should use Location Awareness to differentiate between which clients on which network should use which GUP server.

Hope this makes sense... I have one client with 140 different remote locations and GUP servers and they work great.  I have had to learn a lot of the pitfalls to getting GUPS working properly the hard way ;)

• 10.  RE: GUPs not working

Posted Mar 20, 2010 01:36 AM
    Create a single liveupdate policy and apply to all groups.
    When you are using multiple GUP feature in RU5 clients will receive updates from A GUP which is present in the same subnet only.
    Also assure that the clients are able to contact GUP in the port 2967 (This is the default port  but configurable in LU policy).
    The folder shard updates will be created only when it receives the first request for the update

• 11.  RE: GUPs not working

Posted Mar 22, 2010 09:24 AM

Just a little side note, in order to use multiple GUPs the clients have to all be on RU5.
    I have created seperate groups and liveupdate policies for each of these groups.

Mike

• 12.  RE: GUPs not working

Posted Mar 22, 2010 12:10 PM
    Thank  you, I ws wondering when the shared updates folder is created.

• 13.  RE: GUPs not working

Posted Mar 22, 2010 12:12 PM
    Thank you, I will attempt to utilize locations.

I too am learning the hard way!  Hopefully, your suggestions will make it less hard.

• 14.  RE: GUPs not working

Posted Mar 22, 2010 12:13 PM
    its created when you make it GUP the first time.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008040113243148

• 15.  RE: GUPs not working

Posted Mar 22, 2010 02:03 PM
    Thank you, I will definitely give this a try.  I have to be able to take advantage of GUPs.

• 16.  RE: GUPs not working

Posted Mar 22, 2010 03:08 PM
    Just to make sure I am understanding correctly, I will have to have a Liveupdate policy for each location so I can define the GUP.  Also create the locations under the workstation and GUP groups.  I am defining my locations by IP address range, so if the given workstations and GUPs fall within the range defined by the Location, they will use the GUP assigned to that location via Liveupdate Policy.