View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Health Status poor - low memory

• 1.  Health Status poor - low memory

Posted Jul 17, 2009 11:14 AM
    Running SEPM SBE v12 with embedded database - 2 clients + client on server

We are receiving emails about once a day with the following:

Server SBS health status: poor.
    Reason: Memory on your Symantec Protection Center server is running low.

Can anyone shed light on this? We didn't get any reports when running SEPM nor when we ran SBE beta.

Thanks.

Michael

• 2.  RE: Health Status poor - low memory

Posted Jul 17, 2009 04:18 PM
    Does your server meet the minimum system requirements?

* 32-bit processor: 1-GHz Intel Pentium III or equivalent minimum (Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent recommended)
    * 64-bit processor: 2-GHz Pentium 4 with x86-64 support or equivalent minimum
    Intel Itanium IA-64 is not supported.
    * Operating systems: Windows 2000 Server, Windows XP (32-bit, 64-bit), Windows Server 2003 (32-bit, 64-bit), Windows Server 2008 (32-bit, 64-bit), Windows Small Business Server 2008 (64-bit), or Windows Essential Business Server 2008 (64-bit)
    Windows Vista (32-bit, 64-bit) is not officially supported.
    * RAM memory: 1 GB of RAM minimum (2 GB of RAM recommended)
    * Hard disk: 4 GB or more free space

• 3.  RE: Health Status poor - low memory

Posted Jul 20, 2009 04:31 PM
    Hello, Can you please provide an update on your issue?

Thomas

• 4.  RE: Health Status poor - low memory

Posted Jul 22, 2009 09:04 AM
    Most of the times, it will send you report when the memory is low
    check your memory and it should solve the problem

• 5.  RE: Health Status poor - low memory

Posted Jul 23, 2009 01:49 PM
    @ Dabbler,

Are you still seeing issues with your server? Please give us an update.

Thanks,
    Thomas

• 6.  RE: Health Status poor - low memory

Posted Sep 03, 2009 04:18 AM
    I have noticed this issue too.
    My server meets all the requirements, but every night I receive an e-mail health status for poor memory, right as Dabbler.

The free disk space is actually 18GB.

In the attached report I see:

Integrity status:                      Good
    CPU utilization:                      18%
    Memory utilization:                 93%
    Disk free space:                    18590 MB

Server: IBM x3400 intel Xeon CPU 5130 2Ghz and 2Gb Ram - Windows SBS2003 R2 SP2

• 7.  RE: Health Status poor - low memory

Posted Sep 03, 2009 10:57 AM
    Just because you meet the minimum requirements does not necessarily mean that you won't end up with high memory usage on the server. If you are running many programs on the server then those also take up memory and if you are over whatever your warning level is (which 93% probably puts you over), then you'll get the messages. You can check how much memory each program is using in the task manager, under the mem usage category. If you haven't restarted in a long time, you may have some sqlserv.exe processes taking up a lot of your CPUs memory and you can fix that by following some instructions here:

http://msmvps.com:80/blogs/bradley/archive/2005/02/04/34984.aspx

• 8.  RE: Health Status poor - low memory

Posted Sep 03, 2009 11:24 AM
    Thank you for your answer.

I will check all the software installed, but i don't think that many programs are installed on my server, here a list:

SBS2003 R2 SP2 Standard Edition
    Symantec SEP SBE 12
    Symantec Mail Security for Exchange 6.0.9.286
    Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 SP2

Basically only Microsoft and Symantec software needed to work in a Small Business environment. 

Maybe server needs optimization and I will follow the link that you posted.
    Thank you very much.

• 9.  RE: Health Status poor - low memory

Posted Nov 04, 2009 11:18 AM
    Was the memory issue solved?  How was it corrected?

• 10.  RE: Health Status poor - low memory

Posted Feb 24, 2010 08:07 AM
    i get roughly the same exact message as blu.

this is a brand new server i have.

dell xeon 2.4
    4 gig of ram
    sbs x64

what is the problem here?? why am i constantly getting emails that the health of my server is low??

they seem to get send at around 2am every morning.

edit: i only have three programs installed on the server!

two of them are the same as the op.

the third is one very small footprinted power management program which communicates with my ups.

• 11.  RE: Health Status poor - low memory

Posted Feb 25, 2010 03:55 AM
    pls create another thread for your problem.Since this is a very old thread most of the people may ignore it. 

• 12.  RE: Health Status poor - low memory

Posted Apr 08, 2010 11:57 AM
    The "low memory" warning simply means that almost all physical memory in the server has been allocated to individual processes.  This is a very common operating condition for any server running Windows Small Business Server (both 2003 and 2008), as well as any Windows server hosting either Exchange or SQL Server databases.  The Microsoft Exchange Information Store process (store.exe) tends to grab as much memory as it can, so a low memory condition as defined by the System Health notification is probably *not* a sign of poor server health.  SQL Server also has this memory usage characteristic in its default configuration, so warnings about memory usage may be spurious on SQL Server hosts as well. 

You can verify this by opening the Task Manager on the server, switching to the "Processes" tab, and sorting by memory usage.  If the top process(es) are store.exe and/or sqlserver.exe, and their memory usage far exceeds anything else in the system, then you probably don't have a lot to worry about.

We have chosen to turn off Server Health notifications in SPC, since there is zero ability to tweak the conditions that cause the alarms to go off.  Instead, we rely on more accurate monitoring information from the Windows SBS monitoring service and from Spiceworks.