Deployment Solution

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

• 1.  DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Broadcom Partner
    Posted Nov 21, 2013 02:41 PM

When i try to run a simple script Task in Deployment Server 7.5 HF1 after a Reboot to WINPE (PXE) I´m getting the following error:

An unknown exception was thrown.

CAtrsException exception, error = "Unable to get task version object", OS error = 2147549183, at line 449

script_error_DS75HF1.png

If I restart the same Run Script Task - it works. Before installing HF1 this error does not occure!

After further investigation of the error i found additional Information in the smp.log File..

<event date='11/24/2013 16:41:35.2080000 -08:00' severity='2' hostName='minint-sb7jb1v' source='CAtrsException' module='Client Task Agent.dll' process='PECTAgent.exe' pid='1656' thread='1692' tickCount='220242' >
      <![CDATA[CTaskServerNetCommsConnection::GetTaskDefinitions(): CTaskServerOperationException exception, error = "OperationResult value: FailedServerGeneralFailure", OS error = 5, at CTaskServerOperationException::CTaskServerOperationException
        re-throw at CTaskServerNetCommsConnection::_checkResponse
        re-throw at CTaskServerNetCommsConnection::_ExtractAndCheckResponse
        re-throw at CTaskServerNetCommsConnection::_CallMethod
        re-throw at CTaskServerNetCommsConnection::_CallMethod
        re-throw at CTaskServerNetCommsConnection::_Post
        re-throw at CTaskServerNetCommsConnection::_PostToTaskServer
        re-throw at CTaskServerNetCommsConnection::GetTaskDefinitions]]>
    </event>
    <event date='11/24/2013 16:41:35.2080000 -08:00' severity='1' hostName='minint-sb7jb1v' source='CAtrsException' module='Client Task Agent.dll' process='PECTAgent.exe' pid='1656' thread='1692' tickCount='220242' >
      <![CDATA[CClientTaskVersionCacheBase::_get_version_from_server(): CAtrsException exception, error = "Unable to get task version [7494ba4f-1aa5-4470-b778-602c7807c8db] from the Task Server.", OS error = 2147942405, at line 198
        re-throw at CClientTaskVersionCacheBase::_get_version_from_server]]>
    </event>
    <event date='11/24/2013 16:41:35.2080000 -08:00' severity='1' hostName='minint-sb7jb1v' source='CAtrsException' module='Client Task Agent.dll' process='PECTAgent.exe' pid='1656' thread='1692' tickCount='220242' >
      <![CDATA[CClientTaskVersionCache::GetTaskVersion(): CAtrsException exception, error = "Unable to get task version 7494ba4f-1aa5-4470-b778-602c7807c8db", OS error = 2147549183, at line 92
        re-throw at CClientTaskVersionCacheBase::_GetTaskVersion]]>
    </event>
    <event date='11/24/2013 16:41:35.2080000 -08:00' severity='4' hostName='minint-sb7jb1v' source='Client Task Agent' module='Client Task Agent.dll' process='PECTAgent.exe' pid='1656' thread='1692' tickCount='220242' >
      <![CDATA[Task finished. Instance: [305bfb93-8928-4155-9c05-7cd80d79924d], Result code: [-2147418113], Succeeded: [FALSE], Type: [ts], In Progress: [FALSE], Interrupted: [FALSE].]]>
    </event>
    <event date='11/24/2013 16:41:35.2240000 -08:00' severity='2' hostName='minint-sb7jb1v' source='Client Task Agent' module='Client Task Agent.dll' process='PECTAgent.exe' pid='1656' thread='1692' tickCount='220257' >
      <![CDATA[CClientTaskStatusCollector::OnTaskFinished(): Task start time is invalid.]]>
    </event>
    <event date='11/24/2013 16:41:35.2240000 -08:00' severity='1' hostName='minint-sb7jb1v' source='CAtrsException' module='Client Task Agent.dll' process='PECTAgent.exe' pid='1656' thread='1692' tickCount='220257' >
      <![CDATA[CTaskExecutionEngineBase::_onProcessPending(): CAtrsException exception, error = "Unable to get task version object", OS error = 2147549183, at line 449
        re-throw at CTaskExecutionEngineBase::_onProcessPending
        re-throw at CTaskExecutionEngineBase::_onProcessPending
        re-throw at CTaskExecutionEngineBase::_onProcessPending]]>
    </event>

Network23

• 2.  RE: DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Posted Nov 26, 2013 08:51 AM

I am seeing the exact same thing, I have also seen it deploying quick software delivery tasks in windows.

Hope a solution will be around very soon.

Cheers

Kåre

• 3.  RE: DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 26, 2013 10:02 AM

Hello,

Have you re-created preboot environment?
    If we try simple run script in production environment (in windows) does it work?
    Are the Task handler and DS plugins all upgraded on NS, Site Server and end client?

Was the run script we are trying created pre HF1 or after, if pre could you try to create new run script task and test it also.

• 4.  RE: DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 26, 2013 10:13 AM

I wasnt able to dupe this issue.

Steps. DS 7.5 with HF1 installed today.

Boot client to WinPE x64 automation.

Create a new Run Script task (dir >> x:\dirtest.log)

From the first run i can see that i've got dirtest.log created in root of X: drive.

Am i'm missing anything? Can you please provide me with more details for review?

Thank you.

• 5.  RE: DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Posted Nov 26, 2013 11:23 AM

I am also seeing this issue with my server deployments. In my case it almost seems like after a reboot or SOI the NS/TS still sees the agent as running and ready but the agent is not always ready to process a task.  I see it sporadically, not every job run.  Very inconsistent and frustrating.

I have two sub-jobs in an “Base 2K8 STD R2 Server Build” Job:

• Sub-Job1:  Standard SOI (erase disk, partition disk, 2K8 R2 STD SOI, …)
    • Sub-Job2:  Base Build Configuration (Multiple scripts, default profile setup, server features and registry imports, multiple reboots, etc...)

My workaround until Symantec picks up my support request:

1. I added 3 tasks immediately after the SOI in Job1, "update client configuration", "send inventory", "update client configuration" (which sometimes fail with this error)
    2. After each reboot in Job2 I added these same 3 tasks (which sometimes fail with this error)

This seems to give the agent enough time to (sometimes) fail on these tasks but then be able to process tasks after.  Or it will process them just fine and just add an extra ~5 minutes to my Base OS Server build job.

If anyone else has any other ideas, I’m open.  Support has been kind of slow lately with all the 7.5 issues out there, so I’ll probably using a this or another workaround for a couple weeks.

• 6.  RE: DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Broadcom Partner
    Posted Nov 26, 2013 01:48 PM

Hi Indrek_K and Plint

@Indrek_K: I´ve recreated the Preboot Environment multiple times without any success.

All Task Handler and DS Plugins are upgraded with the HF1 Plugins/Agents

The run scipts task was created before and recreated after the Installation of HF1 without any success.

@plit

Same behavior like andrew.novak describes: Error does not occur everytime the job runs and it's very inconstistent. My Job first runs a reboot to WINPE and after that the Run Script Task looks as follows

-------

pause
    x:\loginw.exe -f x:\adminst.pwl -c NS75 -d TESTDOM -t 30
    net use w: \\NS75\NSCap
    pause

----------

When the error described above occurs it never shows the message "press any key to continue" - instead the task fails with the error message described above...

Network23

• 7.  RE: DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Posted Nov 27, 2013 07:14 AM

Hi all,

today I ran into the same issue, and I could fix it with a quite simple workaround, which is to enable the "Legacy Agent Communication". You can do this in Settings - All Settings - Notficiation Server Settings - Notification Server Settings.

*EDIT: After further testing, the issue is not fixed with this workaround. It´s much more better as the error is not occuring that often, but it´s still there.

Greetz, Mario

• 8.  RE: DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Posted Nov 27, 2013 09:39 AM

I BELIEVE we are seeing this when the Task Server is not updated yet.  Can you please verify that after HF1 is installed you enable the Task Server upgrade policy and that the Task Servers are all upgraded?

• 9.  RE: DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Posted Nov 27, 2013 10:09 AM

I enabled the TS upgrade policy, nothing happened on the TS agent side as far as even picking up a configuration update. Attached two screenshots of agent versioning on the "NS/Package/NBS" server and separate "Task" server PRIOR to enabling the TS agent upgrade. And, Yes I have Package services installed on the NS :)

I did notice one thing just now while typing this... that the "Altiris Deployment Solution 7.5 HF1” in SIM is version 7.5.1598, whereas the “Deployment Task Server Handler” agent plugin for DS is at version 7.5.1597.  I honestly do not know if these are supposed to match, but looks like they should when comparing agent plugins to platform versions in SIM…

Do you know what I can do to force this DS Task Server Handler plugin to upgrade?  I have every agent upgrade policy enabled.

• 10.  RE: DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Posted Nov 27, 2013 11:15 AM

Well, for what it's worth, another engineer just notified me that we expect to see a fix for this in HF2, due out in December.  I apologize for not having a date.  Aparently this was raised to Development already.

Learn something new every day.

I have a question, if you re-start the Object Host service on the Site Server, wait a few, and try again, does the problem go away?

• 11.  RE: DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Posted Nov 27, 2013 11:28 AM

@Thomas Baird

I have not tried restarting the Object Host service on the Site server lately, but since the HF1 install the Site server has been bounced multiple times.  Are you thinking a scheduled service restart nightly, or few times a day may help?  or just that after the HF1 install one is required?

Does Development know or willing to release a root cause?  Sometimes knowing RC helps us put in a better workaround until a fix is released:

• A new task to restart the TS nightly
    • Upping NS.Delta run times
    • Using a "Server Job" to update TS prior to completing an SOI
    • etc...

Right now my adding 3 system tasks after an SOI and computer reboot in a job seem to work for me, I just expect those 3 tasks to fail...

Thanks for the update though, nice to know there is a plan in place to resolve.

• 12.  RE: DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Posted Nov 27, 2013 11:54 AM

root cause seemed to be related to caching some data in the services for ItemVersion.  I couldn't gather anything more from the bug report.  All I can suggest would be a call possibly to rip it apart and/or add fuel to see about an early fix/release.

• 13.  RE: DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Posted Nov 27, 2013 04:41 PM

Thanks Thomas for all the info,

It also appears my workaround does not always work either :(.   It happened to me again today after working all week.

I opened Task Server SR: 05578925 to hopefully shed more light on this issue.  It's kind of a big issue to wait until December, IMO.  As the Altiris platform engineer for my company I have put the 7.5 cut-over on hold until this is resolved.

• 14.  RE: DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2013 07:59 AM

Hi Andrew,

In 7.5 Task Server services are running under the Local System account. To access the SMP database impersonation under the NS identity user is performed. Sometimes impersonation performed incorrectly (bug) and request to the database attempted under the NS "Local System" account. If NS local system user doesn’t have access to the SMP database then exception will be thrown.

Workaround is allow access to SMP DB for the NS local system user (I know it sounds bad..).

Please note: reconfiguring Task Server services under the NS user IS NOT a workaround, such change will make TS completely non-functional.

Please apology for the problems,

Alex.

• 15.  RE: DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Broadcom Partner
    Posted Dec 09, 2013 02:47 PM

Hi Thomas and Alex

Can you give us a Date when we can expect a fix for this issue? Will this issue be fixed in HF2?

Network23

• 16.  RE: DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Posted Dec 10, 2013 06:06 PM

I just got word that HF2 wil be released by 12/17/13 from the support engineer helping me with the case I have open for this.

--edit--  HF2 contains the fix for this.

• 17.  RE: DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Posted Dec 12, 2013 10:48 AM

That date is approximate.  We don't actually have a release date yet for the HF.

I only say that because I was speaking with product management only an hour ago about this exact question.  It IS a December HotFix, and it does NOT make sense to release Christmas day, so that guess is relatively safe, but it's not official yet.  We don't even have an official build of it yet, so it's kind of hard to promise, right?

• 18.  RE: DS 7.5 HF1 error when running Script Task

Posted Dec 18, 2013 11:30 PM
    I installed all the 7.5 HF2 updates last night (including the DS HF2), let the agent upgrades run overnight. I deployed my SOI all day testing (imaged about ~30 test VMs) and didn't see the "unable to get task version object" exemption error once. All my SOI jobs completed as expected. I'd call this resolved (for me anyway). :)