Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Is SEPM 64-bit?

Posted Jun 12, 2012 10:33 AM

Hi,

I'm setting up a new server, Windows 2008 R2 Standard, to serve the End Point Protection Manager.  I've downloaded the following:

Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.1_MP1_Part1_Installation_EN.EXE

Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1_RU1_Part1_Installation_EN.EXE

Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.1_MP1_SEPM_EN.EXE

When I run the setup program for any of them I get to the Destination Folder screen and it says C:\Program Files (x86)\...

My understanding is that this folder is for 32-bit apps.  This server is a 64-bit server, at least that is what it says under Computer Propreties. 

Question is, is SEPM a 32-bit application or is there a 64-bit version?  How can I tell? Or am I missing something here, shouldn't it want to install in the C:\Program Files directory?

I've spoke with tech support and they direct me to licensing customer service for the correct download, which has led me to these downloads, then they direct me back to tech support.  Just feel like I'm going in circles there.

Thanks in advance,

Linn

• 2.  RE: Is SEPM 64-bit?
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jun 12, 2012 10:40 AM

Hello,

SEPM could be used on both OS (32 bit and 64 bit). It is intelligent enough to understand the type of OS.

Secondly, to understand the type of Download from Fileconnect, check this Article:

Understanding the Downloads of Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) 12.1 available on Symantec FileConnect website.

Hope that helps!!

• 3.  RE: Is SEPM 64-bit?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 12, 2012 10:41 AM

SEPM has only one setup which can be installed on 32 bit as well 64 bit.

• 4.  RE: Is SEPM 64-bit?

Posted Jun 12, 2012 12:58 PM

Just to keep it short , its a 32 bit application . 

Edit @@  SEPM being a 32 bit application can still be isntalled on 64 bit machine , but the install path would be in program files x86 and the registries would be created under wow64.

• 5.  RE: Is SEPM 64-bit?

Posted Jun 12, 2012 04:30 PM

Ok, thanks everyone that is what I was thinking too.  Mithun, thanks for the link, helped me determine which install to use.  Wonder if this site will allow me to mark more than one as a solution?

Thanks,

Linn