Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Organizing software installs into groups without having to maintain duplicate jobs

Posted Nov 04, 2009 06:24 PM
    If the title made no sense I apologize :)  I'll explain what my current situation is like, and hopefully I'm just completely missing something and there will be an easier way to handle this.

I have a long list of all of the install jobs.  I then I have folders categorized for a certain group of computers.  For example, a folder with software jobs for Group A, and another folder with software jobs for Group B, and another for Group C and so on.  All of those jobs are already in the long list, as well as being in these folders, as well as being duplicated in each folder.  Like, Group A will need Office, Adobe, and Firefox, while Group B will only need Firefox and Adobe, and Group C will need just Office.

So with just 3 groups, I have the same job duplicated 3 times, and if I need to make a change to that job, I have to go into every folder to find that same job to make that same change.  IS there a way I can have one job, and have other jobs that reference that job, so a change to that master job is replicated to the others? 

• 2.  RE: Organizing software installs into groups without having to maintain duplicate jobs

Posted Nov 05, 2009 10:23 AM
    Maybe it's too basic, but you can copy the job instead of changing the other jobs.  As far as updating the jobs automatically, I don't think that functionality exists in DS.

Your best bet would be using software policies if you own CMS.  Set up different Groups with different policies and they'll get the software they need based on the policy.

• 3.  RE: Organizing software installs into groups without having to maintain duplicate jobs
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 05, 2009 05:28 PM
    I can't find the article from altirigos.com, but I remember someone just calling jobs from placeholders. Put all your Master Software jobs in a software folder. This is the only place you will edit. Now for your Group folders put jobs with empty Run scripts with just  a REM do nothing statement. For the Success code on those jobs in the group folders, change it from 'Continue' to call the master job instead. Then you only edit jobs in one place. It will have two pieces of history for the PC this way....

Java Link for Group A
    Java Runtime Installation
    Adobe Standard Link for Group A
    Adobe Standard Installation
    --------------
    UPDATE: I found the link: http://www.altirigos.com/vbulletin/ds-console-web-console/7742-chaining-ds-jobs.html
    --------------
    After thinking about it again just make a job called "Deploy Software for Group A". Add multiple REM Do nothing run scripts to this, one for each piece of desired software. For each run script call the real job. For the computer history then you will see something like this...

Deploy Software for Group A (this will have all the various job calls within it)
    Java Runtime Installation
    Adobe Standard Installation
    etc....

• 4.  RE: Organizing software installs into groups without having to maintain duplicate jobs

Posted Feb 26, 2010 12:50 PM
     Thank you!  This was very much helpful.  I can't seem to get my Deployment Server to run scripts locally, I keep getting "Error code 8 during script execution".

Your comment was very helpful though, it has me going in the right direction once I figure out now my other issue.

UPDATE:  I have this working now completely.  This is so much better than how I had it before.  The error code 8 I received was because of the Deployment Console's security setting.  axsched needs to be run with the /lu and /lp switch with a user that has administrator rights in Deployment Console if security is enabled.