Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Bloodhound Question

Posted Dec 01, 2009 01:52 PM
    Watching Symantec's threat meter, I occassionally see posts that a new heuristic technology has been added with a the following description.   "Symantec’s antivirus products contain an highly sensitive detection technology designed to detect entirely new malware threats without traditional signatures. This technology is aimed at detecting malicious software that has been intentionally mutated or morphed by attackers."   Is this type of technology available using the default bloodhound setting or do we have to ramp it up to maximum?   We've had several occurrences where Network Threat Protection has blocked outgoing communication from an executable in the temporary internet temp directory and have located malicous files that the AV engine misses (we submit to Symantec of course).    But I've never seen any of these new heuristic technologies pick up on these type of files even at the maximum bloodhound level.    Proactive Threat Protection doesn't complain about them either.   Is there a way to confirm that heuristics is working so as a test file solely meant to test heuristics and not definition based threats?

• 2.  RE: Bloodhound Question
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 01, 2009 02:19 PM
     If you increase the Proactive threat protection sensitivity you will see the false alarms.
    However even if Bloodhound is set to max i havent come across any false positives.
    There isn't any Heuristic Test file available as far i as i know.

• 3.  RE: Bloodhound Question

Posted Dec 01, 2009 02:23 PM
    I've had Proactive Threat Protection on high for both settings for 250 computers for a long time with only one detection (Fedex software).   It says it's on and up2date, but it never catches anything.   So either we run a tight shop or something doesn't work right. 

• 4.  RE: Bloodhound Question

Posted Dec 03, 2009 11:37 AM
    The original RTM version of SEP was code named Hamlet. RU5 was named Jade :D

• 5.  RE: Bloodhound Question

Posted Dec 03, 2009 11:42 AM
     Well...how did that go against William Shakespeare