Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
  • 1.  DFS vs. Package Servers

Posted Mar 16, 2009 05:23 AM
    Hello.

Does anyone have any experience in using DFS instead of Package Server for Software Delivery Tasks?

E.g. when creating a new SWD package, I configure the package source to "Access package from an existing UNC", enter my DFS Namespace and then let DFS decide from which physical server the client will download the package from.

Any pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.

/MiGe

• 2.  RE: DFS vs. Package Servers
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 16, 2009 06:11 AM
    The biggest drawback is that it is not officially supported (with v6 anyway).
    I spent a great deal of time trying to get this to work with a Windows 2000 based DFS, and it was pretty much a failure. Windows 2003 based seemed to offer better hope, however the issue usually boiled down to problems with FRS, and getting support from either MS or Altiris.

• 3.  RE: DFS vs. Package Servers

Posted Mar 16, 2009 09:33 PM
    Hi Jim.

Is this the error you got?

Error, 'access denied' when trying to create a package with a file hosted on a DFS share

The same KB article states the following, so I guess it's not worth spending time on it with the current version of NS.

quote:

Distributed File System shares (DFS) are not currently supported in Notification Server.

• 4.  RE: DFS vs. Package Servers

Posted Mar 17, 2009 02:24 AM
    Our main issue was (we had a multi-master DFS) that when a single instance of the FRS would stop, software delivery for all clients (regardless of Notification Server) would stop.

• 5.  RE: DFS vs. Package Servers

Posted Mar 17, 2009 02:29 AM
    OK, thanks.

Do you know if NS7 will support DFS? (BTW, any official release date on NS7 yet?)

• 6.  RE: DFS vs. Package Servers

Posted Mar 17, 2009 02:57 AM
    It's actually been released (officially March 6th). I've only used the beta, and I didn't have a production setup to test it with, so still in the dark on DFS support.

• 7.  RE: DFS vs. Package Servers

Posted Apr 24, 2009 09:57 AM
    Hi.

Just a quick update on this subject.

I contacted Symantec to get an official status on this, and they say that it's unsupported because they haven't really tested it thoroughly.

The tech. guy created a feature request for this, so I would like to encourage everyone with interest in getting DFS support in NS6 and NS7 to go to kb.altiris.com/article.asp (AKB 46771) and subscribe to the feature.