Control Compliance Suite

View Only
  • 1.  CCS 11.0 agent based message data collection

Posted Nov 29, 2012 09:55 PM

Hello, Could anyone tell what is the real situation with message based data collection deployment. CCS 11 planning and deployment guide states that: ■ In case of agent-less data collection, 1 server to host the CCS Manager in Collector role. ■ In case of agent-based raw-data collection, 1 server to host the CCS Manager in Collector role. ■ In case of message based data collection, 1 server to host the CCS Manager in Collector role. As i anderstand from here, I need 2 servers, if I have both agent-less data collection and message based data collection. However, http://www.ts.avnet.com/uk/vendors/symantec/information_risk_compliance/control_compliance.html states: "Carry out agent-based and agent-less data assessments from a single server, reducing the amount of infrastructure needed for deployment and simplifying server configuration and management". Though, how many servers realy needed for agent-less and message based data collection?

• 2.  RE: CCS 11.0 agent based message data collection
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 11, 2012 04:48 PM

You just want to make sure you have your "message-based" CCS Mgr on it's own box (no other CCS roles, not even other data collection roles).

Why? We throttle it down for msg-based Data Collection. (and that's "real world") See the v11 planning & deployment guide, page 93. This is from page 94:

"

Using a CCS Manager with Collector role for message based data collection, with
    other roles such as evaluation or reporting may affect the data collection
    performance. Symantec recommends that you install a CCS Manager only with
    the Data Collector role for message based data collection.

Using a CCS Manager configured with above mentioned settings to collect
    agent-less or agent-based raw-data may affect the data collection performance.
    Symantec recommends to use separate CCS Manager for agent-less or agent-based
    raw-data collection and configure routing rules to route the assets to specific CCS
    Managers.

"

Hope this helps! :)