Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 space issues

Posted Apr 23, 2012 10:38 AM

We are running SEP 12.1.1000.157, with 2 Local Site servers. I have been trying to resolve space issues on both servers. The C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic folder is taking 14.7gb of space on one server, and 17.3gb on the other. The files  all pretty much have .tmp.dat.err extensions.Can these directories be cleared, or is there a setting adjustment that can be made to limit the size of this directory?

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 space issues

Posted Apr 23, 2012 10:47 AM

The logs from the clients are sent to the server, server on processing these logs sends them to the db. When there is an error during processing, these .err files appear.

You can either delete them or rename them as .tmp.dat after which they get re-processed.

Surprised to see this happening with 12.1.

If you decide to delete them, you can also create a batch script to do this periodically.

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 space issues

Posted Apr 23, 2012 11:17 AM

Thank You!

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 space issues
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 23, 2012 11:35 AM

Hello,

Here are the Steps which would resolve the issue:

1. Stop Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service
    2. Delete accumulated .dat files in all folders
    3. Kill hanging bcp.exe processes
    4. Open \Program files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\etc\conf.properties in Notepad
    5. Add line "scm.log.batchmode=1" to stop bcp.exe from being used in future
    6. Start SEPM service.

You should now see that file are inserted and deleted.

Also, check this Articles:

Checking the inbox logs on the management server

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55025

About increasing the space by adjusting the amount of client log data

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55339

Hope that helps!!

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.1 space issues

Posted Apr 23, 2012 04:35 PM

I hvae gone through the steps detailed above. At this point everything looks good, and I have not seen any additional .tmp.dat.err files. Thanks for the assistance.

One think to note from the 2 links you suggested, I do not have a SEPM folder under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\ as the articles note to modify.