File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGP Desktop Virtual Disk User Access with New PC

Posted May 15, 2011 09:06 AM

I created a 10GB and a 40GB virtual disk with PGP 8.0. Both are passphrase only access (no keys). They were deployed on three disk drives as follows:

Desktop XP PC:  40GB PGP disk

Win XP Laptop: 10GB PGP disk

External disk drive: both the 10GB and 40GB PGP disks are backed up on this drive

When my desktop HDD crashed I got a Win7 laptop and PGP Desktop 10.1.2. It asked me to import my old public and private keys to the new laptop when I first installed the program. I copied both PGP disks to the new laptop from the external HDD. New deployment:

Win XP Laptop: 10GB PGP disk

Win 7 Laptop #1:  40GB PGP disk and 10GB PGP disk stored locally

External disk drive: 10GB and 40GB PGP disks are backed up on this drive 

I had no problem opening either virtual disk with either laptop, regardless of the location of the virtual disk. Then I put PGP 10.1 on my second new Win7 laptop. This laptop also has both the 10GB and the 40GB PGP disks copied to its HDD from the external HDD.                   Now all of the PCs can open the 10GB disk from any location but NONE of them can open the 40GB disk, which no longer recognizes the passphrase.

When I look at the Disk Properties of the two disks in the PGP Disk menu on PGP 10.1, my old passphrase user name is associated with the 10GB disk. There is no user or passphrase associated with the 40GB disk, on any of the PCs. Nor will the PGP Desktop program allow me to add a user to the 40GB disk. When I try, PGP returns the error: "There was a problem creating this user".

The only thing that I can think of that may have caused a problem is that I may have typed my full name in upper/lower case into the User name on Win7 Laptop 2 when I installed PGP 10.1. I also generated new keys on that laptop. That should not be the reason that none of the PCs can now open the 40GB PGP disk.

How can I regain access to my 40GB virtual disk?

• 2.  RE: PGP Desktop Virtual Disk User Access with New PC

Posted Mar 04, 2012 03:51 PM

How did you regain access to the 40GB virtual disk?

I'm having the same symptoms with a virtual disk that also has only one passphrase. It probably was also created with 8.something (in 2006) and has worked as expected until today, when it no longer accepts the passphrase or shows any users in the PGP Desktop “User Access” pane. Because PGP can no longer find any users or passphrases associated with the PGD file, all administrative functions fail also (adding users with “there was a problem creating this user” and re-encrypt from the WE context menu with “The admin user's private key is not present on this machine. You will not be able to perform any operations that require administrator password.”

Is this virtual disk lost forever, or are there any troubleshooting or recovery steps? Backups for this virtual disk are monthly and offsite.

The box is patched WinXP SP3 and PGP Desktop build 2526. Other PGP virtual disks still work, including CAST ones dated 2003 and ones created recently with PGP 10.1 and 10.2.