Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEPM can't load monitor / reports occassionally and can't logoff successfully.

Migration User

Migration UserNov 07, 2011 10:00 AM

Migration User

Migration UserNov 08, 2011 10:09 PMBest Answer

• 1.  SEPM can't load monitor / reports occassionally and can't logoff successfully.

Posted Oct 28, 2011 12:33 AM

I've installed 3 SEPM for 3 different sites and they are running standalone network.

Two sites are running smooth installed on Server 2003 32bit using HP ML110G5(E3100/4G/250G×2) and Dell PowerEdge T310(X3430/4G/500G×2) servers respectivitely.  The reponse of displaying SEPM's montior or report page is running smooth too.

For the third site, they are using the following DIY hardware: Core 2 2.33G, 4G Ram,  Asus motherboard, 250G HDD

I ever installed it with Server 2003 32bit and be a 2nd Domain controller in the domain network. But the SEPM was running super slow after installed SEPM and SEPC. Then I gave up and re-installed it as member Server only. The SEPM response is normal.

But when I logon the SEPM within server, it won't show the Monitors or Reports screen successfully. Then I searched solution that to Increase the JVM static heap to 1GB and increase JVM Option Number 0 to -Xms1024m in registry.

Now it can disaplay the page occassionally. But it usually shows "Refreshing"  or "Loading' for very long time. I don't wait it lastly

In addition, when I click Log Off every time. It shows "Logging off" for very long time. Usually, can't wait it and click the "X" to close it directly.

I don't understand why it happen like that with clean installation. I still don't deploy for the clients now. Don't know if the SEPM has internal problem. Please kindly help what should I do now. Thanks much.

• 2.  RE: SEPM can't load monitor / reports occassionally and can't logoff successfully.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 28, 2011 01:32 AM

what is the SEPM version?

Install CGI and check if it improves the IIS perfomance.

• 3.  RE: SEPM can't load monitor / reports occassionally and can't logoff successfully.

Posted Oct 28, 2011 05:16 AM

SEPM Version: 11.0.6300.803 using embedded database.

Installed Fast CGI successfully.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. To install the FastCGI Extension for Internet Information Services 6.0 -- done!
    2. To change the IIS PHP mapping --- done!
    3. To create a FastCGI configuration  ---- done as below.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd inetsrv

C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv>cscript fcgiconfig.js -add -section:"PHP" -extension
    :php -path:"C:\​Program Files\​Symantec\​Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\​P
    HP\​php-cgi.exe"
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\fcgiconfig.js(1223, 5) (null): 0xFFFFFFDF

C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv>cscript fcgiconfig.js -set -section:"PHP" -InstanceM
    axRequests:10000

INI successfully written.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv>
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv>cscript fcgiconfig.js -set -section:"PHP" -Environme
    ntVars:PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS:10000

INI successfully written.

4. To modify the php.ini file  --- done.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I logon SEPM, it displays a windows "Unable to communicate with the reporting component"

In addition, there are warning and error log in windows Event log too.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: W3SVC
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1009
    Date:  10/28/2011
    Time:  4:54:17 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: FS181
    Description:
    A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' terminated unexpectedly. The process id was '3716'. The process exit code was '0xc0000005'.

Event Type: Warning
    Event ID: 1011
    Time:  4:54:22 PM
    Description:
    A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' suffered a fatal communication error with the World Wide Web Publishing Service. The process id was '3412'. The data field contains the error number.

Event Type: Error
    Event ID: 1002
    Time:  4:54:22 PM
    Description:
    Application pool 'DefaultAppPool' is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.

Where's wrong now? Thanks.

• 4.  RE: SEPM can't load monitor / reports occassionally and can't logoff successfully.

Posted Oct 28, 2011 01:15 PM

upload scm-server-0.log & catalina.out from path C;Program Files\symantec\symantec enpoint protection manager\tomcat\logs.

also upload the iss logs from path c:windows\drivers\etc\logfiles\w3svc1\..upload the recent logs.It will be just numbered files.

in IIS console expand symantec website and R.click on reporting and select browse.check what error it shows on the right pane.

check this Microsoft Article:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892988

run IIS diagnostic tool.check this article for how to run it.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919790

• 5.  RE: SEPM can't load monitor / reports occassionally and can't logoff successfully.

Posted Oct 30, 2011 11:07 PM

No matter how I tried by repairing SEPM or IIS. or Installed fast CGI..etc. Problems are still:

a. SEPM > Windows Latest symantec Version -- Always show "Information is currently unavailable"
       but Windows Latest Manager Version can display the "2011-10-26 rev.018" correctly.
    b. SEPM > Can't load  Monitors, Reports Page. Displayed "Loading" only.
    c. SEPM > Logging off. Always shows " Please Wait...Logging off". Usually press "X" button to close it directly.

All these problems are already happened at initially server installed. It's too complicated. I'm considering to re-install whole server once again.

Here were my steps to install current server before.
    1. Format HDD and install Server 2003 Eng 32bit CD1 and CD2
    2. Run windows update
    3. Join server in the domain.
    4 Install SQL 2000 client only for ERP program
    5 Install ERP program and test to run it successfully
    6 Install IIS
    7 Install SEPM
    8 Install SEPC.

I don't know if it's related to the installation procedures. I will try this time.
    1. Format HDD and install Server 2003 Eng 32bit CD1 and CD2
    2. Install IIS
    3. Run windows update
    4. Join domain
    5. Install SEPM
    6. Install SEPC.
    7. Install SQL 2000 client only for ERP program
    8. Install ERP program and test to run it successfully

Any comments? Please advise. Thanks.

• 6.  RE: SEPM can't load monitor / reports occassionally and can't logoff successfully.

Posted Nov 04, 2011 02:16 AM

For the first time installed server w/ Server 2003 32bit, Home page could be mostly viewed properly but not all information.

Now, I've cleaned and re-installed this server with Server 2003 64bit and SEP_11.0.7_MP1 with embedded database but still can't load SEPM Home, Montiors and Reports page properly.

Home page:  can load the title but have no content. Shows "No data, possibly because no Internet access since install time" in Security Response table.
    Monitors and Reports page: Shows "Loading" only

I've tried the following suggested solutions but all can't fix.
    1. odbcad32.exe - using user id: dba and symantec's pwd - test connection successfully - Done!
    2. IIS > Symantec Web Server > Reporting > Browse - can show the logon page successfully - Done!
    3. http://localhost:8014/reporting - can show the logon page successfully - Done!
    4. Repair SEPM - Done!
    5. FastCGI installed - Done!
    6. Increase the JVM static heap to 1GB (set JVM Option Number 0 to -Xms1024m, and set JVM Option Number 1 to -Xmx1024m)- Done!
    7. IIS > application pool > default app pool > Properties > Identity is Network service - Done!
       Gpedit.msc > verify some parameters has Network service - Done!

Windows Event Application log : Appears below info. when  server startup
    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ASA 9.0
    Event ID: 1
    Date:  11/4/2011
    Time:  9:22:38 AM
    Computer: GMFS181
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( ASA 9.0 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: ASANYs_sem5, Starting service ASANYs_sem5.

And also appeared the follow log during server running.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: W3SVC-WP
    Event ID: 2216
    Date:  11/4/2011
    Time:  9:44:03 AM
    Computer: GMFS181
    Description:
    The script started from the URL '/Reporting/Dashboard/ajax.php' with parameters '' has not responded within the configured timeout period.  The HTTP server is terminating the script.

Any suggestions? Please kindly advise. MANY THANKS!!! 

Attachment(s)

txt
    catalina_out.txt   267 B 1 version
    txt
    ex111104_log.txt   392 B 1 version
    txt
    scm-server-0_log.txt   1 KB 1 version

• 7.  RE: SEPM can't load monitor / reports occassionally and can't logoff successfully.

Posted Nov 04, 2011 04:25 AM

May i know the Platform please with the version as well.

• 8.  RE: SEPM can't load monitor / reports occassionally and can't logoff successfully.

Posted Nov 04, 2011 04:50 AM

Hi.  Platform is

DIY hardware: Core2 CPU E6550 2.33G, 4G Ram,  Asus P5KPL-AM motherboard, 250G SATA HDD.
    Software: Server 2003 64bit english and SEP_11.0.7_MP1 using embedded database.

Will it relate to hardware problem? Actually, I re-installed third time for this PC. The problems were same that couldn't display home, monitor and report pages properly.

• 9.  RE: SEPM can't load monitor / reports occassionally and can't logoff successfully.

Posted Nov 04, 2011 05:00 AM

No its not like that but the Operating system and its required patches does matters. 

• 10.  RE: SEPM can't load monitor / reports occassionally and can't logoff successfully.

Posted Nov 04, 2011 05:02 AM

Please try to change the communication settings and check.

To configure push mode or pull mode for a group

1. In the console, click Clients.

2. Under Clients, select the group for which you want to specify whether to push or pull policies.

3. Click the Policies tab.

4. Uncheck Inherit policies and setting from the parent group "group name".
    5. Under Location-independent Policies and Settings pane, under Settings, click Communications Settings.

6. In the Communications Settings for group name dialog box, under Download, verify that Download policies and content from the management server is checked.

7. Do one of the following tasks:

• Click Push mode.

• Click Pull mode and under Heartbeat Interval, set the number of minutes or hours.

8. Click OK.

To specify Push mode or Pull mode for a location

1. In the console, click Clients.

2. Under Clients, select the group for which you want to specify whether to push or pull policies.

3. Click the Policies tab.

4. Uncheck Inherit policies and setting from the parent group "group name".

5. Under Location-specific Policies and Settings, under Location-specific Policies for the location you want to modify, expandLocation-specific Settings.

6. Under Location-specific Settings, to the right of Communications Settings, click Tasks and uncheck Use Group Communications Settings.

7. To the right of Communications Settings, click Local - Push or (Local - Pull).

8. Do one of the following tasks:

• Click Push mode.

• Click Pull mode and under Heartbeat Interval, set the number of minutes or hours.

9. Click OK.

• 11.  RE: SEPM can't load monitor / reports occassionally and can't logoff successfully.

Posted Nov 04, 2011 03:19 PM

the IIS log you uploaded shows 403 14 5 error whcih means

• 403.14 Directory Listing Is Denied: A directory listing of this directory’s content is not configured on the Web server.
  •  
  • Verify whether the Directory Browsing setting, and the Read permission has been enabled on the Home Directory tab for the site.

• 12.  RE: SEPM can't load monitor / reports occassionally and can't logoff successfully.

Posted Nov 05, 2011 01:42 AM

Enabled Directory Browsing setting and Read permission on IIS.

Can view more little info. but still have same main problems.

Anything wrong?

Attachment(s)

txt
    ex111105_log.txt   14 KB 1 version

• 13.  RE: SEPM can't load monitor / reports occassionally and can't logoff successfully.

Posted Nov 06, 2011 11:43 PM

Still not fix the problem.

Tried to access Monitor and Report page. Waiting for "Loading". It displayed "The program cannot display  the webpage" after waiting for 5 minutes.

Attached screen and log. Hope anyone can help. Thanks much.

Attachment(s)

txt
    ex111107_log.txt   13 KB 1 version

• 14.  RE: SEPM can't load monitor / reports occassionally and can't logoff successfully.

Posted Nov 07, 2011 09:59 AM

Try this plz,

A 302 redirect means that the page was temporarily moved,

In Internet Explorer go to Tools - Internet Options - Connections
    Click on LAN settings and check "Bypass proxy server for local addresses and click on Advanced tab and add 127.0.0.1 under the Exceptions tab.
    Restart the SEP Manager service. Login to SEP manager.
    Now you should be able to see the first 3 tabs with the proxy enabled

• 15.  RE: SEPM can't load monitor / reports occassionally and can't logoff successfully.

Posted Nov 07, 2011 10:00 AM

Also what is the version of IE you are using

• 16.  RE: SEPM can't load monitor / reports occassionally and can't logoff successfully.
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 08, 2011 10:09 PM

Problem solved after open appropriate firewall ports for SEPM.