View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEP detects it's own folder

Migration User

Migration UserMay 25, 2009 01:27 PM

• 1.  SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 18, 2009 08:26 PM
    Hi,

We have SEP with MR4 MP1a. Every time it runs a full system scheduled scan, it detects trojans in this folder:
    c:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Symantec/Symantec Endpoint Protection/xfer/

Do we really have to have this and then making an excemption?

• 2.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 18, 2009 11:33 PM
    Please add these on your centralized exceptions, are the files infected in .tmp format?

• 3.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 19, 2009 10:51 AM
    We are running the same version and having the same issue on a handful of machines. We currently have around 1200 systems on our site. The XFER folder is filling up with .TMP files and it causes the disk to run out of space.

As far as I can tell these files are not infected, even though SEPM is saying its a downloader/viral. Please see the attached report from the console. I have noticed that our Quarantine server is full because there is so many TMP files.imagebrowser image

• 4.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 19, 2009 12:51 PM
    @Paul: Yes they are in .tmp

But my question is: Do we really have to go through this process of adding excemptions for itself? Why can't we just have Symantec delete them during migration if they cannot be used or have it cleaned when the user logs off.

• 5.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 20, 2009 02:11 AM
    Hi mon, i dont think it came from migration. Can you doulble check the risk log, because the quarantine folder of SAV is ..../7.5/xfer. Now its on Symantec Endpoint quarantine, can you inspect?

Check this link;

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-constantly-detecting-savce-quarantined-files

You may also want to check this link as well,

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/bloodhound-exploit-193?sym=TRUE

• 6.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 20, 2009 04:34 AM
    1.) If the client computer is running Windows XP, disable "System Restore" as KB: http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2002-101518-4323-99&tabid=3

2.) Restart the computer in Safe Mode

3.) Stop SEP services
    "Symantec Endpoint Protection" from START -> RUN -> services.msc
    "Symantec Management client" with command START -> RUN -> smc -stop

4.) Delete the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\xfer\"
    (in newer installations: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\xfer\")

5.) Delete all files .tmp in folder "c:\windows\temp\"

Important: empty the recycle bin...

6.) Restart SEP services (same as point 3 , except "smc -start")

7.) Run a full-scan

8.) Restart the computer in normal mode and if no new alerts of malware/virus detection are showed, enable "System Restore" as from step "1"

• 7.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 20, 2009 09:45 AM
    I have had the same issue and have tried the solution provided above.  It worked for about 2 weeks and it is popping back up now.  Any other possible solutions so we dont have to go back to the machine as often?

• 8.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 20, 2009 10:11 AM
    Therefore it is the time to open a ticket with the Tech Support,

Cheers,

• 9.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 20, 2009 12:43 PM
    Since this is on the Quarantine folder. I'm thinking of making the retention to between 1 and 3 days.

Do the .tmp files retain the quarantined files as is with no encryption?

• 10.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 20, 2009 12:54 PM
    The .tmp files are not the quarantined files.
    Anyway, try this:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009042217073548

If it resolves your issue, mark the post as the solution.

• 11.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 20, 2009 02:03 PM

@Giuseppe: What does Symantec store in the .tmp files? or the xfer folder?

• 12.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 21, 2009 04:19 AM
    I don't know exactly what SEP stores in the .tmp files but because they are .tmp I guess they are just some halfway files to do something else, likely regarding the scan of big files or the rescan of quarantined files.
    More important: did you try or not the suggested solution?

• 13.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 21, 2009 04:38 AM
    Just a question Giuseppe, if the files are already on quarantine, are they still considered to be a threat or can they still have the capabilities to infect or do its purpose? I guess that's why it is turned to tmp files..(just a guess) but I am confused because these tmp files are still detected by the AV.

For example, an execatable file named, virus.exe was detected and then converted to 10AD2.tmp.. In my experience during my young young days,.. if you rename a file to a diffrent one example .exe to a txt. it will unusable anymore and thus will loose it's capabality to run. (does this make sence sir?)

• 14.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder
    Best Answer

Posted May 21, 2009 05:00 AM
    Hi,
    this is the possible explanation I found in our KB's:
    "The "xfer" and "xfer_temp" folders still store files scanned by AutoProtect transferred from migrations of legacy Symantec AntiVirus (SAV) installations".
    To be honest it seems that for some unexpected circumstances (for example a damaged file) SEP starts a loop where a file goes in quarantine (.vbn archives), then it is extract this file in a .tmp file to rescan it, it is again detected and quarantined, and so on...

• 15.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 21, 2009 04:11 PM
    I didn't try the solution. When I checked the files, they're no longer there. Someone must have already deleted them.

• 16.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 21, 2009 05:15 PM

What KB? Tried searching. :(
    Is this a bug that will be fixed or is it already fixed?

• 17.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 21, 2009 06:59 PM
    I talked about an internal KB. The issue is not still well investigated.

• 18.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 22, 2009 12:08 AM
    @Giuseppe.Axia: we hope we could have the results of the investigation posted soon. thanks.
    re: the official docs with link http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security....
    why do we have to delete the whole quarantine folder? is this to escape the hang time due to multiple files in it?
    thanks.

• 19.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 22, 2009 01:18 PM
    @Giuseppe : keep us posted on that. At least my initial query on why this happens is answered. SEP does not intentionally scan the files and adding to the folder making a loop.

• 20.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 22, 2009 04:00 PM
    We are seeing this now in our environment now for one user.   It detected trojan.malscript 137 times during the administrator scan on the same computer against what I believe was a detection quarantined over a week ago. 

• 21.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 24, 2009 08:27 PM
    Guisseppe, for example we migrated to 14000 workstations from SAV to SEP? I guess our problem is going on the workstations one by one and then doing the procedures you did... (whew!) Or can we just add this to our Centralized Exceptions?

• 22.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 25, 2009 06:24 AM
    this was a bug that has been resolved in mr4mp2 that full used to scan it quarantine folder and detect file as threat in it.

• 23.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 25, 2009 01:07 PM
    Vikram are you sure this is resolved? It does not mention the XFER folder anywhere.

MR2 document states:

Quarantine scan causes Auto-Protect detections in %temp% folder
    Fix ID: 1525749
    Symptom: DWHWizard.exe starts the quarantine scan and moves quarantined files in to the %temp% folder for scanning. Auto Protect will occasionally detect these infected files.
    Solution: After extracting and re-scanning each quarantine item, the TMP file is deleted unless the state is now REPAIRABLE. Repairable files are used later, either to restore to the original location or to save back to Quarantine (REPAIR_ONLY mode). These files should be clean, so Auto-Protect should not detect anything in them.

• 24.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 25, 2009 01:26 PM
    did this problem still perssts ; is there any patch for this?

• 25.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 25, 2009 01:27 PM
    example was really great

• 26.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 25, 2009 01:28 PM
    sorry i am checking quiet late; but this solution provided by you worked for me.

• 27.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted May 25, 2009 01:29 PM
    thanks for the information; but can you please confirm?

• 28.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted Jun 23, 2009 02:37 PM
    this issue has not been resolved and started happening to me today, on a 64 bit installation of SEP MR4 MP2

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/symantec-having-identity-crisis

• 29.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted Jun 24, 2009 10:51 AM
    We have also experienced this and I made a thread about it not too long ago, actually. It seems to clear itself up, but happens generally after a full scan has been run.

• 30.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted Jul 12, 2009 04:20 AM
    imagebrowser imageSir I have the same problem since one week .Please advice me .How to fix it?

Scan type: Scheduled Scan
    Event: Security Risk Found!
    Security risk detected: Trojan Horse
    File: c:\ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\xfer\4a23d302.tmp
    Location: c:\ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\xfer
    Computer: ADMIN
    User: SYSTEM
    Action taken: Delete succeeded
    Date found: Sunday, July 12, 2009 10:27:46 AM

• 31.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted Jul 12, 2009 04:56 AM

@noufal: The answer is the 6th entry of this discussion.

• 32.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted Jul 13, 2009 06:57 AM
    Hi,

I am reading some questions regarding the investigation... to continue it, in order to prevent that it happens again, we need that affected customers open a case with the support.

Regards,

• 33.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted Jul 30, 2009 10:42 AM
    Case # 320-189-116, open since 4/22/09.  Intitial problem was reported on the Symantec forums over a year ago.  My case has been escalated to the engineer level, still no solution.  Have been told it is fixed in each sucessive release, however this is not the case.  It is definitely still an issue in MR4 MP2.

• 34.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted Jul 30, 2009 10:53 AM
    I had already pointed out in an above note with link to a different thread, the exact same symptoms. 
    What I find funnny is the "it has been resolved in MR4 MP2, which was installed on the machine at the time this occurred.

Also noteworthy is a Single machine out of the entire network, one that happens to not have internet connectivity, is the only one to have been affected.

Cleaned out the folder containing the said quarantined files and have heard no complaints or indications from SEP about anything returning to plague the machine.  Seems to have been an isolated incident, which occurred for a few hours, from midnight to about 6 am.  Very odd indeed. 

Thanks nonetheless for the assistance.

• 35.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted Jul 30, 2009 01:37 PM
    thats a good update...
    Looks like we better upgrade to MR4 MP2...

Just curious why the only affected PC was that with out IE connection..
    Hmmm...

• 36.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted Jul 30, 2009 01:49 PM
    Should have been more specific.  Almost no Windows Machine in this environment, other than a handful of servers has internet access.  Even those that do, need to connect through a Proxy/Firewall requiring user / pass to get out to the net.

Of those servers, is the SEPM server and the WSUS server.  Both need to authenticate (manually) to get out.  Part of the twice daily tasks... 

I see way too many administrators struggling constantly to "clean up viruses" and "malware" on production machines to run that risk. 

We had an outbreak here once, about 5 years ago...  Never again.  No external devices connected to the network.  Any materials that do come in on USB / external drive, etc. are scanned on a non-network controlled environment before being allowed access into the network. 

Mail server has a SPAM firewall with 2 AVs sitting at it's border and the mail server itself has SEP installed on it.  Paranoid much?  Yes most definitely. 

We have setup an "intenet cafe" for all employees, they are not connected to the internal network and can browse freely or just about, limiitations on the net.  

We are considering placing an external AP for employees personal laptops as well to have a direct connection to the intenet without worrying about comprimising internal security.  

• 37.  RE: SEP detects it's own folder

Posted Jan 25, 2010 10:40 AM
    We run a Scheduled scan across our entire environement once a month.  Each month we see a handful of systems that show these same symptoms.  These systems were fresh builds, not upgraded\migrated from SAV 10.x.

The only difference is that we are not just seeing 100 or 200 instances per machine, but rather 2000+, which throws our reporting way off.  I have tried to determine if these are actual risks detected, and from what I can tell there is no risk (ran the tmp file through a hex editor, as well as Ollydbg).