Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
  • 1.  Reinstalled agent is not assigned a new GUID

Posted Dec 08, 2008 01:15 AM
    Hello.

I currently have an issue with a PC where the Altiris Agent has been reinstalled.

I uninstalled the agent using "AeXAgentUtil.exe /uninstallagents /clean" and then reinstalling it with the following command:

'AeXNSC.exe -s -a ns="FQDN.for.NS" nsweb="http://NS/Altiris/" NOSTARTMENU /s'

The agent itself is installed, but it's never assigned a GUID / Computer ID so it just "sits there and doing nothing". I can't see the PC in the console.

I've tried to follow the guide below, deleting everything in the registry that has anything to do with the name Altiris, and running "AeXAgentUtil.exe /resetguid" but it's still not working.

Instructions for the complete manual uninstall of the Altiris agent

This is the first time I've had this issue - I've reinstalled many agents without any issues.

I'm using NS6 SP3 R8 and Altiris Agent v6.0.2394.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Reinstalled agent is not assigned a new GUID

Posted Dec 08, 2008 02:25 AM
    It depends on what your collection update and basic inventory interval are. The agent has to "check-in" and be added to the the default collections before it can receive a guid. Also, check the Altiris logs on the client. There is an error where (I can remember the exact wording) where it indicates a guid can't be assigned.

This would indicate one of two things. One, there is a duplicate named (not dup. guid) machine, and you will have to merge the record using the tool under notification infrastructure on the the configuration tab. More likley, the computer record is set to retired (even if that doesn't seem obvious), and it has to be reset to active. This can be done under resources tab _> resources -> defaults -> computer. Find the record, right click and set to active.

• 3.  RE: Reinstalled agent is not assigned a new GUID

Posted Dec 08, 2008 02:59 AM
    Hi Jim.

Thank you for replying.

I just took at quick look at my NS, and I'm quite sure that this problem is server related.

The server has more than 16.000 files in the "EvtQFast" folder and more than 1.600 in the "EvtQueue" folder that is unprocessed!!! There's also 23 ScheduleProcessor.exe processes running.

It seems like the server is stuck at something, so I'll reboot it and maybe clear the event folders manually?

• 4.  RE: Reinstalled agent is not assigned a new GUID

Posted Dec 08, 2008 03:16 AM
    The server has been rebooted and is currently processing the many event, which seems to going OK...

• 5.  RE: Reinstalled agent is not assigned a new GUID
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 08, 2008 07:40 PM
    It was a server issue!

When installing the client today, it's assigned a GUID within a few minutes, and the client can update and receive policies.

I guess the server "choked" on all the request that were building up, so it couldn't handle any more requests.