Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Unable to uninstall Symantec AV using cleanwipe - error 1603

Posted Jun 11, 2010 01:19 PM
    My company is removing the Corporate Symantec AV and I've been using cleanwipe.bat to unistall. This has all been working fine until today when 4 machines failed. They are running an old version - 10.1.4400 from memory. The issue is that the source files on the network no longer exist so the msiexec uninstall fails with error 1603 which means problems with source files location - which makes sense ! I thought, however that using cleanwipe.bat completely blatted the software out regardless. Looking at the cleanwipe log files they appear to be doing an msiexec unistall of this version just like I would anyway - hence the 1603 error So question is how to get round it ? - all I want is to completely remove Symantec and then Liveupdate (which I suspect will uninstall fine) without ending up rebuilding the PCs

• 2.  RE: Unable to uninstall Symantec AV using cleanwipe - error 1603

Posted Jun 11, 2010 01:40 PM
    When CleanWipe fails...
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2002031914291648

(oops, first post had link to SEP. It now links to the SAV equivalent)

• 3.  RE: Unable to uninstall Symantec AV using cleanwipe - error 1603

Posted Jun 11, 2010 01:43 PM
    Iburnell,
    Even without the exact location for the MSI file on the old location, you can still remove the software.
    Problem is, you are using 10.1.4400 where most documentation will point you in the direction of removing 11 nowadays.

Open Registry Editor
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    Find the product code for Symantec 10.1.4400

Msiexec /q /x {Product key as found in the registry} (from RUN or command prompt)

Should get that right out of there for you...

• 4.  RE: Unable to uninstall Symantec AV using cleanwipe - error 1603

Posted Jun 11, 2010 01:44 PM
    Download the latest cleanwipe.
    Do it and be sure that the cleanwipe you are using is the lates version, since the older version are unable to clear the newer versions correctly

• 5.  RE: Unable to uninstall Symantec AV using cleanwipe - error 1603

Posted Jun 11, 2010 03:48 PM
    Thanks for replying

Jason1222 -  that's exactly what I've been trying to do msiexec /x {product code} - but that comes up with the 1603
    Farzad - where can I get the latest cleanwipe ?

• 6.  RE: Unable to uninstall Symantec AV using cleanwipe - error 1603
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 11, 2010 03:53 PM
    Either use RYan Link and Manually remove the entries for SAv from your machine..Beleive me it doesn't take that much time...as it looks from the doc..

To get you need to Cleanwipe call SymantecTechnical Support the latest version is Cleanwipe V5.1 or 5.0