Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Altiris Software Portal

Posted Feb 23, 2017 10:24 AM

Ok so we do pretty much everything via the Altiris Client Agent. If we do not schedule out we check off the User must run option in the policy. This sets the software to a manual install. This works great; however, I have a need to control who can run items.

I know the software portal will work for me, however in CMS 6 there was a limitation!...

From my understanding the Software Portal utilizes task server to deploy the software. I am curious if these limitations still exist today on 7.6HF7.

1. ability to throttle caching of packages
    2. ability to link mulptiple pieces (like how a policy does this - I feel this is a no)
    3. Biggest show stopper - ability to report against the delivery, status, success of package install. 

3 is our biggest as we are required to save all of or SWD Exectution and from my recollection in CMS6 when tasks were complete, they were purged in 2 weeks. We need the ability to stop that purge and keep it, report against it (what able would it be in?) and archive these out.

Thoughts?

• 2.  RE: Altiris Software Portal

Posted Feb 28, 2017 05:42 AM

Hi TeleFragger,

Package caching is not related to software portal. In 7.6 Hf7 is a multiple options how to cache the packages on client machines or on package servers.

In 7.6 HF7 Software portal have an ability to publish Managed Delivery policies with multiple software pieces inside.

In 7.6 HF7 we have ability to disable or setup another schedule/maximum numbers of the rows for Cleanup Task Data Daily task and task instances will not be deleted or will be, but this can cause performance issues.

Regards,
    Dmitri

• 3.  RE: Altiris Software Portal

Posted Feb 28, 2017 08:48 AM

Thanks Dmitri... any links to help on those? especially on what ables house the info that the cleanup task data daily task holds?

• 4.  RE: Altiris Software Portal

Posted Mar 09, 2017 07:25 AM

Hi TeleFragger,

You can read more about Software Managed Delivery publishing by following link: https://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/symantec-software-management-75-troubleshooting-and-best-practices-part-7-software-portal#connect-anchor-link-a06

I have not found any best practices for Task Server. I found some information in symantec help: http://help.symantec.com/cs/ITMS8.0/SMPlat/CleanupTaskData/title?locale=EN_US

From help I see that Cleanup task data remove task instance summaries from the database which are not met to the query parameters from cleanup options.

Regards,

Dmitri