Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  How to move SEPM server to another different server

Posted May 28, 2009 02:23 PM
    Hello,

We need to move the our SEPM server 11MR4 MP1 (11.0.4014.26) to another server, different IP and hostname. The actual server will be then disconnected because is an old hardware. Actual server is Windows 2003 and the new one is Windows 2008.(32bits)

I have found a simple procedure the document titled:

"How do I move Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager from one server to another with a different IP address and host name?" Document ID: 2008031204405448

by using replication, but this document has an issue not acceptable for our needs:
    WARNING: If Replication is used to "move" the SEPM server to another machine and the original SEPM is uninstalled, 
    you will never be able to configure replication with the new SEPM ever again. The original SEPM is like the "Master" 
    server in the replication setup, and if it is uninstalled, the second SEPM has no ability to configure another 
    replication partner.
    I found that a disaster recovery procedure (backup-restore) is possible, but found to issues with it:
    - then one has to reconnect each client communication (seems that requires extra work)
    - our case is not to recovering the server with same hostname neither IP address.

What we need is to move or have another server and, if possible, no distribute and run symlink file on each of our 200 managed workstations.

In our remaining SAV 10 installation we are able to have one "primary" server and many "secondaries" ones, and promoting a "secondary" server to "primary" is just one clic away.

How can we do that now with SEPM 11? Are there a documented procedure? 

Best regards
    Raul

• 2.  RE: How to move SEPM server to another different server

Posted May 28, 2009 02:39 PM
    Raul,

I am not sure if this will work for your situation, but I just went through something similar. I went from a development VM to a production physical box and had to move over 3500 clients. First, I worked with Symantec very closely. I reviewed my environment with them and clearly discussed my needs. What they did in my case was to add second management server, increase the priority for that server so that all of my clients would use the new server. I just had to make sure that all of my groups were assigned that new server. I would be happy to review more details with you if you would like.

• 3.  RE: How to move SEPM server to another different server

Posted May 28, 2009 03:06 PM

Hi unmass_med,

What you tell looks like the procedure described in the Doc ID which I mention. My concernings are about loosing the "master" role of my actual SEPM server.

Have you uninstalled or disconnected your first SEPM (in VM)? and after that, have you configured another server to replicate succesfully with your second server?

Thanks,
    Raul

• 4.  RE: How to move SEPM server to another different server

Posted May 28, 2009 04:00 PM

We did not setup replication at all. I built out the new console, including sql, and then added the new console the existing site. The "old" console is still up and running but it does not have any clients reporting into it.  Feel free to PM me for more info.

• 5.  RE: How to move SEPM server to another different server

Posted May 28, 2009 04:13 PM
    thanks you for your answer. Seems that in your case have no tested the issue of my concerning. Thanks again.

Hope someone else can bring something more on this.

Raul

• 6.  RE: How to move SEPM server to another different server

Posted May 29, 2009 05:05 AM
    This KB will help you. I think this is exactly what you are looking for!

How do I move Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager from one server to another with a different IP address and host name?

service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/9bb60351f8fa6d3f65257409007f5774

Let me know if this helps.

• 7.  RE: How to move SEPM server to another different server

Posted May 29, 2009 12:22 PM
    Hi Abhishek, you are suggesting the same article with I started this very conversation. The problem I found in that article is the warning it has.

If you have further clarification on my question or a way to made "Master" a replicated server, that will be the solution I am looking for.

Thanks. Raul

• 8.  RE: How to move SEPM server to another different server

Posted May 31, 2009 04:24 AM
     The above mentioned article was created by one of my colleagues back there in SEP support.It was a very hit article.
    Then suddenly we got a complain from backline that this after following this article you cannot do replication any more.So a warning was added to the document.
    Yes it is true after following these steps if you remove the 1st Master SEPM.You can no longer user replication as the Second will not act as primary SEPM or other replication partners theat you want to configure.

So what I suggest is to use Sylink Replacer instead of this method.Export you policies and import it back in new SEPM.