Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Safeguard Enterprise and SEP 11 performance issues

Posted Oct 14, 2009 09:28 AM

Hello,

we have Safeguard Enterprise and SEP 11 installed on ~150 clients. Especially when we encrypt the notebooks it lasts about 30 h with SEP activated and about 8h without SEP (service is deactivated). And it's not because of the weak hardware.

The typical notebook has a CORE2 DUO T9400 with 2,53 Ghz with 4 GB RAM.

So does anyone have experience with this constellation ?
    At the moment the only solution we have is deactivating SEP as long it encrypts the hdd.

Another problem maybe related to this is that we have many users with
    "
    {Delayed Write Failed}
    Windows was unable to save all the data for the file x.
    The data has been lost.
    This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.
    "

Greets Stephan

• 2.  RE: Safeguard Enterprise and SEP 11 performance issues

Posted Oct 14, 2009 09:39 AM
    Currently seeing similar on a small number of clients, but not consistently. More evident with non-English OS installs but not exclusively so.

Ensure exception is set %[COMMON_APPDATA]%\Utimaco\SafeGuard Enterprise\LocalCache
    Ensure drivers and firmware are up to date

Still investigating.

• 3.  RE: Safeguard Enterprise and SEP 11 performance issues

Posted Oct 14, 2009 09:50 AM
    Hello dgh,

thanks for your quick answer. I already excluded the LocalCache.
    We think it has something to do that Symantec is locking a file while scanning (for the delayed write failure),

Maybe a Symantec employee has a record about this.

Greets
    Stephan

• 4.  RE: Safeguard Enterprise and SEP 11 performance issues

Posted Oct 22, 2009 09:26 AM
    Namenlos.jpgThe problem came up today with one of our notebooks. So i finally got some event logs.

With Antivirus 10.5 we had no problems like this.

Greets
    Stephan

• 5.  RE: Safeguard Enterprise and SEP 11 performance issues

Posted Oct 22, 2009 09:46 AM
    We see this occasionally on non-English OS installs - mostly German.

I would be grateful if someone from Symantec could comment on the expansion of the SEP Centralized Exception prefix variables such as %[COMMON_DATA]%? I see it in the registry but I do not know how it expands on any particular client. Help gives an example of a typical path but I can see no way to check this on the client. I have run some tests myself and I think I know how it expands on English and German "normal" OS installs (non-partitioned drive, everything on C:), but I don't know what to expect or how to test other configurations. For example, I know one of our facilities has French OS with Documents and Settings on D:, while another has a US English OS install with French as a second locale. How can I demonstrate to others that these exceptions have been correctly applied?

• 6.  RE: Safeguard Enterprise and SEP 11 performance issues

Posted Mar 26, 2010 03:42 PM
    We've recently run into this, now occurring on all our Lenovo Laptops (T61, T400s, X300)... during the encryption process.

If Symantec Endpoint 11 (MR4) is installed, then we install Safeguard Easy or Enterprise, we get tonnes of "Windows Delayed Write Failed" error messages for seemingly random files.  During encryption, there are random things going on on the computer, like some patches, few software installs, inventory.  None of these things are extremely intensive.  In fact, when I watch perfmon, things aren't crazy at all.  Disk queue length is low.

As soon as I take SEP 11 out of the picture, no delayed write failed errors.

We need an answer on this too.  It's not acceptible to leave the computer completely unprotected while safeguard encrypts the drive.

I've opened a support case with Sophos too, to see if they have anything they can pinpoint.