Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  HP EliteDesk 800 G2 DM 35W Boot Issue

Posted Mar 28, 2016 03:57 PM

I’m uber-new to Ghost so please bear with me and pardon any information that I may have neglected to include.  I’m using Symantec Ghost Boot Wizard 11.5.1.226 that we are running from a MS 2003 server. I'm attempting to create an image of an HP EliteDesk 800 G2 DM 35W from a USB boot.  The relevant machine specs are as follows:

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Machine is HP EliteDesk 800 G2 DM 35W

Processor i5

USB 3.0 ports (no P/S 2 ports on the machine – no USB 2.0 – and no way in the BIOS (that I can find) to make the 3.0 devices function as 2.0)

4.0 RAM

Chipset Intel Q170

I tried booting with both UEFI and legacy (no change in the behavior)

Problem is that I can boot into the Ghost interface from a USB thumb drive, but the USB mouse and keyboard won’t function.  Obviously the machine is reading from the USB drive since it is booting, but the USB input devices are not working.  I’ve tried a different mouse and keyboard in case those were issues but have not had any success.

I’m using a boot disk that has worked for the older 800G1 machines that we already have in production.  The only difference is the NIC (which I’ve not attempted yet, since getting the keyboard and mouse to work need to be first priority) and chipset.  The older machines boot fine with USB 3.0 mouse and keyboard and have USB 2.0, 3.0, and P/S 2 inputs.

One of the answers might be to download new USB 3.0 drivers and add to another WinPE but I have read that there are no USB 3.0 drivers for Vista (and so far have had no luck locating any).  I’m not certain this matters? Do I even need this particular driver since the USB mouse and keyboard work fine on the older machines without the additional 3.0 drivers? http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005506.html

Obviously any type of keystroke/mouse click is not possible since the mouse and keyboard aren’t working.

I’m stumped.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: HP EliteDesk 800 G2 DM 35W Boot Issue

Posted Mar 29, 2016 02:57 AM

Older machines may work automatically without USB drivers as there is native support in both WinPE and in the system bios for USB-2 ports, and therefore no additional drivers are required.  For USB-3 ports, there may be some support in the bios but there is none in the older versions of WinPE, so the first step is to check your BIOS settings in case there is some help to be had there.

USB-3 drivers for your machine should be sourced from the vendor of the machine, unless you know which chipset is being used, then you can go to the chipset manufacturer's website and see if you can get them from there.

However, you may find it simpler to follow the instructions in this article: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/creating-and-using-winpe31-image-gss-251  which describes how you can use WinPE 3.x with GSS 2.51 and retain most of the functionality. This version of WinPE uses Windows 7 drivers which you can find for all modern hardware at this point.

In addition, you can load drivers dynamically from the WinPE command line as described in this article: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/do-i-have-correct-driver-winpe

The instructions apply to any version of WinPE; just make sure that you use 32 bit drivers if your WinPE image is 32 bit.  This will quickly identify whether your USB drivers are working or not.

• 3.  RE: HP EliteDesk 800 G2 DM 35W Boot Issue

Posted Mar 29, 2016 07:53 AM

Thank you EdT.  I'm going to give these suggestions a try and let you know how they work.

• 4.  RE: HP EliteDesk 800 G2 DM 35W Boot Issue

Posted Apr 18, 2016 09:51 AM

Because the new Intel Skylake platform (like the HP EliteDesk 800 G2 range) does not have USB2 EHCI support, you need USB3 drivers in your boot image.  You can either add them to an existing WinPE image or create a WinPE5.x which I think has them included natively.

• 5.  RE: HP EliteDesk 800 G2 DM 35W Boot Issue

Posted Apr 19, 2016 07:10 AM

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/hp-elitedesk-800g2-will-not-boot-automation - this recent thread has some working drivers attached to one of the posts.