Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Need to make an unmanaged client into a managed client. This must be done remotely

Posted Apr 29, 2013 10:53 AM
      |   view attached

I asked this earlier, but from what I have seen I have to go on to the PC locally to run SMC - commands which I often can not do. I HAVE to do this over a remote connection. I've tried using the communication update package from SEPM, but I have gotten errors and I could not switch it out. I tested this on my own PC and it said Deployment failed, there was NO explanation as to WHY this failed but it failed.

SEP 12.1.2015 2015

Windows 7 64 Bit Client

• 2.  RE: Need to make an unmanaged client into a managed client. This must be done remotely
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 29, 2013 11:20 AM

I know you've already tried the wizard inbuilt into RU2 as per your other thread and Biran's suggestions, so you may want to try the sylinkdrop tool instead:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO81179 #EDIT# Whoops wrong link #EDIT#

I've always preferred this option as I've generally found it more reliable.  To run it on a remote machine however, I normally end up scripting it and pushing that script out either using GPOs or Altiris.  A common script I use is something like:

If not exist %temp%\newsylinkfile.xml (
    Xcopy \\<NetworkLocation>\newsylinkfile.xml %temp%
     “%programfiles%\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\<ClientVersionNumber>\Bin\ SylinkDrop.exe” –silent %temp%\newsylinkfile.xml)

The newsylinkfile.xml should be replaced with the name of the file exported from the new SEPM environment.
    The <NetworkLocation> is a share (accessible to SEP clients) hosting the newsylinkfile.xml file.  Read permissions are required to this share and file.
    The <ClientVersionNumer> is assumed to be “12.1.2015.2015”, in your case.
    The script will require changes if running against a 64-bit machine, replacing %programfiles% with %programfiles(x86)%”.  The differentiation between processor architecture can be included in the script with additional “If” statements, or accommodated via WMI (for GPO distribution)

#EDIT2#

You could also do this with psexec if it's a one-off, but I've not tried it myself

• 3.  RE: Need to make an unmanaged client into a managed client. This must be done remotely

Posted Apr 29, 2013 02:04 PM

Try  with sylinkreplacer utility.But ensure that tamper protection is disabled on systems.