Client Management Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

job conditions for CMS 7.1

• 1.  job conditions for CMS 7.1

Posted Jun 07, 2011 10:59 AM

Hi. We are using CMS 7.1 sp1 and I want to create a job to deliver software which will only run on 64 bit machines.

I created the packages and put the 64 bit applicability rule, but that only works on managed software delivery.

I want to be able to have our helpdesk deliver the software when required so a managed software policy is not really any use as it is in response to user requests so a job or task is ideal. In the job I only seem to be able to make conditions based on the return codes of the distribution and not be able to add standard conditions such as OS type.

How do i make sure the software only runs on a 64 bit machine as you used to in DS 6.9 conditions?

thanks

• 2.  RE: job conditions for CMS 7.1

Posted Jun 07, 2011 11:07 AM

Drag the Computer to the Software Release?

• 3.  RE: job conditions for CMS 7.1

Posted Jun 07, 2011 11:21 AM

i realise there are a few ways to do it e.g. by filters or by manually checking the machine and dragging and dropping but would like to build some intelligence into the job.

If a user rang up and said they wanted the software i would like our helpdesk to drag the software and it only install if it is the right OS or if there is enough ram/disk space.

this was simple to do in DS 6.9 using conditions. The conditions seem to be there in 7.1 but only work on return codes which is a bit poor.

I suppose i could use a vbscript and then do something on the return code, but that is a bit harder than using the built in ones from 6.9 

If the conditions did work then i could just have 1 job that will install the correct software version for 32 or 64 bit

• 4.  RE: job conditions for CMS 7.1

Posted Jun 07, 2011 11:33 AM

Sorry, I said SW Release.  If you drag to the "Managed Software" item, you can deliver the SW via task utilize the policy to keep the SW installed, or just deliver via task... either way, it should honor the applicability rules.

• 5.  RE: job conditions for CMS 7.1

Posted Jun 07, 2011 11:43 AM

if i drag the software and install it it gives mne the option you said but if I choose run as a task it still runs even though it should not (applicability rule is 64 bit platform and it is XP 32 bit).

This does work using the policy but not when using the task.

Thanks

• 6.  RE: job conditions for CMS 7.1

Posted Jun 08, 2011 07:36 PM

Correct, the advanced features are only present in a Managed Software Delivery.  If you would like to restrict a task based on architecture, you should create a script which uses conditions.

• 7.  RE: job conditions for CMS 7.1
    Best Answer

Broadcom Partner
    Posted Jun 09, 2011 04:20 AM
      |   view attached

Take a look at the File Attached

Did that solve your question?

Hope this helps!

Network23

Attachment(s)

• 8.  RE: job conditions for CMS 7.1

Broadcom Partner
    Posted Jun 09, 2011 04:28 AM

If you are running 7.1 SP1 you could use the new introduced Emergency Software Delivery Policy which sould act similar like a Task. Take a look at the following link:http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3918 at Page 118

Be careful when using Emergency Software Delivery Policy

Network23

• 9.  RE: job conditions for CMS 7.1

Posted Jun 09, 2011 10:55 AM

thanks. I will look at the scripting option in that doc and test it tomorrow. Shame its not as simple as in 6.9 but it looks like it could work.

will test and update.

thanks for your help

• 10.  RE: job conditions for CMS 7.1

Posted Jun 13, 2011 05:10 AM

Hi, thanks for the doc,

i tried the script and managed to get it to work. Only problem is the job always fails due to the return code in the script even if the job runs successfully.

the script works e.g. i get failure return code 64 for a 64 bit machine so it will then run the 64 bit install.

however the job shows that it failed which will confuse the helpdesk guys when they run it. I can't find a return code option to add (like in DS6.9) to say that return code 64 is successful.

any other ideas?

thanks

• 11.  RE: job conditions for CMS 7.1

Posted Jun 13, 2011 10:36 AM

Uncheck 'Fail Job if any Task fails' and be sure you don't end with that script.  Provided it pushes through to a 32-bit or a 64-bit install task which returns a success code, it will show as successful.

• 12.  RE: job conditions for CMS 7.1

Posted Jun 14, 2011 03:54 AM

Thanks for all the help.

its not an ideal solution but your suggestions have helped me get a workaround.

hopefully Altiris will soon enable the use of the detection and applicability rules to work with tasks or enable proper conditions on tasks to make this simpler.

Thanks again