Expand all | Collapse all

unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Rafeeq

RafeeqApr 01, 2010 08:55 AM

Migration User

Migration UserApr 05, 2010 03:07 PM

• 1.  unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Mar 30, 2010 12:37 PM
    Hello I have SEPM installed on an XP machine. The version of SEPM is 11.0.5002.333. I have continual errors, the first one as I log in is "Unable to communicate with the reporting component.". Then once in I get "unexpected error" in the windows home, monitor and report. I downloaded the SEP support tool and these are the errors, but I do not know how to fix these: Under Is Microsoft IIS configured? : Error SEPM Virtual Directories with incorrect permissions: Location Expected Actual /LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT None Scripts only Error SEPM Virtual Directories with incorrect paths: Location Path /LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT c:\inetpub\wwwroot Under can SEP communicate with SEPM? : Status Error Tests Error The Secars communication test failed for these consoles:Site Port Http Code Error 10.0.164.102 80 403 10.0.164.102 80 403 SHAAVMANAGER 80 403 Thank you for the help Tony

• 2.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Mar 30, 2010 12:40 PM
    its because of concurrent connections of xp
    open IIS
    right cick on default smtp server ( you can have only one site)
    make the connections to 40
    restart sepm services; log in now should work
    you have clients already installed
    make the heart beat interval to higher value
    open sepm
    click on clients
    polices
    click on communications
    make the heart beat to 30 mins 

if above method fails fix the odbc as per this document

Unable to communicate with the reporting component after logging into the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008042212582048

• 3.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Mar 30, 2010 01:21 PM
    Do you  get any error in the event viewer fpr ASA 9.0

• 4.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Mar 31, 2010 03:33 PM

I have followed through with the above suggestions from Rafeeq. I completed all of those and still getting the same message. I went to the link provided to fix the odbc. That has not worked either. The only step that I did not do is check the version of php, because in my case this is a clean install of XP Pro, with nothing else on the pc. I have also formatted twice and reloaded SEPM twice. I still get the unable to communicate with reporting as well as "unexpected error" being displayed on the pages.
    I have checked the event viewer and I do see messages for ASA 9.0, but they are informational messages saying that I have started it, I do not see any errors.

• 5.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Mar 31, 2010 03:42 PM
    i think the problem is in the odbc as you said "That has not worked either" whats the error msg you get ?
    here is the step to fix odbc.
    start -run
    odbccp32.cpl
    click on system dsn
    click configure
    click on log in
    id is : dba
    pass: your sepm password
    click on datbase ; put your server name
    click network ; check tcp/ip 
    IP=127.0.0.1:2638
    test the connection if you are running on 64 bit you need to follow this doc 
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008021900094548

• 6.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Mar 31, 2010 04:19 PM
    Hi Rafeeq
    What I meant to say when "this does not work either", is that I get the same message when starting SEPM. "unable to communicate with reporting component". Then I get "unexpected error" as described above. I have tried those steps you mentioned previously probably 3 or 4 times, I just tried it again and it does not fix the problem. When I test the ODBC connection, it says test successful. 

Note, this is on a 32 bit XP Pro system, freshly formatted and SEPM and OS is the only thing installed on the machine.  

• 7.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Mar 31, 2010 04:25 PM
    uninstall IIS
    reinstall IIs
    do a  repair of sepm from add / remove programs
    try loggin in again.

• 8.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Mar 31, 2010 04:27 PM
    Hi Rafeeq
    I will give that a go, and I will update you when I get it completed. Thanks for helping. Tony

• 9.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 01, 2010 08:51 AM
    Hi Rafeeq
    I uninstalled IIS, then rebooted, reinstalled IIS.
    I then ran a repair of SEPM and rebooted.
    So far, so GOOD. I am not getting any errors. I will keep this running for a few days and monitor, then let you know if all is ok.
    Thank you for the help
    Tony

• 10.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 01, 2010 08:55 AM
    Great! thats a good news :) 

• 11.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 01, 2010 01:49 PM

Well, maybe I spoke too soon.
    It was working fine this morning after I completed everything and I could see all reports and pages fine. Then I looked over at it a while ago and it is displaying "unexpected error" again on the home page. I think when it refreshed it messed it up again. I tried again to remove/reinstall IIS, then do a repair on SEPM. It worked again for about 30 minutes then began displaying "unexpected error".
    Is there anything else I can try?
    Thank you
    Tony

• 12.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 01, 2010 03:18 PM
    I ran the support tool and I have the following errors:
    Under Is Microsoft IIS correctly configured?:
    Error SEPM Virtual Directories with incorrect permissions:
    Location Expected Actual
    /LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT None Scripts only
    Error SEPM Virtual Directories with incorrect paths:
    Location Path
    /LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT c:\inetpub\wwwroot

Under is SEPM using it's configured ports?:
    Status Error
    Tests
    Error No SepM IIS virtual directories exist which are properly located in the directory C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Inetpub\. Check the report "Is Microsoft IIS correctly configured for Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager?"

• 13.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 01, 2010 03:40 PM
    Can you verify if the directories actually exist in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Inetpub\?

You should have ClientPackages, content, Reporting, secars, secreg, and a web.config file.

• 14.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 01, 2010 04:06 PM
    I see all the folders there in that directory, but I do not see a web.config file anywhere...
    Thanks

• 15.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 01, 2010 04:15 PM
    And just FYI, now it says unable to communicate with the reporting component again. Rebooted a couple of times and still same message. :(

• 16.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 01, 2010 05:39 PM
    Are there any other websites hosted in IIS?  If not, let's clean slate and start over.  Make sure you have console access to the server (if you're using RDP, verify what session you're in with running 'set' from a command prompt. If you're not in SESSIONNAME = Console or TCP#0, you don't have console access.) 

Uninstall SEPM & IIS, reinstall IIS, reinstall SEPM.  If we get the same errors/behavior, there's something environmental going on, possibly a restrictive GPO.  We'll take it one step at a time...

• 17.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 01, 2010 09:24 PM
    Can you tell me how many clients you have connecting to the SEPM?

• 18.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 02, 2010 07:48 AM
    Tbone and Kavin,
    Thanks for the replies. I have about 300 clients, but only about 90 of them set up so far. I want to note that when I first set this up with just  my pc as a client for testing, it worked perfect, I never did see any of the errors. I would say after I added about 10 clients to it when it started happening.
    I do not have any other sites hosted on IIS, this is a bare xp pro machine with nothing but SEPM and vnc viewer on it. I went ahead and uninstalled vnc viewer just to be sure this time. I have used RDP but for now the machine is at my desk and I am not using RDP to log into it.
    I will go ahead and start over, uninstall SEPM and IIS, Then install IIS and SEPM. I will post back when I get this done.
    Thanks again
    Tony

• 19.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 02, 2010 07:53 AM
    it may be because of concurrent connection limitation in XP
    open sepm
    clients 
    policies
    communication settings. make the heartbeat to 40 mins
    check if that works.

• 20.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 02, 2010 09:50 AM
    Adding to Rafeeq's comment,

While you can install SEPM on an XP machine there are several reason - unless you have no other choice - why you shouldn't.

- SEPM system requirements vs. XP desktop resources
    Min RAM requirement for SEPM is 1GB, recommended is 2.  This is dedicated RAM for SEPM, not total system RAM.  There's a lot going on in the background w/SEPM, sharing resources on an already busy XP machine will most likely be an exercise in frustration.

- Desktop hardware vs. Server hardware
    While SEPM may not be as mission critical as Exchange or SQL for your environment, it is managing a portion of your security infrastructure, and really needs to be on the most reliable platform possible.

- XP vs Server 2003/2008
    XP is has been our friend for going on 9 years now.  While no roadmap has been given, you know Microsoft is going to start down the road of retiring XP at some point.  So from a pay me now, pay me later perspective, you're investing time now that will have to be duplicated if/when you have to move SEPM to a newer OS.

• 21.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 02, 2010 11:20 AM

Hi Rafeeq and Tbone
    I am currently formatting the machine again and starting al over. I tried several times to uninstall SEPM and it kept giving all kinds of errors, so I thought it would be best to start with a clean plate. I will install only the OS, IIS and SEPM and report back.
    I will also check those settings Rafeeq when I get it installed. I think I tried this earlier on the last install and we still had issues, same error messages. I will give it another try though.
    This XP machine is XP Pro SP3, with 2 gigs memory. I do understand that 2003 Server would be a better platform. We do have a 2003 server here but I do not have access to it and I have already asked our HIS vendor if I could put SEPM on it, they will not let me. That is why I chose a new XP Pro machine for now. I would say in the future it will be different when we upgrade to server 2008, but I only have the option of using XP Pro for now.
    I will report back when I get the machine formatted, and add IIS then SEPM only.
    Thanks again

• 22.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 02, 2010 12:02 PM
    Ok I am done and I have XP Pro SP3 installed. I installed all options of IIS. I then installed SEPM. I have not installed SEP on this pc yet, I thought I would wait until we try this out.
    Thanks

• 23.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 02, 2010 12:22 PM

Another biggie is that XP's EULA limits the number of concurrent network connections to 10.  It is recommended to use Pull rather than Push for the client communication mode otherwise clients may be denied connection to the SEPM.

FYI, this document says SEPM on XP is supported for up to 100 clients.

Title: 'Best practices guide for installing the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) on a Windows XP operating system.'
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009010714075548

sandra

• 24.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 02, 2010 01:35 PM
    BAH! Ok, well it did the errors again. I am finding that if I have about 5 clients added, it works fine. I have now a total of 10 clients added. The software went to the login screen after a timeout, then I logged back in. The home page now displays "unexpected error", also the same for monitors and reports tab.
    I also set my heartbeat to 40 mins on clients as per the above suggestion.
    I looked at the guide that sandra.g provided, and added the port to the firewall for SEPM. I have also tried disabling the firewall, still I get the same message.
    I have nothing but SEPM installed. Not even SEP on this pc.
    Thanks

• 25.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 02, 2010 05:41 PM
    You didn't specifically mention changing the communication mode from Push to Pull, which is in the guide I linked.  Push tries to maintain persistent network connections with the clients and so uses roughly double that of Pull.  Since this is apparently sporadic, I lean towards network connection resources, since the internal connections between console and manager itself are amongst those 10 available.

If you're intending on rolling out to 300 clients when all is said and done, an XP SEPM is probably not going to be sufficient, and it is not supported.

In your very first post, it's showing an HTTP 403, which means Forbidden.  Is this still occurring?  One other thought--double check that the in the Reporting component (for the Symantec Web Server in IIS) > Virtual Directory > Execute Permissions is set to "Scripts and Executables".  If it isn't, that could be the cause of the 403 error.

sandra

• 26.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 03, 2010 01:26 AM
    The SEPM- Console uses 3 connections when open.This should be your problem.So do as follows
    Keep the Heart Beat intervals to 1 hour and randomize it for 5 Minute .Also keep it in pull mode (Clients----> < The group which the clients reside>---->Policies (Right side)--- >Communication Settings)

• 27.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 04, 2010 02:58 PM
    Sandra is exactly right with this. Please try her guide specficically setting the download radio button to pull mode at 60 minute intervals. I would also recommend not using the windows firewall at all (at least while we are still troubleshooting). In reality though this is going to be a headache with 300 clients until you can get upgraded to a Server operating system. I have heard of people running 100 clients from a XP pro system, and even then having the same connection problems, so again I would suggest trying to get a Server edition if there is anything you can do about it. 

Cheers
    Grant

• 28.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 05, 2010 11:10 AM
    Sandra Grant and AravindKM
    I have changed this now to pull mode and the errors went away for now. I have also set heartbeat to 1 hour and random to 5 minutes. I am going to see if they will purchase a server for this application since this is not really a good environment to run it on. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

• 29.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 05, 2010 11:16 AM
    great ! the hearbeat interval fixed the issue; i should have mentioned a higher value :) ; nice info from Sandra :) 

• 30.  RE: unexpected error and unable to communicate with reporting component

Posted Apr 05, 2010 03:07 PM

You're welcome!

sandra