Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
  • 1.  Setting up a test server

Posted Mar 12, 2013 06:23 AM

Hi Guys and Girls

I need to setup a test Symantec Notification server so that I can test future upgrades of the product. I had an issue once when I upgraded from 7.1 to 7.1 SP2 and it did not go down to well.

So I can setup a test server. However the issue there is we dont have a test domain.

Can I setup the test server and link it with the production domain that the already installed still be able to test the functionality of things once the newer version is upgraded?

I can get a test Database without any issues. It is the domain that I am worried about.

I will need to test obviously, deployment of packages and patches, AD import tasks and things like that.

I have a feeling that it would need to be done using a test domain, thought I would ask first.

Regards
    Jason

• 2.  RE: Setting up a test server

Posted Mar 12, 2013 08:30 AM

You don't need a test domain unless you rely heavily and want to test domain discovery and agent push installs.

A seperate Domain Service Account would be a good idea and make sure your push installs are turned off.

• 3.  RE: Setting up a test server

Posted Mar 12, 2013 09:24 PM

Thanks for that info, would it be best though to create a test domain and do it in that environment?

• 4.  RE: Setting up a test server

Posted Mar 13, 2013 07:25 AM

It's always difficult to set up a test environment that accurately reproduces your live one.

• 5.  RE: Setting up a test server

Posted Mar 21, 2013 08:18 AM

Hi Andy

The company has decided to go down the path of having a seperate domain for testing. So I will need to set this up.

My question now is. Licensing. How will this work? How would you suggest I do this?

I will need the Altiris licenses plus just 1 or 2 client licenses one for Win XP and one for a Win 7 machine.

I cannot leverage off our current licenses can I? We have some spare client licenses I could use.

How do others go about this?

Is there best practice in setting up a test server?

Thanks again for the help everyone.

• 6.  RE: Setting up a test server

Posted Mar 21, 2013 09:16 AM

I suspect most people just use the same licenses in test as in live. For Microsoft you are supposed to have a Technet or MSDN licence for test environments.

• 7.  RE: Setting up a test server

Posted Apr 02, 2013 10:38 PM
    Hi All So I have spoken to Symantec, they have advised I can just use the trial version of the software. Do you think this is a good idea? Regards Jason

• 8.  RE: Setting up a test server

Posted Apr 04, 2013 05:08 PM

Hi Jason,

Altiris license doesn't limit how many Notification Servers you may have. The count is based in how many nodes you can manage. Most people are using the same licenses in the lab environment taking care to not exceed the total managed node count.

Regards,