Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Best way to install SNAC

Posted Jun 01, 2010 02:29 PM

I have SEPM 11.0.6a installed. I just downloaded SNAC for testing purposes.

How do I install or what's the best way? The SNAC download looks pretty much the same as when I installed SEPM. Do I run the setup.exe in the SEPM folder?

• 2.  RE: Best way to install SNAC

• 3.  RE: Best way to install SNAC

Posted Jun 01, 2010 03:08 PM

Steps to install SNAC
    1. Insert the Symantec Network Access Control CD or open the downloaded CD folder
    2. Click the setup.exe file and this will open the Installation Panel
    3. In the installation panel, click Install Symantec Network Access Control.
    4. Click Install Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
    5. On the Management Server Upgrade dialog, click Next.
    6. Click Continue.
    7. When the Server Upgrade Status log shows Upgrade Succeeded, click Next.
    8. Click Finish.
    9. Log on to the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console.
    10. On the Policies tab, click Host Integrity.
    11. In the right pane, click Host Integrity Policy.
    12. Under Tasks, click Assign the Policy.
    13. In the Assign Host Integrity Policy window, check the group to which you want to assign the policy.
    14. Click Assign, and then click Yes to confirm the change.

• 4.  RE: Best way to install SNAC

Posted Jun 01, 2010 03:30 PM
    To clarify what you're testing, the SNAC software components you'll be installing are very limited in their functionality without a NAC appliance in the network.  All SNAC will do without a NAC appliance is report out of date virus def's, and if filesystem autoprotect is turned off.  There is no self-quarantine, or non-compliance actions that will take place without a NAC appliance to define what those actions are, or to interpret the SNAC broadcasts to perform remediation.

• 5.  RE: Best way to install SNAC

Posted Jun 01, 2010 03:36 PM

Does the SEPM service need to be stopped first?

• 6.  RE: Best way to install SNAC

Posted Jun 01, 2010 03:40 PM

Thanks Tbone

I guess it didn't make sense for me to install it then without the NAC appliance

• 7.  RE: Best way to install SNAC

• 8.  RE: Best way to install SNAC

Posted Jun 01, 2010 06:49 PM

There are 2 good answers for everyone. Thank you.

Best Regards.
    Fatih

• 9.  RE: Best way to install SNAC
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 31, 2010 12:30 PM
    Please do not just copy the SNAC.xml file as shown in the first link.  This will not fully install the SNAC component.  

Please run the setup.exe from the root of the SNAC add-on CD.

• 10.  RE: Best way to install SNAC

Posted Aug 31, 2010 02:39 PM
    Actually, with the SNAC add-on, you do get the ability to self-quarantine using a quarantine firewall policy, where you can restrict the client machine to only communicate with a remediation server, for example.

It also has the capability to run custom scripts, change, add and delete registry keys, check for files on the machine, look for running processes, and a whole bunch of other features like ensuring the client is using WSUS or Windows update, has specific password policies, and a myriad of other features too long to list here.

It is true that the Enforcer Appliance, especially the LAN Enforcer, will provide a higher level of security.  But the features that are included with SNAC can help you manage your endpoints as well as offer security.