Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Move Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console to new server

Posted Mar 02, 2010 09:48 PM
    Hi

We have a single domain site with one Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console (ver 11.0.4202.75).
    We plan on replacing the server with new hardware soon and will be migrating its functions to the new server.

Does anyone have any links to documentation on how to do this as seamlessly as possible?
    All the migration docs I have unearthed tend to relate on how to migrate to SEP and not how to move an existing manager console to a new server.

many thanks!

EDIT: Ok I found a link here in forums but it is almost 2 years old so any confirmation would be great. cheers.
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/move-sepm-console-one-server-another

• 2.  RE: Move Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console to new server

• 3.  RE: Move Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console to new server

Posted Mar 02, 2010 10:38 PM
    A bit more information can help us get you the best advice.

Can you use the same IP address on the new server?  Are you planning on upgrading the server OS or keeping the same OS?

• 4.  RE: Move Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console to new server

Posted Mar 03, 2010 12:09 AM
    Are you able to use the same IP address ,Host Name and same version of SEPM for the new server?
    If yes take a backup of old sever according to below doc and restore in new server and do a reconfiguration.
     Best Practices for Disaster Recovery with Symantec Endpoint Protection

• 5.  RE: Move Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console to new server

Posted Apr 20, 2010 09:37 PM
    I followed the Symantec document referred to by Grant_Hall (above) - the first of his two references, which is:

Document ID: 2008031204405448

I would make one addition/notation to that document:

In steps 11 - 13, when editing the management server lists, under each priority, be sure to include the server TWICE - once by name, once by IP address.
    I only included the IP address.

My clients are version 11.0.5002, and the behaviour was inconsistent - some migrated, some stayed with the old management server, and some just become "lost" and "off line".

Cheers

• 6.  RE: Move Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console to new server

Posted Jul 08, 2010 02:15 PM
    Hi snekul,

I have the same situation, I need to upgrade from server 2008 32 bit, to server 2008 64 bit. In my organization I am not allow to upgrade an existing OS, I need to build a new server and move SEP to it. Any advice in how to accomplish this task will be greatly appreciated.
    Ray