Migration User

Migration UserSep 13, 2010 12:17 PM

Migration User

Migration UserSep 20, 2010 10:57 AM

Migration User

Migration UserSep 20, 2010 03:48 PM

• 1.  SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 13, 2010 11:01 AM

I am currently running into an issue with SEPM that shows client PCs that are supposed to be managed but show up when I do a scan for unmanaged PCs. I have reinstalled the client and that doesn't seem to do the trick.

Also to note is that when I go to the PCs and try to import communcation settings it says that you can't do that to a managed pc. Communication seems to be intact with the SEPM server. I'm lost at this point and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 13, 2010 11:09 AM

Scan for unmanaged computers is not all that accurate. It would show the ip address , and names  of  different  computers. For example, it would show the  following as unmanaged computer:

symantecpc( 192.168.1.23), but then the  ip address and the  computer name would be of different  computers.

In your  case, please  verify the computer  name , and the  ip address also.

• 3.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 13, 2010 11:09 AM

Hello,

When you check the client can you see green dot on right side? or you can open sep client click help and support > troubleshooting > can you see your server name or ip adress near Server ?

Best Regards.

Fatih

• 4.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 13, 2010 11:12 AM

if you see offline there please use sylinkdrop.exe in cd2 tools. and update xml file.

if any problem we are here ;)

Best Regards.

Fatih

• 5.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 13, 2010 11:36 AM

delete the client from the sepm

do a update policy on the client

• 6.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 13, 2010 11:40 AM

The client PCs are showing green and are showing as updated.

if I go into endpoint client and select Help and Support>Troubleshooting under management it shows the following information

Server: <server_name>

Group: My Company/Correct End_User Group

Location Awareness: Enabled

Security Policy Compliance: Disabled

SNAC Status: Not Licensed

In response to the find unmanaged computers I verified the pc name had the correct IP on 3 of the 12 unmanaged PCs that are showing.

• 7.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 13, 2010 11:48 AM

As I said, it  is not always accurate...!

• 8.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 13, 2010 11:54 AM

I wrote another post about this situation, This is not easy but good method :)

Export all clients in log tabs. Than use find unmanaged computers and copy result and paste excel. Than use vlookup formule and compare results ;)

Best Regards.

Fatih

• 9.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 13, 2010 12:17 PM

You  could use  find unmanaged detector instead....

• 10.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 13, 2010 03:18 PM

SEP seems to have problems determining if systems with multiple NICs are protected or not.  Or that's what it seems like in our environment.  I have been working with support on this for a while unfortunately it doesn't seem like a big enough issue to them to actually get this fixed.  I ended up turning off all of my unmanaged detectors and giving up on using this feature for the time being.  Maybe if they fix it I'll try to use it again.

• 11.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 13, 2010 04:03 PM

I guess I didn't make that very clear, my bad. I only checked 3 of the 12 because I'm sure the ip's match the names on the find unmaged computers. Not only 3 were correct, didn't check all 12.

Could you get me a link to that post Fatih? I'm pretty unfamiliar with SEPM as I just took this over for our company. Thanks!

• 12.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

• 13.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 14, 2010 01:18 AM

Is Windows Firewall turned ON in  your  server?  If so, add an exception for port 8014 TCP.  .  Clients can't request policies, etc., unless you allow port 8014 on your Windows Server.

• 14.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 14, 2010 01:38 AM

Reboot your client PC ,wait for 5-10 min.Then try...

• 15.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 16, 2010 10:49 AM

Ok, none of those solutions did anything.

Also tried reinstalling SEPM and it didnt change anything. Could this possibly be a licensing issue? We are licensed for 50 users but only 44 are showing as managed, roughly 6(could be a couple more) are showing as "unmanaged"

• 16.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 16, 2010 11:01 AM

license has nothing to do anything in this case.

6 unmanaged computers; are these win7? do they have UAC enabled on them?

is sep installed on diffrent driver other than default location?

• 17.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 16, 2010 11:07 AM

For instance could a 5 user license only cover a certain number of managed PCs?

• 18.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 16, 2010 11:12 AM

you can install the same package to 1000 machiens; sepm wont complain about license.Symantec trusts us so lets be fair.

we need to check what is diff between these 6 machines showing as unmanaged...

whats the OS on thse machines; win7?

• 19.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 16, 2010 11:53 AM

Ok, apparently my quick count was off. It is 14 with 11 Windows 7 and 3 Windows XP. Most of them seem to be PC's that have recently been setup, however some have been in use for quite some time.

Also worth noting is that I just imaged a test machine and that showed as managed immediately, it seems to be whichever machine was last touched shows up in the client console.

Also as of recently, 20 machines or so we began using an image that is installed via a flash drive. I thought this may have been it, however a number of the PCs that are showing as unmanaged were not setup using that image and a few that always show as managed were.

• 20.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 20, 2010 10:57 AM

Bump, anyone have any other ideas on this?

• 21.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 20, 2010 11:10 AM

Hi,

I send you PM and wanted pictures. can you share pictures with us?

• 22.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 20, 2010 11:23 AM

Due to company policies I will not be able to share any screen shots.

• 23.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 20, 2010 12:10 PM

ok, I understand. did you want tecnical support from your sales?

Best Regards.

Fatih 

• 24.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 20, 2010 12:26 PM

Yea that is a possibility, I will likely contact them today.

• 25.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 20, 2010 03:48 PM

Anyone know where I can find that number?

• 26.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 21, 2010 02:41 AM

I think the route cause of the issue is you are used images with SEP which is not properly configured for imaging/re-imaging your systems.Now remove the files and reg keys as per below KB and restart it.It should be OK

Configuring Symantec Endpoint Protection client for deployment as part of a drive image

• 27.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

• 28.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 21, 2010 11:13 AM

AravindKM is the winner, started removing the HardwareIDs and they magically started re-appearing in the client console. Such a simple quick fix that took WAY to long to figure out. Thanks again.

• 29.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Sep 22, 2010 12:31 AM

Happy to here your problem got solved.

Your these words made me to think in that direction"it seems to be whichever machine was last touched shows up in the client console."

• 30.  RE: SEPM showing managed PCs as unmanaged

Posted Oct 14, 2010 02:29 PM

... we cannot delete any clients out of the SEPM console.  They just won't delete.  Any options/ideas?  Our AD is sync'd with the SEPM console every 24 hours.