Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Removing Liveupdate adminstrator

Posted Sep 23, 2008 11:27 AM

I am having an issue where i can not reinstall liveupdate adminstrator.  i recieve an error stating that a previous version is installed.  i have searched and cleaned the registry and i am still unable to reload.

• 2.  RE: Removing Liveupdate adminstrator

Posted Sep 29, 2008 12:51 AM

Here are some steps where you can cleanup LUA manually

1. Stop LUA services (from command prompt. You can use the Services window as well):
    net stop "LUA Apache Tomcat"
    net stop "LUA PostgreSQL"

2. Delete the LUA services:
    <lua_install_path>\tomcat\bin\service remove
    <lua_install_path>\pgsql\bin\pg_ctl unregister -N "LUA PostgreSQL" -D "<lua_install_path>\pgsql\data"
    -where <lua_install_path> is the path where LUA is installed. Run the above from a command prompt

3. Delete the LUA folder:
    Manually go and delete the folders of LUA from Windows Explorer

4. Delete the LUA registry keys:
    Delete the key and its sub keys: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\LiveUpdate Administrator

5. Use the Windows Installer cleanup to remove LUA from the Add/Remove program.
    Download the utility from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
    Upon executing the utility, it lists the Symantec LiveUpdate Administrator as one of the products installed. Click on that and select remove.

Note that, if any of the above steps cannot be done, just ignore it. For example, if you don't find the LUA folders or registry keys, or the services have been removed already, then just continue with the next step. But do that in an order. The 5th step is the one that is important and you should be able to execute it fine if LUA is indeed installed and giving problems during uninstallation.

Let us know how it goes...

• 3.  RE: Removing Liveupdate adminstrator

Posted Sep 29, 2008 12:21 PM

We also have a manual uninstall document available for version 2.1: 

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008092907564448