Expand all | Collapse all

SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Migration User

Migration UserJan 04, 2010 11:54 AM

Migration User

Migration UserJan 04, 2010 11:55 AM

• 1.  SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Oct 08, 2009 04:35 PM

Our SAV for Macintosh KB document regarding Snow Leopard compatibility (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009081911000448) has been updated with the following information:

An update for Symantec AntiVirus for Mac to version 10.3 is being prepared at this time with a release scheduled for a November/December, 2009 timeframe. In addition to updating Symantec AntiVirus for Mac, Mac OS X 10.6 will also be supported in Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.x, due in April, 2010.  For information on obtaining an update to your existing Symantec product, please read Obtaining an upgrade or update for Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition or Symantec Client Security (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2005092212380948)

As I understand it, the reference to 10.6 being supported in SEP means SEP for Macintosh.

I will update this post with any further information received.

sandra

• 2.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Oct 09, 2009 08:34 AM
    Good Day Sandra.g,

Great news!!

Thank You Very Much,

Best Regards,
    Roberta

• 3.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Oct 30, 2009 10:29 AM

The first link is dead, currently the IT officials at my campus recommend avast! antivirus Mac Edition 2.74 instead of our campus licensed Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.2 for Mac because “Symantec AntiVirus is not currently compatible with OS 10.6 Snow Leopard.” Is this still true?

• 4.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Oct 30, 2009 12:04 PM
    Apologies, the first link was trying to include the closing parenthesis in the url.  It should be

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009081911000448

The SAV 10.3 release is due November/December, as previously stated.  I know they are aiming for sooner rather than later, but I just don't have a more firm date to provide.

I'm sorry to hear that your IT officials decided to distribute another vendor's product instead of contacting Support to obtain what we are providing as an interim solution, Norton Antivirus for Macintosh (Corporate Edition) 11.0.3.

sandra

• 5.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 08, 2009 06:32 PM
    The version number has been revised slightly--instead of SAV 10.3, it will be SAV 10.2.3.  It is still on track to be released by the end of the year.  I do not have more specific information than that.

sandra

• 6.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 12, 2009 12:21 PM
    Any idea if the 64-bit Kernel will be supported in this release?

• 7.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 17, 2009 08:36 AM
    I have been on the phone for the last hour trying to get this work around. I've been tranferred 6 times and hung up on once! I have two different case numbers and am continuing to get the "run around". This might be why IT officials are choosing other vendors. I know the release for 10.2.3 is suppose to be available by the end of the year, unfortunately we do not have the time for that. We do not allow computers on our network that do not have virus protection (windows, mac, or otherwise).
    I have evaluated Intego's VirusBarrierX5, which came highly recommended by our Apple Business Rep. - however, I would rather use Symantec since we have licensing for the Corporate Edition (for Windows).
    What gives here? What's the key word I need to say when I call, is there a different phone number I should be using?

• 8.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 17, 2009 03:22 PM
    Renée,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a hard time getting through to a technician.  If you can PM me a enterprise support case number and your serial number, I will look into it for you.

The phone number would be the same for Windows support.  You have to give the product as Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition for Macintosh.  Do not mention 'Norton' or they will try to put you through to consumer support.

If you have SEP Multitier (bundle) then you have an entitlement to SAV for Mac.  Otherwise having a license for the Windows product does not automatically entitle you to SAV Mac.  If they were able to open a case for you for SAV for Mac, then Customer Care was able to verify that entitlement for you.

Thanks,
    sandra

• 9.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 17, 2009 03:25 PM
    I apologize--I only just now saw this. I don't know but I will see if I can find out for you.

sandra

• 10.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 23, 2009 08:55 AM

This Knowledge Base article says that a Snow Leopard compatible update will be available in Nov/Dec timeframe.

The product page for Symantec AV for Macintosh lists Snow Leopard compatibility as one of it's features and that is the only item listed on it's New Features page.

The current Release Notes for Symantec AV for Macintosh show that v10.2.3 adds Snow Leopard compatibility. It also shows the release date as Dec. 30, 2009.

Is Symantec AV for Macintosh 10.2.3 available yet or did someone jump the gun and posted information about it before it's actually released?

• 11.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 23, 2009 10:37 AM
    Several users at our university have been furstrated enough with the Mac versions/releases that they're asking us to switch vendirs for the Macs as well.  The quicker this gets out, the better.

• 12.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 23, 2009 02:43 PM
    SAV 10.2.3 is not in fact released yet--as I understand it, the target is the 30th.  I suspect the page has been updated in advance of the release.  I am sorry for any confusion.

sandra

• 13.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 23, 2009 02:47 PM

Sorry I never responded to this--we have been very busy.  I do not believe that the AV will be a 64-bit application. 

sandra

• 14.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 30, 2009 10:12 AM

Hey sandra.g

I have been sifting thought the forms looking to find out if SAV is now available for the new MAC OS. You seem to be on the ball regarding this topic and your last post indicated your believe that the product would be released today. Do you know if this has in fact transpired today?  

• 15.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 30, 2009 10:45 AM
    Thanks, Joel.  I'm waiting for the announcement myself so I can post here, and update our KB documents... unfortunately, I have not seen anything yet...

sandra

• 16.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 30, 2009 10:46 AM
    Greetings cantrj,

I am awaiting the release today as well, so far I do not see it posted though I am sure one of us will be here the minute it is :D

• 17.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 30, 2009 04:18 PM
    Greetings,

Just an update, appears there is some internal issue in getting this posted to Fileconnect to download. I am unsure of the details on this though we are working to find out the issue. This late in the day I would not expect it to be available though we haven't received word either way.

• 18.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 31, 2009 10:21 AM
    Greetings,

We are seeing SAV 10.2.3 posting to Fileconnect now. It may take some time to propogate through all of our servers though it's getting there.

Feel free to check your serial numbers as:

https://fileconnect.symantec.com

Hooray!

• 19.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 31, 2009 12:28 PM
     I have SAV 10.2 right now, how do I update it to 10.2.3? When I do live update it says that 10.2 is the current version available. Any help would be appreciated.

• 20.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 31, 2009 01:13 PM
    You'll need to take your serial number to Fileconnect and download the disk image.

sandra

• 21.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 31, 2009 02:21 PM
     Where do I get the serial number? My copy is provided by my postgraduate school, do I just have to wait for them to update their link to the software?

• 22.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 31, 2009 02:31 PM
     Yes. You will need to wait till the person with the serial number downloads the software and makes it available to you.

• 23.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 31, 2009 02:43 PM
     This may sound silly, but I swear that I don't have a serial number.  I purchased Norton Antivirus 10.0 from a local Staples a few years back.  Installed from the CD with no serial number required.  Also no serial number required for my recent update (like, yesterday).  Now, I'm looking over every inch of the box the product came in, the User's Guide and CD itself, and no serial number to be found.  Am I missing something here?

• 24.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Dec 31, 2009 02:55 PM
    You have a consumer product, Norton.  You would not have a serial number to download it from the corporate software portal.  If you want a new version of Norton, you will need to purchase a software upgrade, which is different than upping a subscription to be able to get definitions.   The most current version of that is, I believe, 11.1.

Symantec Antivirus for Mac, the corporate version, is what has just been updated for Snow Leopard compatibility.

Thanks,
    sandra

• 25.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 02, 2010 07:58 PM

How long does it take to propogate? 

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Info

Greetings,

We are seeing SAV 10.2.3 posting to Fileconnect now. It may take some time to propogate through all of our servers though it's getting there.

Feel free to check your serial numbers as:

https://fileconnect.symantec.com

Hooray!

• 26.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 03, 2010 08:58 PM
     Curious if you are seeing it now khoonsim? It should be up by now I think. If your aren't seeing it post back and we can look into what is wrong.

Thanks
    Grant-

• 27.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 03, 2010 11:35 PM
    Hey, It has not appeared on any of my Fileconnect Serial Numbers... still showing version 10.2.1
    Rang Customer Service and they said the product has not been released yet.

• 28.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 04, 2010 10:21 AM
    If you have a serial number for a bundled software package -- i.e. Multi-Tier protection, etc -- I am seeing that 10.2.3 has not yet propagated there.  Multi-Tier serials usually updates after single serials for Mac only, but this seems longer than usual.  I will see if I can find out why that is.

sandra

• 29.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 04, 2010 11:31 AM
    I've been checking on this update for about a week now, and it still isn't showing up for me.  I checked on File Connect and it's not there. I was wondering if this will eventually update automatically through Live Update or not? I'm kinda tired of waiting.

• 30.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 04, 2010 11:54 AM
     Thanks sandra. Looking forward to it!

• 31.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 04, 2010 11:55 AM
     Thanks Grant, sandra is looking into it.

• 32.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 04, 2010 12:01 PM
    I see 10.2.3 on fileconnect now, but the Platform information is incorrect.  It says "MAC OS 10.5/MAC OS 10.4", but it should show "MAC OS 10.6/MAC OS 10.5".  As far as I understand, 10.2.3 does not support MAC OS 10.4 anymore.

• 33.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 04, 2010 12:01 PM
    10.2.3 only began to hit Fileconnect on the 31st.  There is also the Multi-Tier delay I mentioned above.  I am already on the case for that.  If you need a download immediately, call or create a MySupport case and we can get you an alternative method to download.  For obvious reasons, I can't post that information to the forum. :)

sandra

• 34.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 04, 2010 12:34 PM
    We need to be able to support Mac uses. We have not in the past because we did not have a symantec client for Mac users. We are most likely going to buy a Mac server and install Symantec Anti-virus for Mac so we can administer our Mac clients.

My question is does the admin console for Symantec A/V for Mac work on Snow Leopard 10.6 Server?

• 35.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 04, 2010 01:05 PM
    Yes, I noticed that this morning.  We are working on correcting that, too.

Thanks,
    sandra

• 36.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 04, 2010 01:07 PM
    Unfortunately, it does not.  Leopard would be required.

Title: 'Compatibility with the Symantec Administration Console for Macintosh and Mac OS X Server 10.6, Snow Leopard'
    Document ID: 2009120411240748
    > Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009120411240748

sandra

• 37.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 04, 2010 01:09 PM

Initially I had heard that it might be, but I have not heard anything to suggest that is still true.  Sorry :-/

sandra

• 38.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 04, 2010 03:11 PM
    This is in the process of being corrected.  I apologize for the inconvenience. 

sandra

• 39.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 05, 2010 08:19 AM
    Sandra,  I've been reading the forum and I would appreciate if you let me know as soon as possible when 10.2.3 appears for Multi Tier serials, I checked today but is not available. Thanks.

• 40.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 05, 2010 09:44 AM

Customers who have SAV for MAC 10.0 stand alone will use their serial number for the latest patch but for those that have SMP 11.0.2 or Protection Suite 3.0 needs to request a temporary serial number from Customer care

• 41.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 06, 2010 02:49 PM
    So if I have SAV 10.2.0 for Mac and need to upgrade to 10.2.3 to avoid all of the code 10 and 9 error boxes in Snow Leopard, but don't have a serial number since I downloaded the dmg file from my university, should I ask Customer Care for a temporary one?

• 42.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 07, 2010 12:04 PM
    I have been trying to log-in to FileConnect for a few days.  The serial number I'm using comes from the serial number line when I renewed my annual subscription for virus definitions but is not working.  I've tried contacting enterprise support via phone but can't get through to anyone...what should I do to get 10.2.3 so SAV works with snow leopard?

Thanks!

• 43.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 07, 2010 12:40 PM
    You should contact the IT folks at your university, and ask them to contact us to obtain the disk image, which they would then redistribute to you.  Only authorized contacts for the university will be able to get the serial number.

sandra

• 44.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 07, 2010 12:43 PM
    I'm very sorry--we have been extremely busy due to an issue with virus definitions on the PC side.

If the serial number is a SEP Multi Tier serial, I am still seeing that Multi Tier is not reflecting 10.2.3.  I have been trying to push to find out why.  Please open a web case via MySupport, including your serial number, then feel free to PM the case number to me.  I can then investigate officially on my end.

sandra

• 45.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 07, 2010 12:48 PM
    I apologized Capita but like I said that might be  a serial number for SMP 11.0.2 which is not updated yet for the latest patch.

Customercare EMEA is closed due to severe weather in Dublin, I'm sorry.

• 46.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 07, 2010 06:56 PM
    I just got word that Multi Tier serials should now correctly show the 10.2.3 disk image in Fileconnect.

sandra

• 47.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 18, 2010 03:53 PM
    @ sandra.g

Is this the product that we need to purchase a license for so our Mac clients can be managed by the Windows SEPM?

SAV 10.2.3:
    http://shop.symantecstore.com/store/symnasmb/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsSmbPage/productID.61948200/ThemeID.106400/pgm.13399900?resid=S1TJiwoBAiMAACO4SBgAAAA-&rests=1263847818862

We are thinking about deploying some clients that are on 10.6. Thanks for the time.

Mike

• 48.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 18, 2010 05:16 PM
    There is no Symantec antivirus product currently for the Macintosh that can be managed by a Windows SEPM.  We are expecting this to occur by the middle of this year, when SEP for Macintosh is rolled out.  (As always: this is subject to change.)

SAV for Mac 10.2.3 can be managed via the Symantec Administration Console for Macintosh (SACM), which must be installed on a Mac with a server OS no higher than 10.5.x.

I hope this helps clarify things.

Thanks,
    sandra

• 49.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 18, 2010 06:01 PM
    FWIW, when I went to file connect to download this new update on the date this was posted, it downloaded 10.2.1.   This installed fine onto Snow Leopard 10.6 fine, with out auto protect running.     It says it is 10.2 from the GUI on the Mac.     It did require Rosetta, which I did not have. 

I am re-downloading 10.2.3 now.  It is actually downloading with that file name, and is larger, so that is good.  

• 50.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Jan 18, 2010 07:10 PM
    @ sandra.g

Thank you for the info. That's what I needed to know.

Mike

• 51.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Feb 25, 2010 06:25 AM
    Hi
    I am trying to download SAV 10.2.? for Snow Leopard Macs.
    My serial number does not work on FileConnect.
    Do I just have to wait or is there some other magic spell.
    SL

• 52.  RE: SAV for Macintosh / Snow Leopard Compatibility Update

Posted Feb 25, 2010 10:07 AM
    Serial number does not work at all, or does not show you 10.2.3?  SAV for Mac 10.2.3 is definitely available to all who have entitlement to it.  You should not need to wait.  If you purchased SAV for Mac or have SEP Multitier, then you should see it available.  If you don't, call Customer Care.

sandra