Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  QUERY IN MIGRATION OF SYMANTEC ENDPOINT 4 TO 5

Posted Nov 20, 2009 12:16 AM
    NOW WE ARE USING SYMANTEC ENDPOINT ANTIVIRUS 4 BUT WE HAVE PLANNED TO MIGRATE TO 5 BUT WE HAVE 500 CLIENTS SO IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO UPDATE SERVER AND ALL CLIENTS IN A SINGLE DAY WE HAVE PLANNED FIRST WE HAVE UPDATED OUR ENDPOINT MANAGER AND UPGRADE CLIENTS GROUP WISE IN A ALTERNATE WEEKS.SO IS THERE ANY PROBLEM IF I HAVE UPDATED MY ENDPONT SERVER 5 BUT CLIENTS ARE IN VERSION 4?

SOUMYA

• 2.  RE: QUERY IN MIGRATION OF SYMANTEC ENDPOINT 4 TO 5

Posted Nov 20, 2009 12:26 AM
    Its possible to have SEPM on 5 and clients to be on MR4 because thats how we upgrade.

we first upgrade SEPM and then assign the MU5 package to clients groups.

Here is the link for the discussion.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/can-sepm-mr4-mp2-server-manage-sep-ru5-client

• 3.  RE: QUERY IN MIGRATION OF SYMANTEC ENDPOINT 4 TO 5

Posted Nov 20, 2009 12:28 AM
    SO WE HAVE UPGRADE THE MANAGER 5 FIRST.UPGRADE THE PACKAGE GROUPWISE ALTERNATE WEEKS SO THERE IS NO PROBLEM RELATED LIVE UPDATE AND OTHER POLICIES ASSIGNED TO THE GROUPS.

SOUMYA

• 4.  RE: QUERY IN MIGRATION OF SYMANTEC ENDPOINT 4 TO 5

Posted Nov 20, 2009 12:35 AM
    yes... There is no problem....
    Enhanced GUP configuration will not have much effect until all the client upgraded to RU5 in the gruop. other that that all are same in MR4 and RU5.

• 5.  RE: QUERY IN MIGRATION OF SYMANTEC ENDPOINT 4 TO 5

Posted Nov 20, 2009 12:38 AM
    Make sure you are following disaster recovery steps before upgrading SEPM.

• 6.  RE: QUERY IN MIGRATION OF SYMANTEC ENDPOINT 4 TO 5

Posted Nov 20, 2009 12:39 AM

Thats right, Always we first upgrade the manager SEPM  to the latest version, that does not mean that it would stop talking to its previous version clients.  Then we upgrade clinets group wise.
    I have been following this method starting from MR1,  worked like a chap. :) let me know if you have any question.

• 7.  RE: QUERY IN MIGRATION OF SYMANTEC ENDPOINT 4 TO 5

Posted Nov 20, 2009 01:06 AM
    You can first upgrade your SEPM and clients later..
    Below doc can help you in this matter
    Migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 RU5 

Don't forgot to take a backup before upgrading your SEPM
    below doc can help you in this
    Best Practices for Disaster Recovery with the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

You should also stop the SEPM service before starting the upgradation process....