Expand all | Collapse all

applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Migration User

Migration UserDec 09, 2009 01:03 AM

Migration User

Migration UserDec 10, 2009 11:12 AM

• 1.  applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Posted Dec 08, 2009 10:46 AM
    When I view go into the management console OR view it through IE directly, all of the applet/graphs appear as red X's.

For example:

if I'm on the home screen under "attacks in the last 24 hours" I see a red X. All the other images on this screen are fine though. If I go to monitors, New Risks is the only catagory that doesn't appear as a red X.

If I connect to reporting through the browser (IE7), I get the same results. If I connect through firefox, I DO NOT have this issue.

This is obviously a browser issue in some manner, but I can't for the life of me figure out what. Here's what i've done so far.

reset IE settings. Reset security zones. Added server to trusted zones. reinstalled IE7. Installed latest Java. Chcked Java settings (proxy, etc).

After doing the above I went to java.com to test, assuming this is java related and I also got a red x on their java test. I uninstalled java, deleted any IE add-ons for java, rebooted and reinstalled the latest java. Their tests now pass properly, but I'm still getting the Red X's in IE and in SEPM console. Any other suggestions? 

• 2.  RE: applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Posted Dec 08, 2009 10:55 AM
    I think  the problem is with your IE,
    apply the cummulative udpate for your IE from MS
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974455

The Home, Monitors, and Reports tabs in the Endpoint Protection Manager aren't loading completely -- Images and graphs are missing.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008020515073648

• 3.  RE: applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Posted Dec 08, 2009 12:07 PM

est the ODBC connection.

In the Windows Control Panel, open Data Sources (ODBC).

On the System DSN tab click Symantec Endpoint Security DSN.

Click Configure.

On the Login tab, enter the User ID DBA and the Symantec Endpoint Protection database password configured during installation (this is the same as the Endpoint Protection Manager login password by default).

On the Database tab enter the name of the computer that runs Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager into the "Server name:" field.

Under Database Name, enter the following: sem5

On the Network tab ensure TCP/IP is checked.

Enter the IP address of the computer that runs Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager into the TCP/IP field.

On the ODBC tab, click Test Connection and ensure it states Connection successful

Click OK resatart the SEPM and IIS service and then try to log back in

• 4.  RE: applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Posted Dec 08, 2009 12:31 PM
    Rafeeq,

I installed the update as advised, but it did not change my problem. Also, IE Enhanced security is NOT installed.

Any other suggestions? 

• 5.  RE: applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Posted Dec 08, 2009 12:32 PM
    Prachand,

The Database tested successfully already. Any other suggestions? 

• 6.  RE: applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Posted Dec 08, 2009 07:31 PM
    Please follow these steps.

Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager: Home, Monitors, and Reports tabs do not display graphics

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008061308410248

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/7958677ea2f429a7882573e20054fae7?OpenDocument

let me know if this fixes the issue.

• 7.  RE: applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Posted Dec 09, 2009 01:03 AM
    Can you give a screen shot... 

• 8.  RE: applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Posted Dec 09, 2009 01:40 AM
    HI Jason,

I've seen a few cases of this in the past.  The trouble was either with IE failing to display .png files under certain conditions (an update to IE solved that) or there were a great many records in te database- it would encounter time-outs when retrieving thousands of records and calculating the corresponding chart.

Is yours a huge database?  Is it local (on the same server) or remote?  If it's remote, have you done any performance tuning to accomodate it?  Is there a delay for a long time before the red X's appear?

If all is displaying correctly in a non-IE browser then I suspect that the first issue is the culprit.  Are you using RDP (Remote Desktop/Terminal Services) to access this SEPM, or sitting in front of it directly?

Thanks and best regards,

Mick

• 9.  RE: applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Posted Dec 10, 2009 07:03 AM
     right click properties on IE7 icon

Goto shortcut tab

goto advanced

select run as administrator

ok,ok.

restart IE

try opening it now...let me know if that works.

• 10.  RE: applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Posted Dec 10, 2009 11:12 AM
    Tried both of these, no change.

• 11.  RE: applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Posted Dec 10, 2009 11:13 AM
    The database is completely new and empty at this point, new installation.

I am using RDP, not at the console. Though I can hit it from the browser on another server via RDP and I have no issues.

I know this is something browser related, again, I just can't figure out what.

• 12.  RE: applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Posted Dec 10, 2009 11:16 AM

nope, same issue. I am also logged in as administrator.

• 13.  RE: applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Posted Dec 10, 2009 11:16 AM
    its your browser not allowing png files
    thats the reason..can you run the explorer as administator and try? 

• 14.  RE: applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Posted Dec 10, 2009 11:22 AM
    Take a look at permissions and contents of the following directories:

C:\documents and settings\all users\application data\symantec\symantec endpoint protection manager\php
    and
    C:\documents and settings\all users\application data\symantec\symantec endpoint protection manager\php\temp

Those are the directories where the image files get created by PHP for display by IE (or firefox).

• 15.  RE: applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 10, 2009 11:50 AM

I think I know what the problem might be.

MS's KB 935560, "When you use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to a terminal server, PNG images do not appear in Internet Explorer 7 during that RDP session"

There is a hotfix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935560

Try it out!!!!  Let the forum know if that solves the issue.......

Mick

• 16.  RE: applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Posted Dec 10, 2009 11:59 AM
    i've tried that, but I'm also logged in as the administrator, so it's the same thing.

• 17.  RE: applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Posted Dec 10, 2009 12:00 PM
    I'll check them, but keep in mind that if I browse to reports with IE from another server or system, I see the images fine. I think the issue is with IE locally on this particular server.

• 18.  RE: applets/graphs in SEPM showing as red X's, other images display fine

Posted Dec 10, 2009 12:26 PM
    Bingo sir, this was the fix! Thank you very much! I appreciate everyones assistance on this.