Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Is THIS the very latest schema reference???

• 1.  Is THIS the very latest schema reference???

Posted Oct 09, 2009 10:37 AM
    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/symantec_endpoint_protection/11.0/manuals/mr3/

We need to deal with reports since the built-in models, well, frankly, they are pretty worthless..............so I'm looking for the latest database schema - we are at RU5.
    The latest and almost greatest.

• 2.  RE: Is THIS the very latest schema reference???

Posted Oct 09, 2009 11:04 AM
    In ADDITION to my first question - "is this the latest", I guess I need more info - this is the response from our network administrator and SQL person here:

>>Nice documentation for the tables but nothing for the stored procedures, etc.; so it doesn’t give me what I need to know to form an ad-hoc query.<<

Any repsonse on that?

• 3.  RE: Is THIS the very latest schema reference???

Posted Oct 09, 2009 11:05 AM
    I doubt. Read it somewhere that MR4MP2 had major schema changes.

• 4.  RE: Is THIS the very latest schema reference???

Posted Oct 09, 2009 11:28 AM

Last I heard the only changes to the schema were in MR3.... but I'm not an Symantec employee so I could be wrong.  I base most of my work off the schema you have mentioned above.

• 5.  RE: Is THIS the very latest schema reference???

Posted Oct 09, 2009 11:34 AM

I can't find what I read before but something close, though it does not exactly mention if changes are in MR3 or MR4

Hello Ravi,

As per the Symantec recommendation you should migrate your existing setup to MR4 first and then to MR4MP2 as there are major changes  involved in the database schema for MR2 and MR4. A direct upgrade to MR4MP2 may cause issues like database corruption, lost client - SEPM communication, corruption in dll files etc.

Also, MR5 is soon due to be released sometime towards end of September 2009 so if you can wait till that time you may migrate to MR5 directly rather than going for MR4, MR4MP2 and then MR5 which would be a bit of tedious job in your given environment.

Hope this helps :-)

Regards,
    AMOL BHOSALE
    SCTS, MCP

Reference: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-mr2-mr4-upgrade

• 6.  RE: Is THIS the very latest schema reference???

Posted Oct 09, 2009 11:57 AM
    That was my fear - no one knows..........  ;-)

• 7.  RE: Is THIS the very latest schema reference???

Posted Oct 09, 2009 05:23 PM
    I would like to know the answer to this as well.

• 8.  RE: Is THIS the very latest schema reference???

Posted Oct 10, 2009 02:35 AM

Are you looking for such a doc...

Try by downloading db_schema_ref_guide.pdf from below link

SQL Database Schema Information and Database Planning for Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

http://www.symantec.com/connect/downloads/sql-database-schema-information-and-database-planning

• 9.  RE: Is THIS the very latest schema reference???

Posted Oct 10, 2009 08:17 PM
    the schema has changed since MR3, but I've not seen a later version of the document - to be honest, for what you need to report on, the MR3 version will be fine.

in answer to your second question, we don't have any stored procedures. 

You may want to take a look at the SEP Pack for IT Analytics, you need SQL Analysis and Reporting Services, but you can do pretty much anything with it, in a very easy to use drag and drop type fashion - it is an extra cost, but compare that to the time you may spend writing some of the reports and its probably cheaper.

You can download a demo from our website - grab the SIM installer and you can start the install from there: http://www.symantec.com/business/products/trialware.jsp?pcid=pcat_business_cont&pvid=cm_suite_1

• 10.  RE: Is THIS the very latest schema reference???

Posted Oct 14, 2009 06:37 AM
    Hi ShadowsPapa,

The latest Endpoint Protection manuals can be downloaded from Symantec's website.  These include a .pdf of the Database Schema Reference, Documentation version 11.00.05.00.00.

Thanks and best regards,

Mick

• 11.  RE: Is THIS the very latest schema reference???

Posted Oct 14, 2009 08:20 AM

Got the schema - it's not where you'd expect it on the FTP site - it's not in the RU5 folder, all other schemas are in the respective release folders. The RU5 one is in the root directory. Go figure. Someone needs to do a bit of housekeeping! LOL

The kicker is that it's pretty basic, no references to stored procedures, etc. Bummer! They leave that out. It doesn't give what's needed to form ad-hoc queries, just the table outlay.
    Our SQL and report person would have preferred a more complete reference including stored procedures.

Oh, well, they STILL make GOOD reports so very difficult. The included ones might as well not even be there.

<begin rant mode>
    Who cares about a pie chart that simply says "you had 10 infections, 5 of them in this group and 5 in that group".
    So what? We can pretty much guess that part. We want NAMES, PLACES, and virus names.
    We want reports, not a summary that includes only a total number for a month. So we are left to doing it ourselves, but that ain't a lot of info to go by. Sorry.....
    And to match where the MR3 and other schemas are, might want to move the RU5 schema from the root of that folder into the RU5 folder so we know where to find it. Thank.
    </end rant mode>

• 12.  RE: Is THIS the very latest schema reference???

Posted Feb 17, 2010 11:32 AM
    One of the main arguments for going to SEP11/SEPM was that the included reporting would be greatly improved over SAV10CE.

After trying to actually get some useful reports out of the SEPM reporting system, I've concluded about the same as ShadowsPapa above.  

SEP11/SEPM reporting really sucks, big time.

Are we fooling ourselves expecting improvements with the next major release, or are you going to, and as usual, try to sell more products/systems instead?

You really should try more to keep your customers happy...