Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Install Packages Reboot Option

• 1.  Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 21, 2010 09:17 AM
    I just updated from 11.0.5 to 11.0.6a. I want to update the client software after hours. Is there an option to have the Install Package reboot the client system after it completes the update?

• 2.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 21, 2010 09:25 AM

Yes , it can be done from the Install Settings for the package, but once the update is done the user will get a prompt if he needs to reboot or not.

Title: 'Creating custom client installation packages in the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console'
    Document ID: 2007110513361348
    > Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007110513361348?Open&seg=ent

• 3.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 21, 2010 09:26 AM

If you are asking about Automatic Reboot that will not be possible. But yes, You can select Interactive Mode option where User will get Dialog Box which will as Reboot or Delay the Reboot.

• 4.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 21, 2010 09:29 AM
    Sorry, I do not see the option to reboot or delay reboot when I choose Edit for the Install Package. Could you provide more details.

• 5.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 21, 2010 09:32 AM

To create a new custom client installation configuration

Open the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console.
    On the Admin Tab, under Tasks, click Install Packages.
    The current default client installation packages appear on the right.
    Under View Install Packages, click Client Install Settings.
    Under Tasks, click Add Client Install Settings.
    Specify the name you would like the custom Client Install Settings to have.
    Give the custom Client Install Settings a description.
    Select an installation type from the following:
    Unattended    (Displays notification, but requires no user input)
    Interactive    (User input required)
    Silent        (No user input or display)

Select either Restart the computer after installation or Do not restart the computer after installation.
    Select the installation location (default or custom folder).
    Enable or disable installation logging.
    Select whether or not to add the program to the Start Menu.
    Select whether or not to maintain all previous logs, policies, and client-server communication settings.
    Click OK.

• 6.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 21, 2010 09:33 AM

Once the Installation is done, a dialog box pop up on the screen which has 3 options Restart Now, Restart After 60 Minutes or Restart Later. These are not the exact words but this is whta it mean.

Here is an aoption where you can create customer package with custom settings

Title :'Creating custom client installation packages in the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console'
    Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007110513361348

• 7.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 21, 2010 09:34 AM
    use upgrade groups with package feature.. and set a schedule for it
    2) create  custom install setting which reboots
    which using the upgrade feature , select the second one step 2

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007110513361348

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009101503293948

• 8.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 21, 2010 09:41 AM
    Thank you for your assistance. I will take a look at what you have suggested and see if that works for me,

• 9.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 21, 2010 09:46 AM
    Sorry, but I don't see how you can use a new Client Install Settings that reboots with an Auto Upgrade of a Install Package that automatically reboots client machines. I am looking through the information that has been provided and I do not see how I can accomplish what I need to have done. Please advise.

• 10.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 21, 2010 09:55 AM

With auto upgrade it is not possible.

if you craete a new package and push it over the RU5 then only it is possible,

• 11.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 21, 2010 09:59 AM
    Hmm, then I would think that Symantec needs to update its client update process to add that feature. This is a really inconvenient. Can someone reccomend how I can update my client machines after hours and have them reboot? At this point it seems that Symantec has only given me the option of manually rebooting all of my systems.

• 12.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 21, 2010 10:13 AM
    I was wrong in the upgrade feature its not avaialble ...
    put a upgrade schedule
    give it some time say max 6 hours
    use shutdown -i option of windows
    put your clients, get it rebooted after that time.

• 13.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 21, 2010 10:29 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion Rafeeq. I will try to figure something out. I just find it hard to believe that Reboot is not an option with the client upgrade.

• 14.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 21, 2010 10:30 AM
    reboot is only required when you install NTP, if just AV and AS its not required.

Do I need to restart the Symantec Endpoint Protection client after migration?
    A restart is not required, but the computers that are not restarted after migration are protected with only AntiVirus/AntiSpyware features. You must perform a restart to protect your computers with firewall features.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007071909500548

• 15.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 21, 2010 10:45 AM

I will take a look and see if NTP is on the clients. Thanks Rafeeq.

• 16.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 23, 2010 09:49 AM
    Rafeeq,
    How can I tell that NTP is not turned on? I looked through the policy settings and I do not see where NTP is enabled.

• 17.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 23, 2010 10:52 AM
    Here is an article which can be used to check if NTP is enabled

Title: 'How to tell if Symantec Network Threat Protection is installed on an endpoint'
    Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2010032515144648?Open&seg=ent

• 18.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 23, 2010 12:16 PM
    Thank you for the information Mudit. I did what the article stated to look for cleints with NTP installed and I didn't have any clients with NTP installed. I do not understand why the clients need to be rebooted after the client software update. I noticed in the log that I exported that there is a Restart Reason of
    The Symantec Endpoint Protection component has a task to complete from install.
    Any ideas why I am getting this message?

• 19.  RE: Install Packages Reboot Option

Posted Jul 23, 2010 03:10 PM

Even if NTP is not installed Restart required would show up in the logs as there could be some changes those require reboot.