Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Best way to upgrade clients.

• 1.  Best way to upgrade clients.

Posted Jul 18, 2013 05:46 AM

Hi everyone,

My existing SEPM & SEP version is 12.1.2(RU2)

i want to upgrade to 12.1.3(RU3).

I am having 30000+ clients in my enviorment at remote locations.Can anyone suggest the easiest way to upgrade all my clients.

do i need to run push deployment tool for all my clients? any other option.....

• 2.  RE: Best way to upgrade clients.

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jul 18, 2013 05:47 AM

Hello,

If you are planning to upgrade or migrate to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.3, please take a look at the latest how-to article created by our very own SEP content council team.

Best practices for upgrading to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.x

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH163700

Auto-upgrade is used to install a new version of Symantec Endpoint Protection client software on all the clients in a group.

It can be used to upgrade multiple machines in a network to a new version of SEP with a minimum of user intervention. To upgrade SEP on a network, it is only necessary to manually upgrade the SEPM, and then the clients will download the install package assigned to their group as they heartbeat to the manager, or on a schedule.

Another use would be for testing deployment of a new version on a test group before upgrading the rest of the network.

In the enterprise version, use Upgrade Clients with Package to upgrade existing clients: 

Upgrading clients by using AutoUpgrade in Symantec Endpoint Protection (enterprise version)

Hope that helps!!

• 3.  RE: Best way to upgrade clients.

Posted Jul 18, 2013 05:48 AM

Autoupgrade is the best way

How to upgrade Symantec Endpoint Protection clients using the Auto-Upgrade feature

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH96789

• 4.  RE: Best way to upgrade clients.

Posted Jul 18, 2013 05:51 AM

• 5.  RE: Best way to upgrade clients.

Posted Jul 18, 2013 06:09 AM

Hi

Please find the ways to upgrade the clients

1. Schedule Auto Upgrade of clients from SEPM.

2. For remote users you can upgrade by using IIS

Regards

• 6.  RE: Best way to upgrade clients.

Posted Jul 18, 2013 07:01 AM

Hi, 

Autoupgrade is the right option for you.

Upgrading clients by using AutoUpgrade

The AutoUpgrade process lets you automatically upgrade the Symantec Endpoint Protection client software for all the clients that are contained in a group. For example, you can use AutoUpgrade to upgrade clients to a new maintenance release or product version.

You must test the AutoUpgrade process before you attempt to upgrade a large number of clients in your production network. If you do not have a test network, you can create a test group within your production network. For this kind of test, you add a few non-critical clients to the test group and then upgrade them by using AutoUpgrade. You confirm that the upgrade completed successfully by verifying the version number of the client software. The version number is displayed in the client's Help >About panel.

To upgrade clients by using AutoUpgrade

1.    In the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console, click Admin.

2.    Click Install Packages.

3.    Under Tasks, click Upgrade Clients with Package.

4.    In the Upgrade Groups Wizard panel, click Next.

5.    In the Select Client Install Package panel, select the appropriate client installation package, and then click Next.

6.    In the Specify Groups panel, select the groups that contain the client computers that you want to upgrade, and then click Next.

7.    In the Package Upgrade Settings panel, select Download from the management server.

You can optionally stage and select a package on a Web server.

8.    Click Upgrade Settings.

9.    On the General tab, select Maintain existing client features when updating.

You can optionally add or remove features when upgrading.

10.  Optionally, on the Notification tab, customize the user notification settings. You can customize the message that is displayed on the client computer during the upgrade. You can also allow the user to postpone the upgrade by an amount you specify.

For more information about schedule and notification settings, click Help.

11.  Click OK.

12.  In the Upgrade Groups Wizard Complete panel, click Next.

13.  Click Finish.

Regrds

Ajin

• 7.  RE: Best way to upgrade clients.

Posted Jul 18, 2013 07:10 AM

Use the Auto upgrade to upgrade your clients.

do i need to run push deployment tool for all my clients? 

push deployment wizard you can use when system is offline on server.

• 8.  RE: Best way to upgrade clients.

Posted Jul 18, 2013 07:49 AM

Hello,

i am totally agree with above comments. Auto upgrade feature for this high count. You can schedule the tim range to upgrade the version.

• 9.  RE: Best way to upgrade clients.

Posted Jul 18, 2013 07:59 AM

Upgrading 30k clients can prove quite challenging, especially pushing from the SEPM. Do you have a SCCM in your environment? If so, you can easily push out an upgrade with this.

• 10.  RE: Best way to upgrade clients.

Posted Jul 18, 2013 08:16 AM

Hi

Can you please provide the update on the solution provided

Regards

• 11.  RE: Best way to upgrade clients.
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 18, 2013 10:46 AM

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Symantec community.

I would be glad to answer your query.

As mentioned have remote sites, total how many sites are there and total how many clients are there per site?

Auto upgrade may not fit correctly if WAN link is having limited bandwidth. In that case you can configure schedule to upgrade the clients.

This is the article demonstrate how to perform auto upgrade.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/upgrade-clients-sep-121-auto-upgrade-feature

I would suggest following plan for you

1) Upgrade SEPM to the latest version

2) Upgrade all GUP machines to the latest version

About Group Update Providers and legacy software releases

3) Upgrade all the local clients.

4) Start doing upgrade of remote sites in phase manner.

What best practice you used to follow in the past?