Migration User

Migration UserApr 22, 2009 11:16 AM

Migration User

Migration UserMay 03, 2009 03:12 PM

Migration User

Migration UserMay 05, 2009 09:54 PM

• 1.  SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 20, 2009 04:20 AM
    Any idea when Symantec will Launch Endpint Protection 12.0???

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 20, 2009 04:59 AM
    It's in a pre-release test phase.

Tejas

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 20, 2009 05:06 AM

A seprate forum discussion is already on, I think you will get more information over there...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/clarification-symantec-sb-12-vs-symantec-endpoint-11

Just for the quick answer, visit directly to...

SBE (small business edition) it is now available for you to review first-hand at the following URL:

https://symbeta.symantec.com/callout/default.html?callid=A180DA3C64C14BA49051F05C6F13DE69

The "announcement blog" found here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/syma...

Best,

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 20, 2009 08:49 AM
     I would personally want to see 11.0 MR4 mp2 soon to fix all currentl issues

• 5.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 20, 2009 04:34 PM
    You need to clarify here..

SEP SBE 12.0 will launch soon, designed for the Small Business.

It is not an "upgrade" to the current SEP product, it is a whole new product targetted at the SB market.

The next release for SEP 11.x is MR4 MP2 in May, followed by MR5 later this year.

SEP 12.0 will follow that and have some big changes.

• 6.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 20, 2009 04:37 PM
    What will some of the big changes be?  Never know it may effect my planning for 2008 and win 7.

• 7.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 20, 2009 06:17 PM
    Lets start off by saying exactly what is included in Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 Small Business Edition. SEP 12 will include Antivirus + Antispyware, Proactive Threat Scan, and Network Threat Protection. It can also be purchased as a bundle which would include the full SEP 12 (for mac windows and linux), Mail Security for Exchange, Premium Anti-Spam, and BESR (desktop edition). Now let me say that the purpose of this the product is for ease of use in small business envioronments. This means that parts of SEP 11 have been scaled down specifically for use in Small Businesses. Examples of this include:

-Only a single site is support for symantec enpoint protection site
    -Location awareness is removed
    -Symantec Enpoint Protection Domain functionality is disabled
    -Other advnaced features have been hidden (not removed)

Other changes include:

- Apache fully has replaced IIS for HTTP related communications
    - In the Heartbeat Order of Operations the SEP 12 does not have an application list to upload to the SEPM
    - Simplified backup system for recovery in case of SEPM failure. The manual backup feature remains unchanged from SEP 11
    - Clients now fail over to a public LiveUpdate server when: Virus Definitions reach 1 day old, the SEPM has not been available for 1 check in interval. This fail over will also apply to clients with disabled LiveUpdates. They will temporarily re-enable liveupdate then disable it again when the sepm becomes available.
    - Different graphical changes were made to the Console. These changes were made to simplify information for the network admin. If someone wants to hear more specific changes to the console just post and I will provide.
    - There is also a different licensing mechanism and new wizards available in SEP 12. Again if someone wants specific information on this just post and I can give you this.

If anyone spots anything that may be wrong or something that I forgot to add please post it. Thanks. Hopefully this helps to answer some questions.

• 8.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 20, 2009 11:28 PM
    Grant Hall, please elobrate more on new liensing mechanism in SEP 12.

• 9.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 20, 2009 11:34 PM
     So SEP 12 for enterprise is a while away...MR4 MP2 is it then ...

• 10.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 20, 2009 11:41 PM
    SEP is only ofr Small Business.
    Since SEP 11 has a very heavy Footprint so Symantec came up with a lighter version of SEP ( A.K.A.  Diet Coke) for Small Business environment..
    It does not use IIS any more.so there is no more
    "Failed to connect to server" and "Unable to communicate with reporting component"

It does not support Replication so there is no Domain or ADMIN tab.

SEP 11 will follow its own path mr4..mr5...and so on.

Mr4Mp2 is on the way and it should be there somewhere around next month or so.

• 11.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 20, 2009 11:45 PM

SEP 12 Licensing is similar to SAV 10 Small Business Licensing.
    Once you register your product there will be SLF Files available for download from Symantec Licensing Portal.
    On the SEP 12 manager home page there is an option to add the license once you add the license the status will become green.

Where you have the option to Add license at the same place you have two more links
    one to contact Symantec Technical Support and other will land you here ..
    Symantec Forum.

• 12.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 20, 2009 11:56 PM
    I think SEP SBE 12.0 is expected to launch early next month. Thats when you can start purchasing new licenses. Expect to see a lot more announcements and details about the product in the coming weeks.

• 13.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 21, 2009 03:22 AM
    thanks but i will wait for the full sep 12 that will release later this year or early next year..

• 14.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 21, 2009 06:39 AM
    ...for SEP 12 MR2 minimum before alpha testing, Unless of course Symantec is offering compensation for time, pain, and suffering during it's initial release so we can all work out the bugs as advanced beta testers.

Pardon my pessimistic attitude... but SEP 11 is\was a tough road traveled.

• 15.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 21, 2009 06:45 AM
    Now it is in Beta version. I think it will be realeased on JULY 2009.

• 16.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 21, 2009 10:18 AM
    As a small business (10 seats, single server), we were happy with SAV 10, but facing the prospect of Vista machines entering our inventory and SEP 11 looked like the way to "plan ahead" to provide a clean migration path to a security suite that could/would support Vista.  That was in the summer of 2007. 

We bit the proverbial bullet in November 2007 with the SEP RTM release which cost us several months of pain and frustration until MR2 came out in early 2008.  MR2 fixed many of the problems that caused network instability, but much of the functionality was still inoperative.Watching the forums, MR3 looked like it didn't fix enough of the problems to warrant another pain cycle, so we held tight until MR4.  Since migrating to MR4 last fall, the system is stable and has most of the functionality we as a small business need.  Again, based on the forums, we held off on MR4/MP1 since it seemed to break things than it fixed and haven't even been tracking MR4/MP2.

We're now coming up on the dreaded renewal decision.  As pointed out in this thread, after having endured the roll-out of SEP 11, unless another product has significantly better capability/performance, the relearning penalty argues for staying the course with Symantec.  That said, the prospect of a "new and improved" release scares the heck out of us.

While the SEP 12 "Small Business Edition" sounds like a good idea on the surface, I question the selection of features included and more importantly, not included.  To have a LiveUpdate failover when the SEPM has been unavailable implies an acknowledgement that small businesses tend to have a predominantly laptop infrastructure that comes in and out of the office, yet location awareness has been removed.  Seems like nothing more than a packaging decision to drive small business customers to the higher priced product by leaving out key functionality they need.  The version repackaging seems to always occur at renewal time and the details (beyond marketing hype) don't come out until well after the renewal point. 

In all likelihood, we'll pay for the renewal of the industrial strength SEP (vice SBE) and probably sit on SEP 11, MR4 for at least the first six months of the SEP 12 roll-out to let others lead the way into the unknown.  The price delta can't be more than the cost of my time away from paying customers figuring out what features were disabled or hidden which I'm currently using.

• 17.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 21, 2009 10:23 AM
     I would say move to MR4 MP2 coming up early May 2009. It is supposed to solve most existing issues and will be a stable version *fingers crossed*. SEP 12 SBE is a while away

• 18.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 21, 2009 10:51 AM
    No more time... Its just coming by next month.

• 19.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 21, 2009 04:17 PM
    To start off with there are a few different licensing schemes that you can choose from. Origionally with a new SEPM installation you get a trial-ware license which last for 30 days. Then from there you have to choices, you can get a regualr purchase license or a "Never Expires" purchase license. This never expires option can only be used for unmanaged client packages.

Also the new licensing mechanism allows for a convienient way for admins to see how many licenses and there expirations dates via the console. It also provides an easy way to apply newly purchased license or upgrade from existing licenses via the consol. Also the SEPM and the client periodicaly compare license files. So when a specific client's license expires the SEPM will automatically update that license, assuming of course that there are more unused licenses available on the SEPM.

Also I think it is worth it to be clear that SEP 12 cannot be used to upgrade and existing SEPM, but the 12.0 clients can be upgrades from earlier versions. Also there is no crossing versions. For instance SEP 11.0 clients cannot be managed by a 12.0 server, and SEP 12 clients cannot be managed by a 11.0 server.
    Thanks

• 20.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 22, 2009 10:13 AM
    We are much more happy with 11.0 and its lovely App and dev control features.

Also have some issues which will be fixed every two to three months In new MR or MP.

• 21.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 22, 2009 11:16 AM
    Is beta version available for SEP 12?

• 22.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 22, 2009 11:07 PM
    Yes, veyy well.. See my first answer above

or try at

https://symbeta.symantec.com/callout/default.html?...

• 23.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 22, 2009 11:24 PM
    obviously ,it's for SMB only..I hate upgrade..SEP 11's upgrade progress makes me crazy....

• 24.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 23, 2009 02:15 AM
    Hi there - if you want to check out SEP SBE 12.0 you can try it for here

https://symbeta.symantec.com/callout/default.html?callid=A180DA3C64C14BA49051F05C6F13DE69

One of the concepts around SEP SBE 12.0 was for it to have minimal configuration and "simply" work out-of-box. (Obviously we won't get everything right the first time.)

The rationale on LiveUpdate failover is that if customers typically have systems that are constantly roaming then its easier for the client to have the intelligence out-of-box to download LiveUpdate either from management server or directly from symantec. Why force the adminstrators to configure Locations and configure policies to get that functionality going. Now I have to say I am a big fan of the Location concept, so hopefully we get to see a simpler concept of locations in future releases...

• 25.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Apr 23, 2009 04:22 PM
    Hi folks,

Please note when you create a thread, while looking at what PRODUCT to tag the thread, IF you click on the "See All Products" text- link, you'll get a much larger list of products to choose from.  One is specifically Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition, where I've retagged this thread.  You can find the other SBE threads here - please use that to help answer your questions.
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/security/forums/endpoint-protection-small-business

Best,

Eric

• 26.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted May 01, 2009 09:33 PM
    I have always used symantec products on my personal computers. My family owns a small convienient store and I heard about SEP 12 and am pretty excited about it. Couple questions though. And I will try not to post things that already have been talked about in these forumns but if i do sorry.

1. Can anyone get a beta or do you already have to own some version of a preexisting product
    2. Once you get the beta installed and the real release comes out can you just upgrade or do you have to uninstall/reinstall?
    3. Do you have to buy specific licenses like you do now based off of how many computers you have or since it is assumed to be less than 100 users you just buy one pack?

sorry if these have already been asked

• 27.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted May 01, 2009 09:51 PM
    I just remembered my last question sorry for the double post. Will SEP 12 work with Windows 7? I know it is hard to say for sure cuz it is still in beta too but we are all still running xp pro so I wanted to do the switch to Windows 7 at the same time as the switch to SEP 12.

• 28.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted May 01, 2009 10:13 PM
    Hi Sym_Man22, you can download the trailware software for SEP SBE 12.0 from the link below. Its a free download that works for 30 days

http://www.symantec.com/business/products/trialware.jsp?pcid=pcat_security&pvid=endpt_prot_sbe_1

You can purchase licenses for the software starting May 4th from your local reseller (recommended) or directly from Symantec.

2) Once you install the software and get your license keys after purchase, all you have to do is import your licese file and u are set. (No uninstalling/reinstalling)

3) Y ou can buy based on as many computers as you have or you have opton to buy 5, 10 or 25 pack as well. The minimum is 5.

Currently SEP SBE 12.0 does not support WIndows 7 but expect to see a Windows 7 compatible version out as soon Windows 7 becomes available.

• 29.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted May 03, 2009 03:12 PM
    Thanks that is what I was hoping to hear. Perfect.

• 30.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted May 05, 2009 04:36 PM
    sep 12 is watered down sep 11 with most of majour features removed . the manager does not need IIS so    may be you can install it on even a XP and manage 100 clients as it uses only apache the version i tested was .62 , now the beta is 124 , hoping to test it .

• 31.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted May 05, 2009 09:54 PM
    SEP 12 is yet be launched commertially.

• 32.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted May 06, 2009 03:05 PM

Paul Murgatroyd said SEP SBE 12.0 will launch soon.

How soon?

We have just installed a trial (today) which will run out in 30 days - will the full product be available before the trial runs out?

there does not appear to be a trial of the Mail Security for Exchange component which we need - is this available?

• 33.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted May 06, 2009 03:15 PM

Grant Hall has said that the full version will include Mail Security for Exchange - is this available as a trial?

We have a new Small Business Server installaton going in this weekend.  It is an upgrade to a SBS2000 installation running Corporate Edition v10.xx. 

Their existing licenses allowed the downoad and installaton of SEP 11 Enterprise, but was unable to install push the clients on to xp pro pcs.  The client installed ok on the server, but firewall component stopped drives from mapping, then seemed to be ok later. 

But we had no problems with Mail Security for Exchange, which does not appear to be part of the SEP SBS 12.0 trial.

I would say the experience with the SBS edition was much better, but the trouble is this is just a 30-day trial, and there is no SMSMSE?

Maybe I will have another go with v11 Enterprise after reading the useful links included in the SBS 12.0 experience.

Windows firewalls on the pcs could be an issue, but the option to turn them off is greyed out, even for administrators  May be a group policy issue, but I cant see where.

A further question:

SBS2008 insists on creating a SBS administrator and disables the default administrator "administrator".

So why do both the v11 Enterprise and v12 SBS versions only seem to install with the traditional administrator after it is re-enabled?

The error I get during SEP console installation is "failed to create the embedded database service".

• 34.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted May 07, 2009 01:17 AM
    Are you in North America?

SEP SBE 12.0 licenses can be purchased in North America, Europe starting May 4th so if you contact your partners (recommended) they should be able to sell you new licenses. If not, you can go to Symantec.com for purchase as well

In addition, take a look at Symantec Protection Suite Small Business Edition trialware on Symantec's website. It will include Mail Security for Exchnage trailware as well.

Nimesh.

• 35.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted May 07, 2009 01:23 AM
    Hi grw

take a look at Symantec protection suite Small Business edition trailware. This includes SEP SBE 12.0 and Mail seurity for exchange and a few other things. You should be able to purchase licenses for this today.

http://www.symantec.com/business/protection-suite-small-business-edition

I am not following your issue on default administrator with SEP SBE 12.0. When you install SEP SBE, it will create an "admin" account whcih can be used to login to the manager. This is not related the "administraor" account on the Windows OS. If you are still getting errors please post the details and exact steps and I can try and help you work through them.

nimesh.

• 36.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Jun 06, 2009 04:40 AM
    I downloaded SEP prerelease v12 and loved it.  But after 3 days of calls to symantec Sales, Licensing, & Tech Support, I was told only SEP 11 was available (May 2009) and I would have to manually uninstall SEP 12 before deploying SEP 11 clients.

what is going on?

Is SEP 12 available or not?  Is there a remote/silent uninstall tool or not? Is it an upgrade of v11 or not?

I have 80 computers with SEPv12 licenses about to expire so I purchased SEP 11 licenses assumming I could update later, but now I'm faced with the task of having to find a way to uninstall the v12 clients before I can install SEP11.  But even worse, after reading posts on these forums, I now realize the v12 product I loved won't even be an upgrade of SEP v11.

i'm really ticked because that is not what Symantec personnel told me when I called.

• 37.  RE: SEP 12.0

• 38.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Jun 07, 2009 06:07 PM
    Hi CorIT

I am assuming you ahve SEP SBE 12.0 trail vesrion deployed. If  you wish to purchase licenses of SEP SBE 12.0

http://www.symantec.com/business/endpoint-protection-small-business-edition

If you purhcased SEP 11 licenses recently, you can call customer care and ask them that you wish to do a license transfer and move your SEP 11.0 licenses to SEP SBE 12.0 licenses.

I hope that helps.

Nimesh.

• 39.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Jun 08, 2009 08:20 PM
     Can LiveUpdate Failover be configured in SEP 11?
    I like the idea of using Apache.  Can it be used in SEP 11?

• 40.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Jun 09, 2009 01:57 PM

• 41.  RE: SEP 12.0

Posted Jun 11, 2009 04:32 PM
    I got the following directly from Symantec:

"Any customer that has SAV/SEP 11.x can be crossgraded to SEP SBE 12.0 at renewal time. If the customer is not up for renewal then they you can call customer care and have their license transfer at no cost. (note: this is true for customers with SAV/SEP 11.x)"

"... - my understanding is that most of your customers have purchased Multi-tier Protection [this is the full SEP Multitier]. The options here are
    • Cross-grade them at time of renewal to SPS Enterprise Edition (this means they will continue using SEP 11.x and not have access to SEP SBE 12.0)
    • Require a license transfer downgrade to SPS Small Business Edition (this will involve working with a Symantec sales rep and customer care). SPS SBE includes SEP SBE 12.0 product
    • Sell the customer new licenses of SPS SBE Promo (due to the 30% discount, the price is cheaper than Multi-tier renewal – thank you bringing it to my attention)."