Deployment Solution

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

DS 7.1 Site server components not installing

• 1.  DS 7.1 Site server components not installing

Posted Mar 27, 2010 10:48 PM
    Has anybody had this problem?

I have 2 servers the NS box and the SQL box.

I am trying to install the DS 7.1 site server components to the NS box's agent.

It has been over 24 hrs since i set the task up and scheduled it (and ran it with the run ASAP checkbox) and it still has not installed.

On a previous build, it did the same thing, and that time I even tried running the MSI / bat file directly to install it, and it didn't work.

What is going on here?

I was thinking that it may not be needed, but I don't see any PXE servers available to use in the other screens for Deployment solution.

I have to be missing something stupid, any ideas?

(what really sucks is a wiped my DS6.9 build completely to get this up and im stuck without PXE imaging!!!; if all else fails i can do the automation partition stuff if needed though)

Thanks all.

• 2.  RE: DS 7.1 Site server components not installing

Posted Mar 28, 2010 08:36 PM
    You are trying to make the NS a site server.  You cannot make the NS a site server, because it already functions as one.

You may want to try making a different system a site server, even if it's just a test box, to prove that you can create a site server on a non-NS.

You may find this helpful:
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/install-site-server-task-services-smp-7-and-cms-7

• 3.  RE: DS 7.1 Site server components not installing

Posted Mar 28, 2010 08:52 PM
    The Notification Server has PXE services installed on it automatically when you install DS 7.1.  They are stopped and in a manual state. You must start them, and THEN deploy the Site Server Deployment Task Handler agents to the Site Servers, before you can make the Site Servers PXE Servers.

If the NS is going to be your only PXE Server, you don't need to roll-out anything.

If you roll the Task Handler agents, when the PXE Services are stopped on the NS, the Site Servers will not install PXE, despite the task executing successfully.

https://kb.altiris.com/article.asp?article=51896&p=1

https://kb.altiris.com/article.asp?article=51467&p=1

So, you don't need to add any DS site server components to the NS. Just look for the name _Symantec services for PXE, as pointed out in 54167.

'_Symantec_netBoot_Interface'
    '_Symantec_netBoot_Mtftp'
    '_Symantec_netBoot_NSiSignal'
    '_Symantec_netBoot_Server'

• 4.  RE: DS 7.1 Site server components not installing

Posted Mar 28, 2010 10:44 PM
    Thanks a lot for the info, I have a lot of reading to do!

I'll post back / mark posts as solutions once I get this all setup.

• 5.  RE: DS 7.1 Site server components not installing

Posted Mar 29, 2010 08:17 AM
    It looks like everything is setup correctly and turned on, but it doesn't seem to find the PXE server.

I need to explain my setup real quick though

SQL box: 
    2 IPs: 1 IP is public, the other IP is 192.168.1.10 and is a crossover cable directly do the NS server

NS server:
    2 IPs: 1 IP is public, the other IP is 192.168.1.11 

I have the hosts file setup on each PC so that they only use the direct connect IPs when talking to each other.

Problem is when I saw the PXE server in the PXE server config page, it initially had the 192.168.x IP... So i changed this to the public IP.
    (not sure if this could be the problem, so I thought Id mention it)

On the DHCP server, I have option 66 set to the NS server's name (Same way I had it for DS6.9SP3)

Both the Preboot and PXE server configs are set to "on"

When I boot up a PC, I get the PXE-E53: no boot filename recieved

Any ideas?

Maybe this is simply the way it is, and I have to actually deploy a job to a computer before it gets a "boot filename" ?

• 6.  RE: DS 7.1 Site server components not installing

Posted Mar 29, 2010 08:47 AM
    is to get it to receive a boot file name. You can't create one ahead of time like in 6.9SP3. Since you are configuring the server name in one place, and the IP in another, I suspect something is getting confused on the networking side.

Are these systems on the same subnet? If not, try setting up the ip helper between subnets, with the correct IP.

• 7.  RE: DS 7.1 Site server components not installing

Posted Mar 29, 2010 09:15 AM
    I guess I should ask:

What would I see if the following conditions were true and everything was setup correctly:

workstation is set to boot via PXE first
    PC that I am turning on is NOT in the database
    "respond to unknown computers" is UNCHECKED
    ALL PXE settings are enabled and configured correctly.

When the PC boots up, should the network boot do something?

• 8.  RE: DS 7.1 Site server components not installing

Posted Mar 29, 2010 09:51 AM
    If the PC isn't in the database, you are going to have to check "respond to unknown computers".

If you don't, per Christovan's solution, it will give a 3 second prompt asking you if you want to boot to PXE environments.

• 9.  RE: DS 7.1 Site server components not installing

Posted Mar 29, 2010 11:22 AM
    Found the problem:

the direct connect between the NS & SQL box I setup was causing problems.

My guess is that the PXE server was binding to the 192.168.x.x address vs the public address.

Also, if you don't have the "respond to unknown computers" checked, it will come up with a 3 second prompt asking you if you would like to boot to one of your PXE environments (vs the PXE-E53: boot file not found" error)

• 10.  RE: DS 7.1 Site server components not installing

Posted Mar 31, 2010 07:45 PM
    Yes. DS 7.1 SBS(PXE) has an issue with multiple NICs. it binds to the first NIC found and it might be the incorrect NIC. Glad to hear you are up and running.

Nelo