Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SAV for Linux integration with Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1

Posted Oct 21, 2011 08:51 AM

Hello,

I've been reading through documentation to try and find the integration capabilities between Symantec Antivirus for Linux and Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1.  My companies Endpoint Protection Manager comes with the packages required to install Symantec Antivirus for Linux, and it does install without any issues.  Reading through the documentation provided for the Manager and Linux Client, I do not see any clear way to receive updates from the Endpoint Manager or provide any other integration.

Are these two applications able to work together in any way?  If so, what services can be shared between and how?

Thank you for your time and help.

Eric Hart
    Sys Admin

• 2.  RE: SAV for Linux integration with Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 21, 2011 09:08 AM

SEPM does not provide updates to Linux machine. It can provide updates to managed SEP windows clients.

Linux clients can get the updates from Internal Liveupdate administrator or Symantec Live Update.

Also they might be interest to you.

The Symantec AntiVirus for Linux (SAVFL) Reporter allows you to monitor and report on the following information from the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) console:

• Computer Status Logs
    • Scan Logs
    • Risk Logs

Check this article to achieve this

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC3474

• 3.  RE: SAV for Linux integration with Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1

Posted Oct 21, 2011 10:22 AM

Thank you for the information.  I'll be testing out the reporter this afternoon. 

• 4.  RE: SAV for Linux integration with Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 21, 2011 10:34 AM

Great. Let know how it goes?

look at the readme doc for sure

• 5.  RE: SAV for Linux integration with Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1

Posted Oct 24, 2011 05:46 AM

Hi Eric,

"Thumbs up" to Pete's advice, above!  Just adding a short elaboration. 

Depending on the number of SAVFL clients in your organization, you may wish to install an internal LUA 2.x server on your network to download the latest Linux AV definitions for them once, and prevent a lot of duplicate bandwidth-consuming downloads.

Installing and Configuring LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x (LUA 2.x)
    Article: TECH102701 | Created: 2007-01-19 | Updated: 2011-06-14 |
    Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH102701

Configuring LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x to Download and Distribute Symantec Antivirus for Linux Contents
    Article: TECH152311 | Created: 2011-01-31 | Updated: 2011-01-31 |
    Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH152311

Hope this helps!

• 6.  RE: SAV for Linux integration with Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1

Posted Jan 25, 2012 02:58 AM

Hi Eric,

Just curious to see if you got SAVFL Reporter successfully sending information to your SEPM, and hoping you might be willing to spend a few minutes adding any advice or recommendations to this thread for the benefit of future admins.

I have SAV for Linux Reporter working in my environment- one possible point of confusion is that the necessary installer is now supplied with the SAVFL release rather than downloaded seperately.  It is not installed automatically of course- it is in a seperate Reporter directory on the CD.

Thanks and best regards,

Mick