Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Error: Failed to update unattend.xml file

Posted Aug 27, 2010 01:44 PM

Hello,

i run ngss 2.5 on windows server 2008 r2. The clients are windows 7 64 bit. I have already tested ngss imaging features successfully: i created images and restored them on client machines. On the client i used a basic windows 7 installation with norton ghost console.

Now i have installed a long list of software (including visual studio 2008, various libraries tools and sdks) on the master client machine and wanted to capture an image but now the boot to virtual partition always fails with the error message: "failed to update unattend.xml". I have no idea why this suddenly happens, because i use the same configuration files as before and also the windowspe image was not changed.

I have read in another thread that the pe image should not be changed. I am not sure if i understand that correctly but i had to change the pe image because the nic drivers did not work at first. I have added the newest broadcom driver to the pe image and all went well. So i guess thats not the problem.

Can anyone please help me?

regards,
    Roland koenig

• 2.  RE: Error: Failed to update unattend.xml file

Posted Aug 28, 2010 12:58 AM

Hi,

There are multiple reasons for this issue. I found a document which speaks on this issue,

http://service1.symantec.com/support/on-technology.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/a5583e2c47989fdf8825756000556cec?OpenDocument

Hope this helps

Regards,
    Prasanna
    _____________________________________________________________________________________
    If you feel your issue has been addressed to, please use the "Mark as Solution" link for the relevant thread

• 3.  RE: Error: Failed to update unattend.xml file

Posted Aug 28, 2010 07:29 AM
    Thanks Prasanna,

i have meant that document in my previous post. I checked all points in the list:

1. yes, i had to change the pe image, because at first, reboot to virtual partition worked, but the nic was not configured. So i added the newest broadcom drivers to the pe image and all went well.

2. I have also checked the size: if i remember correctly (i am at home now) it is about 250 MB.

3. I also tried deleting the incoming/winpe folder on the client, with no result.

4. Drive C: on the client machine has about 60GB free of 100GB.

5. I did liveupdate to most current version of ngss when i installed it. I also did a liveupdate when i received the error.

6. ok i didnt try that, maybe i will when i am back in my office. I am really wondering why this error suddenly happens, because i use the same environment (server machine, client machines, ngss configs, winpe image and so on) as before when i successfully captured my test-image. The only thing which changed, is the whole bunch of software on the master client machine where i want to capture the image. I can give a rough list of what i installed, maybe this helps:

1. Viusal Studio 2008
    2. Java SDK
    3. Eclipse
    4. Tortoise
    5. Ankhsvn
    6. QT opensource
    7. qt vs addin
    8. Visual Paradigm for UML
    9. Keil uVision 4
    10. Cygwin
    11. nVidia display driver
    12. Cuda Toolkit 3.1
    13. Openoffice
    14. Adobe Acrobat reader
    15. Python 2.5
    16. ArcCatalog + ArcMap
    17. Winscp
    18. Robopro (Fischertechnik) + update for TX Controllers
    19. Sophos antivir
    20. VirtualBox
    21. ... (there may be more i cant remember now because i am at home)

Maybe there is an compatability issue with some of the software of the list and norton ghost console client?

On monday i will try to capture an image of one of the machines, where i restored the test-image before, so i will see, if the problem comes from server or client side.

regards,
    Roland Koenig

• 4.  RE: Error: Failed to update unattend.xml file
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 30, 2010 01:00 PM

I have reinstalled the client and deleted the files in C:\Program Files(x86)\Symantec\Ghost\INCOMING\winpe and then it worked. I still dont know why this didnt work a few days ago, maybe ive been too frustrated then.

regards,
    Roland