Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Migration User

Migration UserFeb 16, 2010 11:28 AM

• 1.  C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Posted Feb 16, 2010 11:02 AM
    Our SEPM server continues to run out of Hard Drive space because of "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic" filling up with .DAT files. Could anyone shed some light on what might be cause this? We have made no changes to our system or Policies. This issue started occuring yesterday. There are no unusual events logged in our Event Viewer.

• 2.  RE: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Posted Feb 16, 2010 11:10 AM
    what is the version of sepm you are running, it was a bug in earlier version

ymantec Endpoint Protection Manager "AgentInfo" folder fills with multiple .DAT files.
    Fix ID: 1261236
    Symptom: Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager "AgentInfo" folder fills up with .DAT event files.
    Solution: Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager now better processes the events sent by the client so the folder will not fill up.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid_p/2007121216360648 

• 3.  RE: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Posted Feb 16, 2010 11:28 AM
     Migrate your SEPM to RU5/11.0.5002.33

• 4.  RE: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Posted Feb 16, 2010 11:33 AM

We are running 11.0.4014.26. My next question would be why did this all of a sudden occur? We have been up and running on this platform for a good while.

• 5.  RE: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Posted Feb 16, 2010 11:38 AM
    Bug :) cant help , upgrading will be the best option
    the problem is with .dat files not getting processes this leaves incorrect data about client and also left out files.

Migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 RU5
    http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009090313483348

Upgrading clients by using AutoUpgrade

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/330686.htm 

• 6.  RE: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Posted Feb 16, 2010 11:38 AM
    This must have been an ongoing issue but you might have noticed it after your HardDisk was full. 

• 7.  RE: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Posted Feb 16, 2010 12:00 PM
    Is the upgrade process the only way to resolve this issue short term. Ideally we are going to upgrade ASAP, but we have set policy where things have to be tested before putting into production. This will take time in other words.

Also this just did start happening yesterday per the date on the .dat files that have accumulated. Is it possible to purge these files in order to free up some space?

• 8.  RE: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Posted Feb 16, 2010 12:00 PM
    you can purge them for time being
    Stop symantec manager service and sep service and delete all the .dat files 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/low-server-disk-space-due-millions-dat-files-agentinfo-folder

• 9.  RE: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Posted Feb 16, 2010 12:34 PM
    Before deleting these I want to make sure that the wrong assumption didnt get made at the beginning of the thread. I am acquiring about the path "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic" the thread above "https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/low-server-disk-space-due-millions-dat-files-agentinfo-folder" talks about clearing .dat files out of the AgentInfo directory. Just wanted to make sure that it applies to my issue.

• 10.  RE: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Posted Feb 16, 2010 12:50 PM
     in SEPM - Admin- Servers- local site -properties- Log Settings
    50,000 entries change that to 10,000 or 5000
    The traffic Logs would be set for 60 days change that to 10 days
    Then it should bring down the size.

• 11.  RE: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Posted Feb 16, 2010 01:05 PM
    Vikram thanks for the heads up on the location of the settings, but unfortunatley in our case i dont believe this would  work. There are 3 .dat files being generated every minute. Even if I set the logging threash hold to 5 days we would still run out of disk space.  We need to determine why these all of a sudden started being populated so that we can correct this issue.

Can anyone tell me what these .dat files are used for and why they might be stacking up like they are?

• 12.  RE: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Posted Feb 16, 2010 01:17 PM
    these are  info about the clients would upload to the manager, as paul mentioned these are generally large ,SEPM should read and purge them , not sure why it got populated all of a sudden, may be the SEPM cant read  now , corrected in later versions

• 13.  RE: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Posted Feb 16, 2010 01:29 PM
    whats your communication setting, is it in push mode or pullmode?
    check this for the frequency of data which is uploaded.
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/heart-beat 

• 14.  RE: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Posted Feb 16, 2010 02:07 PM
    We are using both modes on different groups/policies. Is there a service that handles processing these files that we might be able to stop and restart. It seems since this just started occuring that maybe something got hung up and just needs to be restarted so that these will process again.

• 15.  RE: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Posted Feb 16, 2010 02:15 PM
    its semsrv.exe symantec  manager service,
    you can try deleting the .dat files and then run the management server config wizard, worked for me once...long before. 

• 16.  RE: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Posted Feb 16, 2010 04:44 PM
    Rafeeq I tried your solution, but no go. I have opened a support ticket into Symantec so hopefully they can shed some light on the issue. 

• 17.  RE: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\traffic filling up with .DAT files

Posted Feb 16, 2010 04:46 PM
    If you are using SQL server as SEPM database then you might need to re-install SQL agent.
    If you have any Group Policy applied on SEP services then you've got to remove it.