Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Timeout on Protection Center

Posted May 05, 2010 05:33 AM

Does anyone know of a way to increase the timeout on the Symantec Protection Center that comes with RU6a? I have it setup and monitoring a couple of systems but everytime I go back to it I have to log in again...

• 2.  RE: Timeout on Protection Center
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 05, 2010 06:05 AM

Open and log into the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

Click on the Admin tab

Click on Servers

Right click on Local Site and select Edit Properties

Click the Console Timeout dropdown and select the desired time

Click OK

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008081512212848

• 3.  RE: Timeout on Protection Center

Posted May 05, 2010 06:09 AM
    Thanks, I didnt realise the same timeout was for the protection centre as well as SEPM. Shame there is no value in between '1 hour' and 'Never'  though, I want it somewhere in the middle!

• 4.  RE: Timeout on Protection Center

Posted May 05, 2010 06:18 AM
    Actually, the timeout of the protection centre seems to be much quicker than the timeout of the SEPM that you suggested so it looks like it might be set by a different setting...

• 5.  RE: Timeout on Protection Center

Posted May 05, 2010 08:25 AM
    Try this once
    1 Open the Reporter.php file, which is located in the \Program Files\Symantec\
    Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Inetpub\Reporting\Resources
    directory.
    2 Use any text editor to add the following settings to the file:
    ■ $CommandTimeout =xxxx
    ■ $ConnectionTimeout =xxxx
    Timeout values are in seconds. If you specify zero, or leave the fields blank,
    the default settings are used.

• 6.  RE: Timeout on Protection Center

Posted May 05, 2010 08:49 AM
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Tried those values but no change. The portal seems to run on the tomcat side, not the IIS side.

• 7.  RE: Timeout on Protection Center

Posted May 05, 2010 09:44 AM
    Which is the version of browser you are using?
    Symantec Protection Center has the following browser requirements:

Browser
    Internet Explorer 7 or 8

Browser settings
    Enhanced Security Configuration disabled

Internet Explorer 8: run in Compatibility Mode

You may also need to be aware of the following product-specific requirements:

Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager
    If you use a limited administrator account to register with Protection Center, the account must include reporting rights. Otherwise, the registration fails.

To view the product console without scrolling, you need a display resolution of at least 1280X1024.

• 8.  RE: Timeout on Protection Center

Posted May 05, 2010 10:01 AM
    If you login to SEPM locally (not through protection center) are you facing this problem?

• 9.  RE: Timeout on Protection Center

Posted May 05, 2010 11:41 AM
    Hmm actually I've done a load of timing this afternoon and it does seem to follow the same value that pete_4u2002 suggested. I've tried changing it to 'Never' and the sessions appear to stay open (so far). Its a shame there isnt a value beteen 1 hour and never.
    Thanks for you help all.